DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I? or shouldn't I?... start my flying experience with a Mavic Pro Platinum?

NOWitsOK

Reactions
Hi everyone

I retired vet that dabbles with video (camcorders) and I'm considering getting a quad to expand my dabbling.
I'm currently watching hours and hours of YouTube videos and somewhere along the way I found out about this web/forum site.
I here for guidance if my thinking is off.
So first off, I'm thinking that because the Mavic has that "beginner" mode that it could be a safe quad to learn with if took it step by step. Thoughts?
Some may ask, why the Mavic Pro Platinum instead of the reg Mavic Pro, and the main reason is the sound.
To me, in videos the reg Mavic Pro sounds more like a swarm of bees while the Platinum doesn't. I could be wrong just my opinion.
My camcorder is a 4K and thus I'm interested in a quad with very good video and I also like the idea of the Mavic being so compact.

Thanks...NOWitsOK.

Reactions: stpatrick
Hi NOWitsOK-

I share your reasoning for picking the MPP. I've not received it yet, but am looking for the least noisy and most portable drone with acceptable video capabilities. I'm hoping to train carefully and learn on this so that hopefully if/when the Phantom 5 is introduced it will be quieter and I'll be able to justify the investment in a much better camera set-up that will come with that.

I'm thinking that because the Mavic has that "beginner" mode that it could be a safe quad to learn with if took it step by step. Thoughts?
All of the current DJI drones come packed with beginner mode. So, this would be an option no matter which DJI drone you choose.

To me, in videos the reg Mavic Pro sounds more like a swarm of bees while the Platinum doesn't.
Neither is quiet. If you want to save some cash, you could buy the Mavic Pro and purchase the new low-noise props separately. They are compatible with all Mavic models.

Reactions: NOWitsOK
Hi everyone

I retired vet that dabbles with video (camcorders) and I'm considering getting a quad to expand my dabbling.
I'm currently watching hours and hours of YouTube videos and somewhere along the way I found out about this web/forum site.
I here for guidance if my thinking is off.
So first off, I'm thinking that because the Mavic has that "beginner" mode that it could be a safe quad to learn with if took it step by step. Thoughts?
Some may ask, why the Mavic Pro Platinum instead of the reg Mavic Pro, and the main reason is the sound.
To me, in videos the reg Mavic Pro sounds more like a swarm of bees while the Platinum doesn't. I could be wrong just my opinion.
My camcorder is a 4K and thus I'm interested in a quad with very good video and I also like the idea of the Mavic being so compact.

Thanks...NOWitsOK.
Howdy from Wyoming NOWitsOK, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Hi all,
I just unboxed and flew my new platinum this morning. I too, was interested in the least amount of noise, along with the portabililty. However, it still sounds like a swarm of bees under 100 ft. Also, I'm going to need to spend more time working on the focus and camera work. You will probably be great at it. It seems very stable and smooth. Light and variable winds with mechanical disturbances from trees and hills around my backyard didn't seem to bother the video. I am in love with the precise landing capability! So far, no regrets!

I too, was interested in the least amount of noise
The low noise props are the best available option. You can pick them up here on Amazon or direct from DJI here. You'll need two sets (since each set only comes with two props).

Last edited:
The Mavic is so stable and responsive that it is "safe" to learn with. In fact, it is so stable (at least mine is) that you don't have to learn much to fly it. I would suggest this video for beginners:
As far as the sound is concerned, I put the new low-noise props on my Mavic Pro (MP) and it is quieter, but not quiet. Instead of sounding like a hive of angry bees, it now sounds like a lazy bumble-bee and is really unnoticeable over 100 feet away unless it is a very still/quiet day. I do not know whether to advise getting the MP Platinum or the MP. The MPP has newer motor technology that makes it more efficient but I would wait a while for DJI to work out the bugs (like they had on the original MP). I may be off-base on this but I am wary of new technology and it seems like DJI could use more beta-testing before release (their software updates sometimes cause more problems than they fix).

I also got the MP because it is so compact. I was going to get a Phantom for the better camera but the portability of the MP just can't be beat. I have it in the car and take it everywhere; you just don't know when a great flying opportunity will present itself.

Last edited:
It looks like you are planning retirement activities very logically. You can't go wrong with either of the Mavics. You will find yourself also learning a lot about cameras, for, after, all, they are also called "flying cameras." I also have a Phantom 3 Standard which I still really like. The reason is the camera is so simple yet takes great photos. The Mavic is not so simple. It's camera is pretty complex. But learning about the camera is itself another hobby. I got the Mavic for portability and carry it around on my property ready to launch. I'm now finding more uses, like going to check fencing, a gate, water troughs, hay with cows, the creek level. Simply rising high above your home on any nice day and looking 360 degrees is an amazing view, enjoyable. Just be cautious always. It is an expensive toy. Don't be careless. Think out your routes. Be aware of any obstacle the Mavic might not be able to see, like a wire or leafy branch, especially at dusk.

All of the current DJI drones come packed with beginner mode. So, this would be an option no matter which DJI drone you choose.

Neither is quiet. If you want to save some cash, you could buy the Mavic Pro and purchase the new low-noise props separately. They are compatible with all Mavic models.

Thanks for the info and links...probably will download the manuals and read them ahead of time.

The Mavic is so stable and responsive that it is "safe" to lean with. In fact, it is so stable (at least mine is) that you don't have to learn much to fly it. I would suggest this video for beginners:
As far as the sound is concerned, I put the new low-noise props on my Mavic Pro (MP) and it is quieter, but not quiet. Instead of sounding like a hive of angry bees, it now sounds like a lazy bumble-bee and is really unnoticeable over 100 feet away unless it is a very still/quiet day. I do not know whether to advise getting the MP Platinum or the MP. The MPP has newer motor technology that makes it more efficient but I would wait a while for DJI to work out the bugs (like they had on the original MP). I may be off-base on this but I am wary of new technology and it seems like DJI could use more beta-testing before release (their software updates sometimes cause cause more problems than they fix).

I also got the MP because it is so compact. I was going to get a Phantom for the better camera but the portability of the MP just can't be beat. I have it in the car and take it everywhere; you just don't know when a great flying opportunity will present itself.

Thanks for the video link. I subscribed to his channel as I thought he had a lot of good information.

It looks like you are planning retirement activities very logically. You can't go wrong with either of the Mavics. You will find yourself also learning a lot about cameras, for, after, all, they are also called "flying cameras." I also have a Phantom 3 Standard which I still really like. The reason is the camera is so simple yet takes great photos. The Mavic is not so simple. It's camera is pretty complex. But learning about the camera is itself another hobby. I got the Mavic for portability and carry it around on my property ready to launch. I'm now finding more uses, like going to check fencing, a gate, water troughs, hay with cows, the creek level. Simply rising high above your home on any nice day and looking 360 degrees is an amazing view, enjoyable. Just be cautious always. It is an expensive toy. Don't be careless. Think out your routes. Be aware of any obstacle the Mavic might not be able to see, like a wire or leafy branch, especially at dusk.

I have a good amount of experience with SLR, well they are DSLR's now days. I've notice when I looked around on YouTube, there were a few still photographers that seem to be well helpful with the Mavics camera settings.
Thanks for your reply

I’m also a retired vet and decided to get into the drone hobby. After months of research I finally went with the MPP since I’m a first time buyer. Figured it was the better choice overall especially with the smoother ramp up of the props due to the new ESC’s.

Howdy from Wyoming NOWitsOK, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.
Yes, I doing as much research on drone as possible. I always seem to come back to the Mavic Pro system due to several reason and the main ones being three. 1. The relative ease for a beginner to learn to fly (I understand the DJI line are all this way) 2. The size, not taking up a huge amount of space. 3. Being able to shoot in 4k

If you want to save some cash, you could buy the Mavic Pro and purchase the new low-noise props separately. They are compatible with all Mavic models.
Yes, the new Mavic Pro Platinum props are compatible with the earlier Mavic Pro. However, according to DJI, mounting the MPP props on a MP will make the MP slightly quieter, but not as quiet as the MPP.

Last edited:
You can still hear the drone. It's more a difference in tone. If just now buying maybe worth the extra $100, not an upgrade when you can just add the props. Your call.

I used the new props on my MP first time yesterday. definitely quieter, but then there are certain tones/ frequencies I don't hear, and the props did make a different sound. But like them anyway, ordered another set.

I have a good amount of experience with SLR, well they are DSLR's now days. I've notice when I looked around on YouTube, there were a few still photographers that seem to be well helpful with the Mavics camera settings.
Thanks for your reply

All the photographic principles and digital limitations still apply with the Mavic camera

For the 100 bucks you save choosing the regular MP I would get that new 99$ DJI Tello drone on the side for indoor practice and fun.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78