DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I report 107 pilot to FAA?

Should I report to the FAA a 107 violator who is a competitor?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thomashall1993

Reactions
I just created a business in my local town and am certified by the FAA as a 107 Remote Pilot. I also just graduated from college at the age of 42 with an accounting degree and one of the biggest things that I absorbed from my expensive education is that your business should be ethical and legal in all regards. There is another drone business in town that is operating with a 107 license and has been working with a local non-profit to capture photos and videos of local events, but he is violating rules blatantly flying over people's heads, and not just 1 or 2, but large crowds which come out to see the events. If it was just a minor infraction, I probably would not be concerned but there is enough bad news about our industry on the news lately and I believe that we should be operating within the regs that have been established so that we can set an example for our industry. My dilemma is should I report his activities to the FAA or not? I am not interested in "getting him" in order to make him look bad and make me look better. I do not have time for that kind of petty activity, but I want to do what is right. Would love professional, respectful, and courteous advice as to which direction to move in.

Thomas

PS, I have included a picture that shows a sample size of the crowds he was flying over. When I obtained it, I sent my drone straight up, got my pictures and came straight down. I do not believe in violating our policies that have been established in order to "get the shot" or to make great products.

Attachments

• 05-02-17-6.jpg
    05-02-17-6.jpg
    8.1 MB · Views: 122
Instead of calling down the wrath of Big Stupid Government people who could only get government jobs upon him first thing, why not just take him aside quietly and remind him he's looking like an ***, possibly endangering people and likely harming the image of drone owners?

Reactions: trriley5
Instead of calling down the wrath of Big Stupid Government people who could only get government jobs upon him first thing, why not just take him aside quietly and remind him he's looking like an ***, possibly endangering people and likely harming the image of drone owners?

Thomas
Tom
great
MAY 8TH, 9:50PM
Thomas
You can’t fly a small UAS over anyone who is not directly participating in the operation,
Well I do not think that the hundreds of people in the street who didn't give permission for you to fly over their head was in line with the part 107 regulations, but that is up to you. I'm just giving you a heads up on how I'm reading the rule.
the policy reads
You can’t fly a small UAS over anyone who is not directly participating in the operation, not under a covered structure, or not inside a covered stationary vehicle.
not all of the people in the street were participating, gave permission, or were under a covered structure or in a stationary vehicle.
20800295_1560082560697640_1306781525378379132_n.jpg

They were participating at the show. I was asked to come, and asked to fly. As remote pic I took every precaution. I took the course and obtained the license. There is a tremendous amount of gray area regarding this subject, Also people fly helicopters and planes over our heads all the time, no one cares about a drone especially if someone is a certified pilot and insured
Thomas
ok, well I guess I just take the regulations literally. You're welcome to do interpret the faa regs how you want. We'll just have to disagree with that. Other than that, the footage looks good.

I've been around the stuff a long time and I've seen much worse. Have you taken the remote pilot course? Or any course for that matter? In the course you will learn of these gray areas. I highly recommend you take a course if you're planning on getting her license because the test is no slouch

And thank you your pictures look good to
People should always look out for each other, I also know for a fact FAA rules are changing regularly. This is a very new industry so get your foot in quick
My cousin has flown professionally for a private sector security company the last eight years. He has UAVs capable of reaching 45 miles
Thomas
I'm not gonna argue with you over how to interpret the reg. Thats on you, lol. As for me, I'm a by the book kind of guy, as it keeps me out of trouble. Had too much trouble in the last 10 years and not interested in getting into it again.
\

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC