DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should I return my new drone?

• Thread starter Deleted member 125445
  • Start date
No, you will find places where you will have a great and long line of site and for those few times when you don't, so what, just don't make it a habit. But if you do, just be safe and considerate.

That is one of the things that annoys me most about that VLOS rule. Watching my screen is far safer than trying to fly by looking at the sky.
This post is all I needed to buy a strobe for my Air, it is difficult to keep it in sight even on a good day for me. Some times I can't find even close to home, a quick drop in altitude helps me reacquire it. Hopefully, it will be easer now.

You've already sent the drone back, according to your post on another thread.
Do as Sar104 says, give up on trolling now, we've all read your tale if woe.
Dirkclod has also terminated your other thread, perhaps he should do the same with this one.

Reactions: Fixit
You've already sent the drone back, according to your post on another thread.
Do as Sar104 says, give up on trolling now, we've all read your tale if woe.
Dirkclod has also terminated your other thread, perhaps he should do the same with this one.

The OP has actually left the forum - account deleted - so this thread has definitely passed its sell-by date.

Reactions: RonW
I just ordered a strobe from Polar Pro for my elderly Mavic Pro. Looks like I can use it on my Mavic Air, also. I try to stay in VLOS in town, but have to say that, out in the Arizona desert and mountains, it is quickly impossible to see a drone, even 100 feet away. I’m hoping the strobe will help.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
@Jim Mavic Pilot VLOS is a relative term,and every ones VLOS will be different,depending on their vision
another factor to consider is the conditions being flown in at the time ie bright sunlight or an overcast dull day
this will have a profound effect on your ability to see your drone,so VLOS will be different on different days
all of us me included, struggle to see our drones at distance, after we have looked down at the screen to compose a shot or look at the screen data
i wear bifocals and have coloured skins and strobes on my drones to aid VLOS, you dont have to fly far and wide to enjoy the pastime, and some of the most fun i have ,is with my MM flying through trees some 20ft in front of me
Ive always been too paranoid to fly too far anyway. Ivebeen at this for 2 years now and my sphincter tightens up everytime I lose sight for a few minutes. I cant imagine a new flyer would relish the idea of losing sight of 1500.00. That takes practice.

Reactions: miked37945
I am a brand new pilot and I love my new Mavic Air 2. I have had no problems flying it, but I do have problems meeting the FAA Visual Line of Sight rule. I have decent vision, but I can't legally fly very far because I can't see the aircraft after a few hundred feet. I assume most pilots just ignore this rule, but I don't want to feel like a criminal every time I fly. A hobby is supposed to be fun, but this restriction takes away the fun. At this point, I think the best thing for me to do is to return the drone and get my money back. Does anyone want to talk me out of this?
It will take time for you to become comfortable with not seeing the drone 100% of the time. I, personally, do my best to keep my drone within about a 1000ft from me, but there are times where I take it beyond VLOS. Practice and time will increase your comfort level, but even now I still get a little nervous. For me, that's part of the fun.

I am a brand new pilot and I love my new Mavic Air 2. I have had no problems flying it, but I do have problems meeting the FAA Visual Line of Sight rule. I have decent vision, but I can't legally fly very far because I can't see the aircraft after a few hundred feet. I assume most pilots just ignore this rule, but I don't want to feel like a criminal every time I fly. A hobby is supposed to be fun, but this restriction takes away the fun. At this point, I think the best thing for me to do is to return the drone and get my money back. Does anyone want to talk me out of this?
VLOS. By definition, Visual line of sight is a line between your eye and the drone without any obstructions in the way. It doesn't say you have to actually "see" the drone.

Reactions: tonydeli7
VLOS. By definition, Visual line of sight is a line between your eye and the drone without any obstructions in the way. It doesn't say you have to actually "see" the drone.

No - that's wrong. You are describing "Line of sight" (LOS). VLOS adds the requirement that you must be able to see the drone and visually be able to determine its attitude, altitude, and direction of flight.

In the vernacular of my native people, "Put lights, bro'."

D

I invite you all the VLOS Superdome!

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Me being a glass half full sorta guy I'm happy to see drone enthusiasts who were questioning their passion pick up some good tips for better lighting and enjoying the benefits of closer vlos.

Looking forward to posting some solid pics and videos from the Outer Banks of North Carolina within the week after I make time to download and edit. Happy flying y'all!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661