DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should people with Glasses be allowed to fly Planes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate

Reactions
I started flying lessons recently and was surprised to find out people with glasses can fly planes?
You cant join the army if you need glasses, how can you be allowed to fly a plane and put others at risk
I think its a fair discussion

I started flying lessons recently and was surprised to find out people with glasses can fly planes?
You cant join the army if you need glasses, how can you be allowed to fly a plane and put others at risk
Hmm.. I thought you were allowed to wear corrective lenses in the US ARMY.

On the front line? In wartime i think..which is still all the time, so maybe yes
You drop your glasses maybe you get shot, you dont crash a passenger plane

You are less likely for your glasses to fall off flying a plane than crawling through dense undergrowth on your belly me thinks

You are less likely for your glasses to fall off flying a plane than crawling through dense undergrowth on your belly me thinks

What about turbulence.
In a drastic situation The one time you need them they would be falling off
Not like you can reach down to get them when your pinned to the seat by a microburst/windshear
etc

I think you’re under the impression the slightest movement will make them fall off which isn’t the case.
I’m not even sure this is a serious post?

Reactions: Kestrel
I can ride a roller coaster upside down and my glasses will stay on. I wear contacts though.

Vision and Medical Requirements
The Army doesn't note specific vision requirements on its website, but good vision is important to your ability to perform duties as a soldier. If your vision is weak without glasses, take them to testing. Given the physical demands and climate you could face in training and combat, contact lenses are potentially more comfortable.

just noted they didn't allow it in ww1 until 1916, when the age, height and vision requirements were reduced.
But I digress, trenches are not the cockpit of a plane, and they were all brave men glasses or not

A cockpit isn't nessacerily the place for being daring

You cannot fly fighter Jets in the military if you have less than 20/20 vision.
The airlines put away that rule a long time ago.
Your medical certificate (to fly) will state “must wear corrective lenses” or “must possess corrective lenses”

Trust me. I’m an airline Captain, Line Check Airman, CFI , UAS Certificated Operator

My father flew F104 Starfighters and I inherited astigmatism...from him. At 18, I went through air crew selection for the Air Force where it was detected and went no further (although at that stage I'd already gotten my glider and then private licences). My father flew his entire career on fighters - with glasses - without issue.
The reality is there's lots of competition and lots of cost in training, so understandably it is used as a screening criteria, but once the training is done it'd be crazy to flush that down the toilet. I've never heard of a "glasses fell off" incident relating to a crash (not to say it's never happened).

This is not true......did you see Full Metal Jacket the movie?
Cowboy wear glasses but he died @ the end coz of sniper fire.....Joking:)

They even let people fly that are totally blind in one eye! To fly passengers there must be 3 good eyes in the cockpit. No joke.

My father flew F104 Starfighters and I inherited astigmatism...from him. At 18, I went through air crew selection for the Air Force where it was detected and went no further (although at that stage I'd already gotten my glider and then private licences). My father flew his entire career on fighters - with glasses - without issue.
The reality is there's lots of competition and lots of cost in training, so understandably it is used as a screening criteria, but once the training is done it'd be crazy to flush that down the toilet. I've never heard of a "glasses fell off" incident relating to a crash (not to say it's never happened).

Do you mind if ask what Squadron? not to check or anything, I just
enjoy the history of the f-104. My hats off the people who flew them.

There was some, if you'll indulge me "JSF style" export controversy about them you'll remember.
Erich Hartmann, did not want them for the burgenoing West German Airforce as they required such an experienced pilot.
Earned "the Widowmaker" title as you know

edit: couldn't help myself..

Sam Shepard 1943-2017

Last edited:
  • Sam Shepard 1943-2017

Thanks for the clip. Sam Shepard was such a renaissance man and the images of the a/c are beautiful as well.

Ya know... I'm sure you guys.. well.. thing is, gotta admit, I once this time spent much of my life riding a motorcycle with glasses.

I don't ride on the road so much now, not since someone without any glasses drove their car straight into me....

Is this thread serious?

Yes you can, wear glasses in the Army. Not a pilot but i'm sure you can wear glasses and be able to fly a plane. This post is just LOL. I am a glasses wearer..

You can fly a plane with glasses or contacts provided the eyesight is corrected to the acceptable level. And you must have a spare pair with you at all times.
I can't see why anyone would think its a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143