DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should we always upgrade firmware

Ems_pilot

Reactions
For a number of months my DJI smart controller tells me an update is available. As a PT107 user i am reluctant as I often check my airspace and sometimes fly other than 400’ and almost always toggle off the collision avoidance inside building shoots. I am concerned DJI will decide to limit my choices in new firmware upgrades. How can I be sure this will not happen? Can I roll back an upgrade if needed? Thanks...

For a number of months my DJI smart controller tells me an update is available. As a PT107 user i am reluctant as I often check my airspace and sometimes fly other than 400’ and almost always toggle off the collision avoidance inside building shoots. I am concerned DJI will decide to limit my choices in new firmware upgrades. How can I be sure this will not happen? Can I roll back an upgrade if needed? Thanks...
You can't be sure about anything. If you dont upgrade any bug fixes will not be installed if you stay on the old software there is no guarantee dji will not limit the drones functionality by stopping it working

Reactions: Ems_pilot
I do all updates. Usually it for the better I have never had a problem.

I see no need to chase the latest updates.

If it works as it should. No need to update. Unless a new feature you have to have is added or a specific bug fix.

On both of my SC I have not updated since .05 I believe that was the one came out in 3rd qtr 2019.

Drone flies as it should SC works as expected. I see no need to update.

Your call.

Paul C

Your choice, but consider this: If you have an accident or incident, the authorities investigating will certainly consider lack of current firmware. Insurance companies will look for any reason not to pay out, and not being current on firmware will give them a reason to not pay.

You don’t want to be left completely liable due simply to a lack of firmware currency. But, your level of risk tolerance is your own.

I will take that risk. Nothing broken. Nothing to fix.

There is no feature or bug fix in the latest firmware I need.

Bigger risk is going through the update process and getting something screwed up due to a incomplete test and or the DJI update process causing an issue as it’s no perfect process itself. Plenty of post discussing the various problems with it.

I am out of warranty so DJI would offer me nothing anyway.

Paul C

Last edited:
@Paul2660 Sorry, I was replying to the OP....from his “107” and “inside building shoots” I assumed he was a working professional using his bird for business. I should have been more clear.

@Paul2660 Sorry, I was replying to the OP....from his “107” and “inside building shoots” I assumed he was a working professional using his bird for business. I should have been more clear.

I will update. I have always kept current with any software but with the constant pressure from the government I have been afraid ops would be limited.

Thanks for the replies. I fly new construction builds including interior shots and rarely have the collision sensors active as they interfere with shots up in the girders, etc...

I got my MP2 and Smart Controller in early August of last year, last update of any kind I did was in September. I work on wilderness issues, other stories, commercial work and can not take even the slightest chance of this system getting more locked down so not only do I not update it at all, no firmware, software or geo zones, I never fire up either device near any kind of wifi or cell signal.

This system currently works flawless and the last thing I am going to do is risk having some seed of the future planted that makes it all worthless a year or two down the road.

Hi Fred.

No need to apologize. If I was flying 107 I would have been more concerned about staying current.

I can see the need for updating. I just find that working through issues with DJI support to be problematic. I also fully agree that if a feature or bug is addressed the firmware should be considered.

I am stable at the previous version. I guess I am 2 levels back now. But I jumped in the last update for the Phantom 4 Pro + vr2 hoping DJI fixed the issues around stability in flight. Sadly it did not have any effect on the problem of yawing during hover.

Paul C

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661