DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should we be concerned?????

ANT0407

Reactions
Just saw this article that has me wondering........it says that it disrupts the signal between a drone and controller, and is "ideal" for civilian ,law enforcement, and government. Could this hand held device be pointed at a drone in the air and break the connection to the remote? Or will it stop a drone from taking off in certain areas......

Reactions: Droniac
Illegal in the U.S., even for Law Enforcement. Military is the only entity that can use signal jamming.

Somebody might want to inform the manufacturer of that fact, given their marketing...

The Virginia-based company says DedroneDefender completes its line of counter-UAV tech by offering clients a small, lightweight platform ensuring targeted, precision radio frequency jamming of unauthorized, dangerous, or otherwise potentially troublesome drones.

It says the product is ideal for civilian, state, and local law enforcement users and other operators needing to keep designated airspaces UAV-free in urban settings without disrupting ambient radio signals.

Andy apparently I helped them........lesson learned!

Not so much posting it here, we all know drones are good (in general) :)

Drone DJ site though sometimes posts stories that are aimed to get clicks, get drone pilots to become defensive etc.

Although at the bottom of the article it does state "DroneDefender is a valuable resource for extreme hostile environments, as proven by our federal and military customers,” said Devarakonda in announcing the new addition. “DedroneDefender extends that security to law enforcement and is a vital tool in a layered defense approach."

Lends itself to them really only providing to a select customer base.
You can bet this sort of tech is priced to suit mainly federal and military ownership, out of reach of even the rich private person.

Opening on the story . . .
"Well, you and I probably can't buy this product, . . ."

Reactions: Droniac
Cellular jamming, radar jamming, etc is illegal yet the devices are not unobtainable. Devices are available to capture floating wifi signals and video and displaying them on a handheld receiver... or software defined radio capturing auto remote key codes, but I don't lose sleep over them. So, given the pricing structure, I wouldn't worry about it, nor poo-poo that a declaration of 'verboten' would mean they don't exist. Me, I'm more concerned about the likelihood of my drone losing power and dropping or flying out of control due to pilot (me) error, poor battery management etc

Last edited:
Cellular jamming, radar jamming, etc is illegal yet the devices are not unobtainable. Devices are available to capture floating wifi signals and video and displaying them on a handheld receiver... or software defined radio capturing auto remote key codes, but I don't lose sleep over them. So, given the pricing structure, I wouldn't worry about it, nor poo-poo that a declaration of 'verboten' would mean they don't exist. Me, I'm more concerned about the likelihood of my drone losing power and dropping or flying out of control due to pilot (me) error, poor battery management etc
Jammers: Not only illegal to use but illegal to advertise for sale, as that company is clearly doing.

"capture floating wifi...": Perfectly legal for this or any other radio communications, for example, police band radio. *BUT* you cannot connect to a wifi access point without also transmitting so that can be and is regulated in many ways.

Here’s a pretty good article about it.
P.S. clicked the Amazon link, and its no longer available…

Last edited:
Illegal in the U.S., even for Law Enforcement. Military is the only entity that can use signal jamming.
Certain federal law enforcement agencies such as the FBI and homeland defense agents are allowed to use them but I'm sure it depends on the circumstances such as around the White House area and large events such as during the Super Bowl game.

Reactions: ANT0407
Considering you can buy them on Amazon for around $5800 it warrants watching!
I checked, Amazon here in the US has taken all drone jamming guns down.
That being said, I don’t even know if they were ever available on the US Amazon site.
I can’t quote laws, but I do know that jamming devices are highly illegal.

Somebody might want to inform the manufacturer of that fact, given their marketing...
When will someone use one of these, cause a drone to fall out of the sky and injure someone, or worst? Knowing how litigious the US, and increasingly so elsewhere, is about these sort of things, they will surely end up getting sued for millions.

Couldn't hurt

I am going to try and place an order for one and see what happens

Attachments

• CELL.png
    CELL.png
    317 KB · Views: 18

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member