DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should we own drones like chainsaws?

gemniii

Reactions
If you cut a lot of trees you probably have had a tree bite your bar and still refuse to fall.
Ways to continue are usually:
1. Cut with another chainsaw
2. Cut with a bowsaw or ax
3. Remove powerhead and get another bar and chain, then continue to fall the tree.

Thus many chainsaw users have several chainsaws.

After reading another thread of "I lost my Mavic" it occurs to me that one of the best tools to find a drone stuck up in tall trees would be another drone.

Just one more justification to buy a second drone and keep the first.

If you cut a lot of trees you probably have had a tree bite your bar and still refuse to fall.
3. Remove powerhead and get another bar and chain, then continue to fall the tree.

After reading another thread of "I lost my Mavic" it occurs to me that one of the best tools to find a drone stuck up in tall trees would be another drone.

I have two STIHL chainsaws to cut down trees that snag my Mavics.

My MA2 got stuck on top of my house while coming home from a night flight. I used my P4Pv2 to retrieve it by creating a long hanging hook and fishing it down. I was a little nervous about the weight, but the Phantom handled it with no problem.

My MA2 got stuck on top of my house while coming home from a night flight. I used my P4Pv2 to retrieve it by creating a long hanging hook and fishing it down. I was a little nervous about the weight, but the Phantom handled it with no problem.

Hmmmmm..... what a strange comparison. But. You do you and I do me..... [emoji41].

Reactions: New England Droning
I started to make the mistake of using my MM to find a brand new toy drone that flew off in to some trees. I stopped myself when I realized I was putting $400 in jeopardy to find a $30 pos that disappeared on its maiden flight. But using the Mini to find my MA2 or another good/ expensive drone would make more sense

Hmmmmm..... what a strange comparison. But. You do you and I do me..... [emoji41].
Nothing strange about it at all. The OP suggested that one of the best tools one might have for locating a drone stuck in a tree is another drone. I gave an example of how I used one my drones to retrieve another of my drones. You really fail to see the comparison?

You do you. I’ll do me.

Nothing strange about it at all. The OP suggested that one of the best tools one might have for locating a drone stuck in a tree is another drone. I gave an example of how I used one my drones to retrieve another of my drones. You really fail to see the comparison?

You do you. I’ll do me.

Yeah I guess I am just silly that way. Sorry I can’t get on your brainwaves. Or am I. ???

I've Stihls - 021, 660, 088, depends on how big the tree is, and then a Woodmizer LT10 to dispose of the body.
I have 3 Stihls, a MS260, MS362 and my chainsaw on a stick, not sure the number off the top of my head, and an Echo 301 top handle and a Woodmaxx 26e to get rid of the bodies!
Second drone actually sounds pretty good!

Reactions: Romulus Archibald
Ok, lets say I lose my MA2 way up a 97 foot tree, it hit pretty fast so its buried in there pretty far, but , I bought a Mini just for this reason and I locate my MA2...
HOW do I get it down? Yes I can drop that tree but I think that would spell certain disaster for the drone... so what do I do?
I am way to old to climb up there and get it.

Last edited:
Ok, lets say I lose my MA2 way up a 97 foot tree, it hit pretty fast so its buried in there pretty far, but , I bought a Mini just for this reason and I locate my MA2...
HOW do I get it down? Yes I can drop that tree but I think that would spell certain disaster... so what do I do?
I am way to old to climb up there and get it.
This is a strange discussion to say the least! I am not a tree hugger by any means but I know that to replace a nice tall tree would cost a lot more than most drones.

Indeed! Also worth having one extra of most everything - although I have successfully used a sawz-all to rescue my chainsaw, two drones are a must for when one is under the weather. Or - just for fun.IMG_0066.JPG

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan

Probably better to stay with one drone and one chainsaw so you've got something to fell the tree with in order to recover the drone :)

Well I have to admit I own both a Mavic 2 pro and a Mavic Mini and I'm considering a mini2....

As for chainsaws.... I made the mistake of loaning mine out to friend a number of years ago and it did not return in the same condition I lent it. I told the story to an old Geezer and he explained one of the rules in life.. never loan out a chain saw... just like with a woman if won't come back int he same condition..... sorry, but that is a true story.

Hmm, been lookin for an excuse to buy another drone, Christmas is coming, do you suppose dw will go along with this idea, a rescue spare?

I have used my P4Pv2 to find other drones, not necessarily retrieve them.

This is a strange discussion to say the least! I am not a tree hugger by any means but I know that to replace a nice tall tree would cost a lot more than most drones.
But that nice tall tree makes for some great lumber!!

Reactions: alex1953

If you cut lots of trees you know how to use felling wedges and don't have that problem very often.

Reactions: WithTheBirds
This main reason that I bought the new Mini 2 is to use it in high risk situations where I would not want to risk losing my M2Z. If I can fly with the same range as the M2Z, I prefer to risk the Mini 2. If I determine that it's safe to send the M2Z after initial Mini 2 flight, I would feel it's less risky.
So I run the Mini 2 on "point" (military jargon:)

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan