DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Should we own drones like chainsaws?

If you cut a lot of trees you probably have had a tree bite your bar and still refuse to fall.
Ways to continue are usually:
1. Cut with another chainsaw
2. Cut with a bowsaw or ax
3. Remove powerhead and get another bar and chain, then continue to fall the tree.
Thus many chainsaw users have several chainsaws.
Or you could just release the pinched chain using a felling wedge to spread the cut. :)
www.toppickguide.com/best-felling-wedges-review/

edit: A.O. beat me to it.

Are we talking job or hobby? If we’re talking hobby one drone is enough, just buy a used one that nobody really used for cheap, play the crap out of it and then if you get stuck or lost just go buy another one. No sense in buying two pieces of old technology to keep around just to save old technology. At least this way you get an upgrade. So if we are comparing this to chainsaws. I think chainsaws are more like work and not so much a hobby. I don’t enjoy cutting trees down and stacking wood the same way I enjoy my drone when I fly it LOL

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Well, we don't own a chainsaw.....ooops, I lied, we have a little electric buzzer that's only good (barely) for trimming branches. But in the spirit of the OP, rationalizing for the purpose of owning more drones, I'm in. What I'm looking for is a cheap drone that has optical flow control, to fly indoors. My rational, so I can get my partner into flying a drone. She's a self admitted Klutz and doesn't want to wreck one of my DJI's, and the toy drone I own is harder to fly than either the Spark or Zoom. So far the ones I've found on Amazon aren't available in Canada (Amazon.ca).

I like the logic.
Actually i have set up search patterns, with mm, around our club field so i can find my fpv drones when they go down and arent where i expect them to be.
I guess just to be safe, i should get another one to search for that one if i loose it.?

theres one scenario that has not been mentioned yet its quite simple really

just keep out of the bl--dy tree in the first place

Reactions: Dbez1
Ok, lets say I lose my MA2 way up a 97 foot tree, it hit pretty fast so its buried in there pretty far, but , I bought a Mini just for this reason and I locate my MA2...
HOW do I get it down? Yes I can drop that tree but I think that would spell certain disaster for the drone... so what do I do?
I am way to old to climb up there and get it.
That’s what insurance is for ?.
P.S: not DJI unfortunately.

Well I don’t know about chain saws but I seem to have an obsession about owning drones. I started out with the Phantom III then soon after the Mavic Pro came out. When I saw the MP and saw how it folded up I just had to have it. A few months later the Mavic Air came to market. Smaller than the MP made me want it too. So now I have 3 DJI drones. So here comes the Mavic Pro Zoom with the Smart Controller. I loved the thought of the zoom camera with the ability to use a controller without having to use my phone. My lovely wife said order it, you deserve it. So I did. Now I have 4 drones and guess what happens next? The Mavic Air2 comes out with the ability to use my new Smart Controller. Yep I ordered it. That makes 5 drones now. Ok enough is enough. So this little cheap Mavic Mini comes out... hmmmm 249 grams. Heck why not. Here comes number 6. So Christmas is here now and what’s here??? The Mini 2 with 4K camera. Will be ordering number 7 next week. I love my wife ?

• Haha
Reactions: Barbara
Well I don’t know about chain saws but I seem to have an obsession about owning drones. I started out with the Phantom III then soon after the Mavic Pro came out. When I saw the MP and saw how it folded up I just had to have it. A few months later the Mavic Air came to market. Smaller than the MP made me want it too. So now I have 3 DJI drones. So here comes the Mavic Pro Zoom with the Smart Controller. I loved the thought of the zoom camera with the ability to use a controller without having to use my phone. My lovely wife said order it, you deserve it. So I did. Now I have 4 drones and guess what happens next? The Mavic Air2 comes out with the ability to use my new Smart Controller. Yep I ordered it. That makes 5 drones now. Ok enough is enough. So this little cheap Mavic Mini comes out... hmmmm 249 grams. Heck why not. Here comes number 6. So Christmas is here now and what’s here??? The Mini 2 with 4K camera. Will be ordering number 7 next week. I love my wife ?
Isn't it great to have an enabler? :)

Hmmmm, I have thousands!! I cut them all the time!
I get it - it's my go-to saying when anyone mentions cutting. (Clearing for a new house or whatever) They take a long time to grow - cut judiciously, is always the sentiment.
But if you own a forest - well - you do have to maintain it. ?

I've had 5 mishaps with trees thus far - it's a curse. OR - I'm just stupid that way.

I get it - it's my go-to saying when anyone mentions cutting. (Clearing for a new house or whatever) They take a long time to grow - cut judiciously, is always the sentiment.

I've had 5 mishaps with trees thus far - it's a curse. OR - I'm just stupid that way.

Ents are like little boys that don’t want a haircut. Drones sound just like hair clippers and those props are very reminiscent of string trimmers.

• Haha
Reactions: Barbara

Well I don't have a forest, but I have woods with lots of trees, here is a pic of one of my fields to give you an idea.. this field was all woods too when we bought the place, So yes I have a couple trees!

IMG_1461.JPG

Well I have to admit I own both a Mavic 2 pro and a Mavic Mini and I'm considering a mini2....

As for chainsaws.... I made the mistake of loaning mine out to friend a number of years ago and it did not return in the same condition I lent it. I told the story to an old Geezer and he explained one of the rules in life.. never loan out a chain saw... just like with a woman if won't come back int he same condition..... sorry, but that is a true story.

It’s seems that a smart move is NOT to lend tools or toys to anyone. . Loaning your woman just means your looking for a different model .

Reactions: A.O.
I have two STIHL chainsaws to cut down trees that snag my Mavics.
Always remember, never blame the trees for you shortcomings on your ability to not know how to comprehend your reading of the manual or one's lack of ability to be smart enough to actually fly a $1,000 drone. Just saying. Don't blame the trees. This is all on you.

If you cut a lot of trees you probably have had a tree bite your bar and still refuse to fall.
Ways to continue are usually:
1. Cut with another chainsaw
2. Cut with a bowsaw or ax
3. Remove powerhead and get another bar and chain, then continue to fall the tree.

Thus many chainsaw users have several chainsaws.

After reading another thread of "I lost my Mavic" it occurs to me that one of the best tools to find a drone stuck up in tall trees would be another drone.

Just one more justification to buy a second drone and keep the first.
I bought a second Mavic Pro so if anything happens to one while I'm on a trip, I can use the second one and not have the whole trip wasted. It paid off last year, when my primary drone was damaged on the first day of my trip due to a loose prop.

Always remember, never blame the trees for you shortcomings on your ability to not know how to comprehend your reading of the manual or one's lack of ability to be smart enough to actually fly a $1,000 drone. Just saying. Don't blame the trees. This is all on you.
Thanks! After 2 1/2 year of flying I did not know that! :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captain_Rick