DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Show me your bag/case!

New to the site. My DIY Case. A case I am working on w/ built-in amps, storage for everything I need and more! 99.9% done. Let me know what you think. Be kind!
Awesome! Very Nice. I would like to get some help building my own. Thanks!

Ha JoostGT3,

Think twice before buying a pelican case! Don’t get me wrong. They are great, I have one. But the case itself is13 pounds!!! Unless you are going to drop it out of a rooftop, something less heavy duty will do. I did a Harbor Freight case on my last build. Moving on, you are just thinking a big or any size box /case you need to carry around to fly. What are you comparing it to? Of cause the fly more bag from DJI. Well, I don’t carry anything 90% of the time. First, I have built a few of the base FPV amped station of different sizes. The first big build with dual amps was for 2 Mavic Pro, 2 controllers. Dual screens, 7 batteries. It has everything but the sink in that case. Just too much to list. But it’s posted somewhere on here. That at one point never left my car. If I wanted to fly with only one craft, I remove one full half side of storage for 1 Mavic and acc. The other side is empty; I will keep my Flymore bag or my Lopro backpack in that space and use it if I feel the need. Believe me; I have every bag out there as good as some of them were. It was never 100% the way I like it, always missing something close but never hit the mark. Then I build the smaller size unit also amped, for 1 Mavic and it’ Acc. Both cases have both 120 And 12 volt charger build in the lid. 90% of my charge is 12 volt. What I do everyday charging, is done the same way but in my case. The smaller case unit now has taken the place of the big case in my car. When I go overseas to Norway, only the big case will do because it also has built-in battery warmers. I fly every single day. The only time I am grounded is when it Rains/Wind. Daytime, I fly out of my car 90% of the time. I feel in love flying that way. Heat, Cold, Bugs, People! It bothers me not at all now. I take off from the roof of my car on my DIY lighted landing Pad and no one even knows I am flying. I try to get it up fast! And that is my RTH mark also. I got tired flying with so much. Don’t get me wrong, I liked it at first but I have moved on. IPad mini4 w/ MavMount and Thor mount was great. I guess I did not like things hanging off my neck. But now I am into flying out of my car with a 10 in screen on my dash and just my controller in hand. No mounts of any kind but just two 4ft cable from the controller to the amped box and out to my antenna which attaches with a suction cup mount on the rear side window. As far as cables, I make my own up so I have them in all sizes. Flying from in my car I use 4 ft. If I use a tripod is my 6 ft. I have seen 10 footers. Not for me!

You fantasizing about an ultra-portable pelican case style station. Go for it! Just do it. Make it your own. If not you, who? If not now, When? Just have all the parts before you start your build. Or you will end up with a cooling fan where it should not be. Like me! Live and learn. Hope you change your mind just a little about Portability. Your house is where you keep your Mavis. My car is that house that is all! How many times have you said to yourself? Dam wish I have my Mavic with me now. NOT ME!:rolleyes:

Happy and Safe Flying to All
Thanks for your reply mate! I meant th plastic suitcase style case, not necessarily pelican. I’m still on the fence whether I want to go this way, but it wouldn’t hurt to get a case. I need the smallest one that will house an iPad mini 4 in the lid, and a Mavic with 2 extra batteries, prefersbly also the charger, maybe under the mav.... hmmm, starting to get enthused! :)

View attachment 34256 New Update. Just in time for Spring! Both of my large and small Mavic cases for storage with boosted amps in both cases are fully working and finished!
This is the large one. View attachment 34240 View attachment 34241 View attachment 34242 View attachment 34243 View attachment 34252 View attachment 34253
And this is the smaller one below. Everything that came with the fly more package is built right into the case. Both the 110 volts as well as the car 12 volts charger. both were just sitting around collecting dust.Now they both have a home.:D
View attachment 34247 View attachment 34248 View attachment 34249 View attachment 34249 View attachment 34250
What do you guys and gals think?
Happy & Safe Flying.
That us exactly what I want to do. Best overall complete ground station! I need your recommendation and how to build...I just bought the Titan switch complete system, with 14" whis and car adapter kit with extended cables...please contact me ....I am eger to learn and build ASAP...THANKS! AMAZING job!

[email protected]

That us exactly what I want to do. Best overall complete ground station! I need your recommendation and how to build...I just bought the Titan switch complete system, with 14" whis and car adapter kit with extended cables...please contact me ....I am eger to learn and build ASAP...THANKS! AMAZING job!

[email protected]
Hi Scott
Not meaning to blow you off. I’m right in the middle of three projects as we speak that need completion before I can even think about playing. I’m working as fast as I can. so I can fly again with no other thoughts other than flying! and as soon as I’m done in a few days, I will pass on what information I have. I am by no means a professional or anything of the sort. I just build for fun and the challenge of what I like and it works for me. I can tell you 99.9% of my items for the build comes from eBay.I have found other sources in China. But I always go back to eBay.Whatever you need order x2. half of what you need will be late or lost. You could buy from local whatever and pay 10x the price or waite and I tried to find the best items for the cheapest price I can. You can build a fairly decent basic small case for about $ 120.00 Excluding your iPad/tablet. The most expensive item I have spent to date was for the larger Pelican case that stored 2 Mavic, 2 controllers 2 Tablets,7 batteries, ND, Sun Hoods for both screen and so much more and even that was a used case I got off eBay. but in great shape for 68 bucks. A new ones go for around $170.00. And that as much as I like the quality of the case, Was an (overkill) due to the case weight of 13 pounds with NOTHING in it. Look into Harber Freight's lockable case.mid to large size. much cheaper and the lid does not come back at you and slam your fingers.The big case around $29.99 on sales. BUY, Only when they go on sale. When do they go on sale? A minute right after you bought one because you could not wait a few days later and paid $20 more plus tax! Save where you can because you will need it for the good QMA connectors and cables. You need to figure out what you want to do, what you want in it. Are you going to amp up? Or just make one for FPV station. Do your homework take your time and do it right the first time. You won’t be sorry for taking the time. You need most of all, to know every inch of the case. Whatever case you buy. Is the controller going to gimbaled right on the case itself for flying? or cable so you can fly away from the case? how much room in depth do you have to play with bottom half of the case? How much room do you need to install all you want behind the faceplate on the top half? is the tablet going to be dedicated to the case? where you can install behind the faceplate. or on top of the plate with magnet mount? so you can watch Youtube? look on eBay for everything that you need including the WiFi amps, GPS, Cables, connectors, case, bells whistles.LEDs,mood lights, coffee holder and so on. Are you going for Real carbon fiber faceplate that could cost you more than the price Pelican case? Or cheap out with acrylic with contact paper.I am not going to even reply to you if you tell me you have some plywood laying around. you need to do some soldering. Dremel tools Shirley be handy and the list goes on. last thing that will save you lots of time. Get a mid-size (step) drill bit. one drill bit but can drill many size holes. You will thank me later. And in the end my friend, you will have something that you can be proud of. I take that back, Done right a wood one would look GREAT. Dare I say it Retro!
PS: 2 or of 3 of my projects as we speak is building my deck 99% done and around my hot tub. The GREAT NEWS is I have a 12 ft octagon shape hot tub and I am building a fully functional 8 ft landing pad with lights and sequins strobed for night flying right on the tub lid:p. I made one a few weeks back as a prototype for landing the Mavic on my car's roof. just up the size. Get back to you as soon as I am done. ScottD, I hope this will get you started and want to say also, Good for you, for even trying Thumbswayup

Reactions: Scottd5800
Hi Scott
Not meaning to blow you off. I’m right in the middle of three projects as we speak that need completion before I can even think about playing. I’m working as fast as I can. so I can fly again with no other thoughts other than flying! and as soon as I’m done in a few days, I will pass on what information I have. I am by no means a professional or anything of the sort. I just build for fun and the challenge of what I like and it works for me. I can tell you 99.9% of my items for the build comes from eBay.I have found other sources in China. But I always go back to eBay.Whatever you need order x2. half of what you need will be late or lost. You could buy from local whatever and pay 10x the price or waite and I tried to find the best items for the cheapest price I can. You can build a fairly decent basic small case for about $ 120.00 Excluding your iPad/tablet. The most expensive item I have spent to date was for the larger Pelican case that stored 2 Mavic, 2 controllers 2 Tablets,7 batteries, ND, Sun Hoods for both screen and so much more and even that was a used case I got off eBay. but in great shape for 68 bucks. A new ones go for around $170.00. And that as much as I like the quality of the case, Was an (overkill) due to the case weight of 13 pounds with NOTHING in it. Look into Harber Freight's lockable case.mid to large size. much cheaper and the lid does not come back at you and slam your fingers.The big case around $29.99 on sales. BUY, Only when they go on sale. When do they go on sale? A minute right after you bought one because you could not wait a few days later and paid $20 more plus tax! Save where you can because you will need it for the good QMA connectors and cables. You need to figure out what you want to do, what you want in it. Are you going to amp up? Or just make one for FPV station. Do your homework take your time and do it right the first time. You won’t be sorry for taking the time. You need most of all, to know every inch of the case. Whatever case you buy. Is the controller going to gimbaled right on the case itself for flying? or cable so you can fly away from the case? how much room in depth do you have to play with bottom half of the case? How much room do you need to install all you want behind the faceplate on the top half? is the tablet going to be dedicated to the case? where you can install behind the faceplate. or on top of the plate with magnet mount? so you can watch Youtube? look on eBay for everything that you need including the WiFi amps, GPS, Cables, connectors, case, bells whistles.LEDs,mood lights, coffee holder and so on. Are you going for Real carbon fiber faceplate that could cost you more than the price Pelican case? Or cheap out with acrylic with contact paper.I am not going to even reply to you if you tell me you have some plywood laying around. you need to do some soldering. Dremel tools Shirley be handy and the list goes on. last thing that will save you lots of time. Get a mid-size (step) drill bit. one drill bit but can drill many size holes. You will thank me later. And in the end my friend, you will have something that you can be proud of. I take that back, Done right a wood one would look GREAT. Dare I say it Retro!
PS: 2 or of 3 of my projects as we speak is building my deck 99% done and around my hot tub. The GREAT NEWS is I have a 12 ft octagon shape hot tub and I am building a fully functional 8 ft landing pad with lights and sequins strobed for night flying right on the tub lid:p. I made one a few weeks back as a prototype for landing the Mavic on my car's roof. just up the size. Get back to you as soon as I am done. ScottD, I hope this will get you started and want to say also, Good for you, for even trying Thumbswayup
Thanks for the information!

First, your setup is absolutely right on target...all the credit goes to you, way better than Titan, but they do have quality projects. Awesome job!

Here is my plan....main concept is 85% exactly like yours, again, that's how well I think you did! I would have done very similar .....ok here is goes...

1. Case will be slightly bigger, Seahorse 920F Protective Wheeled Case with Foam

2. Foam cut outs , felt...very similar. ...very awesome job on that

3. Energen DroneMax MP18A AC charger
...how did you mount it, this one has detachable cables

4. Some type of cooling fan...your suggestions?

5. Looking for carbon look, but don't want the real... $ for other stuff...how did you do it?

6. Extra battery charger....I like how you have 110v in....I need help understanding wiring...maybe have so the plug in are mounted on front plate ...what do I need?

7. I have complete Titan atlas, 14" long wips , car kit with cables...I will have collapsible pole to mount the Titan long range atlas....suggestions ?

8. 10 inch tab 2 will mount with magnet...need to know how?

9 heavy duty tripod it can mount on

10. I have dji racing googles...would like to store in it....I like your concept 1 case...everything fits in...one stop shop flying....hence the larger case.

11. Clean look, like yours....yours in very professional, my goal also.

12. Panels, switches, master arm on/off etc.....really need help with electrical ....pictures would help...I have good imagination and common sense, but I have not seen " the guts"...suggestions

13. I will start experimental with battery clip and 2 x lipo's holder from maxxuav...for longer flights...I don't care for record distance ....just maybe 3-5 minutes more per flight..so need to chargingredients incorporatedo

14..yes fly in car ....I am 110%, land on roof...great !

Well, as you can see....very very close to yours....just my own touch on things.

I really need help with wiring, piggy backing batteries , types...photo's would be great...I have parts coming in...gonna get case by this weekend. ...you da man....help a fellow pilot out....I appreciate all and any help...parts list and venors/ebay?

Absolutely brilliant and great job!!

Thank you
Scott

Thanks for your reply mate! I meant th plastic suitcase style case, not necessarily pelican. I’m still on the fence whether I want to go this way, but it wouldn’t hurt to get a case. I need the smallest one that will house an iPad mini 4 in the lid, and a Mavic with 2 extra batteries, prefersbly also the charger, maybe under the mav.... hmmm, starting to get enthused! :)
Harbor freight has exactly what you’re looking for. Look for their lockable case .I believe their called Apache case look for the midsize one that will fit everything that you need nice tight compact and sturdy. Wait until they go on sale of when they have 25% off around 29 bucks.

Reactions: JoostGT3
Hi Scott
Part 2.....this morning, it was late....sorry for typos. ...

Again, super job! I thank you for assisting me....

I would like to have , maybe cigarette adapter with built in inverter to get power while flying in car....not sure how...wiring is my weak point, only by lack of knowledge, I do know basic soldering.

Batteries. ....and charging system...so can charge rc controller and tablet while flying?
Not sure how big and how many...my amplifier will be the Titan swith, has I think 3000mah rechargeable battery in it. Again, new to a lot of this...

The bigger case, should give me ample room....has pull out handle and wheels. I will use it in my car / truck passenger seat, maybe clamp on steering wheel, with tablet controller. ....using titan car mount....magnet landing pad on roof...very cool concept

Very thing must fit in, no external hook ups...doesn't make sense not to have everything internal , totally contained...except tripod ....I have camper also...so I would fly in that with car mount mounted on top of 11 foot trailer roof...oh yeah!

Must have plug in for regular power....what type 110v in? How long...you used pc style 110v in? Correct ?

Again spot on with red felt, pull out tabs...totally will use that.

Yes, I will go over board....lol....maybe...HOTAS, throttle and jostick .....I think it's possible

Anyhow. .....I think you get the jest .....parts...QMA quick snap on off....?..
The Titan has these...I need more?...
Wiring is my hold up...Master switch. ..a little confused about the closed circuit on that...so if you can parts parts parts list who why where....again I really really appreciate it. Totally professional and exactly what I want to achieve ....glad I found your post, you da man!

Thanks and ready to build, thanks to your help!

V/r
Scott

This should get you started. I hope the will help and maybe inspire someone else to try like yourself to build your own. Don't look at what the items below as what they were made for. but what you can do with it. Example, a decent selfie stick makes a great antenna mount from your case because it uses 1/4"-20 thread. A camera clamp can clamp to the lid of the case to hold many things. Do you only use one antenna? not for long! Forget about the tripod. Who wants to stand when you can sit in the shade? You will need a few people just to hold it up to try to hook it up. Plus the tripod would need to be HUGE to hold the weight. look at the small foldable table below. But always keep in mind of the balance and weight. Don't cut or drill a thing until you have ALL the parts in front of you so you can dry fit every SINGLE item before screwing it up. AND YOU WILL! If you use cooling fans you can make ductwork around the amps out of soda cans and drill out the HEAVY case WITH HOLES where the amps are housed. have a fun build;). Save Flying to All

Items below are some of the parts you will need. in no order.

ST JST-XH 3S Balance Wire Extention 20cm adapter 11.1v LiPo Battery Li-Po U19C

20pcs/Set 5.5*2.1mm DC Power Female Plug Jack + Male Plug Jack Connector Socket

Connector QMA male plug pin straight crimp for RG316 LMR100 RG174 RF COAXIAL

Connector QMA male plug pin right angle crimp for RG316 LMR100 RG174 RF COAXIAL

K9 Aviation Windsock Rip-stop Wind Measurement Sock Bag + Reflective Belt

LOT 24-1200 SQ FT INTERLOCKING EVA FOAM FLOOR PUZZLE WORK GYM MATS PUZZLE MAT SE

Lot5 DC 12V 20A Blue LED Light Toggle Rocker Switch Control ON/OFF Car Boat ATV

Metric 304 Stainless Steel or Metal Blind Insert Rivet Nut Rivnut M3 M4 M5 M6 US

WizGear Rectangle Flat Stick On Dashboard*Magnetic Car Mount Holder*for Cell Pho

LANDS HT-332 COAX CABLE WIRE ROTARY STRIPPER STRIPPING TOOL 2-BLADE FOR RG-58

400x500x0.2mm 100% Carbon Fiber plate 3K with gloss surface both sides

120"x60" Premium 4D Gloss Black Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrap Bubble Free Air Release

Reactions: Scottd5800
This should get you started. I hope the will help and maybe inspire someone else to try like yourself to build your own. Don't look at what the items below as what they were made for. but what you can do with it. Example, a decent selfie stick makes a great antenna mount from your case because it uses 1/4"-20 thread. A camera clamp can clamp to the lid of the case to hold many things. Do you only use one antenna? not for long! Forget about the tripod. Who wants to stand when you can sit in the shade? You will need a few people just to hold it up to try to hook it up. Plus the tripod would need to be HUGE to hold the weight. look at the small foldable table below. But always keep in mind of the balance and weight. Don't cut or drill a thing until you have ALL the parts in front of you so you can dry fit every SINGLE item before screwing it up. AND YOU WILL! If you use cooling fans you can make ductwork around the amps out of soda cans and drill out the HEAVY case WITH HOLES where the amps are housed. have a fun build;). Save Flying to All

Items below are some of the parts you will need. in no order.

ST JST-XH 3S Balance Wire Extention 20cm adapter 11.1v LiPo Battery Li-Po U19C

20pcs/Set 5.5*2.1mm DC Power Female Plug Jack + Male Plug Jack Connector Socket

Connector QMA male plug pin straight crimp for RG316 LMR100 RG174 RF COAXIAL

Connector QMA male plug pin right angle crimp for RG316 LMR100 RG174 RF COAXIAL

K9 Aviation Windsock Rip-stop Wind Measurement Sock Bag + Reflective Belt

LOT 24-1200 SQ FT INTERLOCKING EVA FOAM FLOOR PUZZLE WORK GYM MATS PUZZLE MAT SE

Lot5 DC 12V 20A Blue LED Light Toggle Rocker Switch Control ON/OFF Car Boat ATV

Metric 304 Stainless Steel or Metal Blind Insert Rivet Nut Rivnut M3 M4 M5 M6 US

WizGear Rectangle Flat Stick On Dashboard*Magnetic Car Mount Holder*for Cell Pho

LANDS HT-332 COAX CABLE WIRE ROTARY STRIPPER STRIPPING TOOL 2-BLADE FOR RG-58

400x500x0.2mm 100% Carbon Fiber plate 3K with gloss surface both sides

120"x60" Premium 4D Gloss Black Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrap Bubble Free Air Release

Thank you, much appreciated and helpful....keep it coming. Do you think my case should fit what I want to do...930f seahorse....

Awesome, your da man! Thanks!!

Harbor freight has exactly what you’re looking for. Look for their lockable case .I believe their called Apache case look for the midsize one that will fit everything that you need nice tight compact and sturdy. Wait until they go on sale of when they have 25% off around 29 bucks.
Thanks for the help mate! Harbor freight is not easily obtainable in the Netherlands, but I found some nice equivalents on this side of the big puddle ;-)

Thank you, much appreciated and helpful....keep it coming. Do you think my case should fit what I want to do...930f seahorse....

Awesome, your da man! Thanks!!
Scottd, You need at least 1-1/2 in depth in the lid to start. If not, you won't be able to get the faceplate on flat. Any case will do it is how to stack them for storage. Think 3D.2 and 3 story building. it has many levels but it all fits in a box or building. don't think shoe box, That is how you need to build the storage part. I need to finish my own stuff. the deck is all done now. I finish it in the rain. next project starting tomorrow 6-foot hot tub night land pad for my Mavic. post a drawing of what you are thinking to do. Is easy to take someone else's idea. you need to make it your own. THINK LIGHT! That's a 14+ pound case Empty! you going to end up with a 35 to a 40-pound unit when done. It adds up fast. Thank God for those wheels. Now all you need is a ramp.:cool:

Thanks for the help mate! Harbor freight is not easily obtainable in the Netherlands, but I found some nice equivalents on this side of the big puddle ;-)
Glad you found what you needed. Check out the list of items posted for Scottd. It took me 6 months to find the right parts and right sellers who did not play games. Sorry, to say most of this stuff you can't get here at any price. if you can, it will be 4 x the price. Example. I needed a main led kill switch with a red light. I order one from China of eBay. 4 weeks to get here price $2.98. And not having it was holding everything else up. So I went to the auto part store. and bought what I thought was the same switch.it looked just like it. but this switch cost $12.95.better switch? $10 more! but it does not end there. this one has no light. So I paid $12.98 for a look-alike main cut off switch. Good luck with your build

Yes, I am not to concerned on weight, but I know what you mean. I have my own plans, a lot of your style is how I was thinking. The help I need is the wiring....I want to tie it all together.....

1. main power in, to run all items/ charge (shore power, you could call it)

2. AC/DC to run all things while in car , cigarette lighter, maybe small inverter run all things/charge

3. No shore power...switches to battery power and runs at least powers controller/ tablet / etc

4. Built lipo charger to charge my non DJI, lipo battery's ( for extended flight time).

That's is where I need help...wiring electrical components diagram/photo...I just don't want melt down, lol, damage or fire.

If I can get how to tie it together (electrically) safely, I think I can figure the rest.

Thanks for the help and good luck with your deck

V/r

Scott

I bought the backpack, eva foam, contact cement & reflective tape @ walmart. The backpack has to be specially this one because it opens up all the way down. The rest is up to how you want to set it up. It has plenty of room and a pocket for your ipad.20180525_183639.jpg 20180525_183415.jpg

New to the site. My DIY Case. A case I am working on w/ built-in amps, storage for everything I need and more! 99.9% done. Let me know what you think. Be kind!

20 out of 10 stars, from me!

I was just going to say... Why doesn't anyone have a spare drone!

Everyone has a set of extra propellers and batteries, but honestly, a spare drone would be much better. :p

Just running through the thread to get some designs for mine. I may get a spare drone too, just so I can find the one I expect to loose in the future.

Last edited:
Titan switch complete system, with 14" whips

Newbie with amps bought my first drone (MPP) Nov, '17.

I just bought a "Titan Switch" system. I will probably never fly from a base station, my proximity to an airport but mainly there is too much desert to explore. How much difference could I expect from the "stock" Titan Switch antenna vs the 14" antenna option?

For just flying around home, if I take off the amp and just have the Titan Switch whips, (stock or 14) I assume I would be able to fly with no problem?

Which is the best battery mod thread, there are so many. Is this the best one, just dig the info out?

I bought a second controller so I could modify it and still retain a completely stock RC & AC.

Newbie with amps bought my first drone (MPP) Nov, '17.

I just bought a "Titan Switch" system. I will probably never fly from a base station, my proximity to an airport but mainly there is too much desert to explore. How much difference could I expect from the "stock" Titan Switch antenna vs the 14" antenna option?

For just flying around home, if I take off the amp and just have the Titan Switch whips, (stock or 14) I assume I would be able to fly with no problem?

Which is the best battery mod thread, there are so many. Is this the best one, just dig the info out?

I bought a second controller so I could modify it and still retain a completely stock RC & AC.
Good day!

I fly with just my 14 inch whips no problem, I don't go very far, but without amps they are much better than stock ones, Titan shorter whip are fine also. I just fly with 14 whips non amp, I have rolling hills with trees, no problems ....but I will attach amp, if I going to fly with dense trees or longer distance. ..

Just search battery mods....YouTube has some crazy stuff....I bought the Maxx battery adapter and 3d printed dual lipo harness .....I haven't used it yet....but I gonna try dual 1000mah zippy and dual 1500mah zippy...I just want more flight time. ...not so much distance. ..but if I want I have the flexibility. ....that's just me. ..hope that helps

Reactions: Turn11
Pelican Case

Attachments

• E90D04F2-CCB3-4920-B30B-97C012CE935B.jpeg
    E90D04F2-CCB3-4920-B30B-97C012CE935B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 55
  • 7C17A750-FACD-4C6A-9A4C-38558FE7CFE3.jpeg
    7C17A750-FACD-4C6A-9A4C-38558FE7CFE3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 61
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads