DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Signal interference - 30m from the RC

Banung

Reactions
In some locations the interference is so strong, that I can´t even go upper than 30m - 40m above me.
No special place, just a city.

And then I see on Youtube Flying DJI MM in the city hunderds of meters from the RC.

Is that normal?

I`m considering reclamation especially together with the strange behavior of my drone in cold temperatures ...

couple of things to try, what band are you flying on 2.4 or 5.8 try 5.8 as there will be a lot of background interference in the 2.4 band ,also no drone likes very cold temps

@Banung well not to state the obvious ,have you tried the same location with the 2.4 band set ,is it worse or better

In the menu where you can choose which transmission channel the controller/drone will use what does the interference level look like? are the bands you're using all red? Have you tried flying in a different area in the city, or even somewhere out of the city? I notice a big difference in range when flying in the city compared to the country, eg strong reliable signal well past VLOS limits in the countryside compared to signal cutting out at 100-200m or less in the city.

Generally flying directly overhead the signal is a lot poorer. The antennas on the drone are vertically oriented in the front 2 legs are are a bit "deaf" directly downwards. If you have the transmitter antennas pointing upwards too then it makes the problem even worse. If you've not already done this, try folding the controller antennas down flat so they are horizontal. The signal predominantly comes out the sides of the antennas and not out the end, so ideally the flat faces of the antennas should be pointed towards the drone.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
couple of things to try, what band are you flying on 2.4 or 5.8 try 5.8 as there will be a lot of background interference in the 2.4 band ,also no drone likes very cold temps
question please - so when flying close to city and getting RC signal interference warnings with the Mavic 3 is it best to then change the frequency setting from Auto to 5.8 ? In Auto I had presumed the RC Pro would select which of the two frequencies is best or is this not necessarily the case?

So I also need to point the tips of the two antenna at the drone rather than the upright sections ?

Last edited:
question please - so when flying close to city and getting RC signal interference warnings with the Mavic 3 is it best to then change the frequency setting from Auto to 5.8 ? In Auto I had presumed the RC Pro would select which of the two frequencies is best or is this not necessarily the case?

So I also need to point the tips of the two antenna at the drone rather than the upright sections ?
It is SUPPOSED to flip from 2.4 to 5.8, but sometimes it doesn't. You are better off looking at the transmission tab in the menu, noting what the frequency is and how the dynamic graph is responding, then if it's like a relief map of the Himalayas, manually select 5.8..... THEN put the drone in the air.

The antennas should be at 90 degrees to the controller body. You then point the flat part of the antennas at the drone

Reactions: Trevor Pleco
@Trevor Pleco in auto the frequency selected is based on distance from RC to drone ,and the amount of Background signal interference to that frequency
so although 5.8 might have less interference if flying close by ,it does not have the range capabilities ,of 2.4 so in 5.8 you would see signal loss between the drone and RC much sooner
as you flew out ,really its much better to leave the auto setting on ,so you get the best of both worlds

@Trevor Pleco in auto the frequency selected is based on distance from RC to drone ,and the amount of Background signal interference to that frequency
so although 5.8 might have less interference if flying close by ,it does not have the range capabilities ,of 2.4 so in 5.8 you would see signal loss between the drone and RC much sooner
as you flew out ,really its much better to leave the auto setting on ,so you get the best of both worlds
thanks for your reply here and advice.. yes that's what I imagined, I guess this then begs the question why give the pilot the option of selecting the individual frequencies if Auto might be the safer bet.. ?

Reactions: old man mavic
It is SUPPOSED to flip from 2.4 to 5.8, but sometimes it doesn't. You are better off looking at the transmission tab in the menu, noting what the frequency is and how the dynamic graph is responding, then if it's like a relief map of the Himalayas, manually select 5.8..... THEN put the drone in the air.

The antennas should be at 90 degrees to the controller body. You then point the flat part of the antennas at the drone
thanks, will experiment with this next time. I had the same RC signal interference warnings when flying in the same spot several years ago with the Phantom 4 Pro, so with the great improvements with the Mavic transmission range over the PP4, I was disappointed to get the same issues with flying close to the city centre..

thanks for your reply here and advice.. yes that's what I imagined, I guess this then begs the question why give the pilot the option of selecting the individual frequencies if Auto might be the safer bet.. ?
well because, i suspect,that choosing one or other of the frequences,could be of benefit in certain scenarios ,the new Air 3 comes with an extra 5.1 frequency, so it has 3 options to choose from, its down to user preference , and frequency availabilty, depending on what rules ,and frequency allocations are where you intend to fly

well because, i suspect,that choosing one or other of the frequences,could be of benefit in certain scenarios ,the new Air 3 comes with an extra 5.1 frequency, so it has 3 options to choose from, its down to user preference , and frequency availabilty, depending on what rules ,and frequency allocations are where you intend to fly
I will test things out and select 5.8 when in the city and see if I get less interference warnings

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1