DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Signal lost on near distances

rnf

Reactions
Hello! I'm a new one here and want to ask for advice.

Several days ago I bought MA. First impressions: It is fantastic small peace of ****. The image quality is great, it is small, handy and with extra 6 batteries I'm not worrie about flying time. But whats really disapoint me it's flying range.
First try was in forest near river. River is aprox 100 meters from home point.
Signal lost and drone returning home on 110 meters altitude 30m.
Then I tried it on open area on river. Signal lost on 250 meters. Two days I was test it on river but it can't make more than 250 meter distance. To make bigger distance we follow to drone on boat. That's unserious.
It was on firmware .300, then I've update to .400 but without any changes.
I don't need fly to 3 or 4 km, but 1 km should be enough.
So, I'm a little confused what to do, give it back to seller or wait while DJI fix something... I really like how it's work (on near distances) but otherwise is useless expensive toy.

Wait for DJI to fix what? I can easily get over 1km distance (and further if I’m honest). I think you have an issue with your MA. If you find the thread on the subject of record distances flown you’ll see that the MA is more than capable of doing the distance

Reactions: Irish-apple
Hello! I'm a new one here and want to ask for advice.

Several days ago I bought MA. First impressions: It is fantastic small peace of ****. The image quality is great, it is small, handy and with extra 6 batteries I'm not worrie about flying time. But whats really disapoint me it's flying range.
First try was in forest near river. River is aprox 100 meters from home point.
Signal lost and drone returning home on 110 meters altitude 30m.
Then I tried it on open area on river. Signal lost on 250 meters. Two days I was test it on river but it can't make more than 250 meter distance. To make bigger distance we follow to drone on boat. That's unserious.
It was on firmware .300, then I've update to .400 but without any changes.
I don't need fly to 3 or 4 km, but 1 km should be enough.
So, I'm a little confused what to do, give it back to seller or wait while DJI fix something... I really like how it's work (on near distances) but otherwise is useless expensive toy.

Why would you wait if you can give it back?

I was wondering how you keep VLOS at 1km. Do you always fly from really flat terrain with no obstacles? Do you use a spotter with binoculars? Just wondering.

I was wondering how you keep VLOS at 1km. Do you always fly from really flat terrain with no obstacles? Do you use a spotter with binoculars? Just wondering.
I understand your question, but let’s not turn this thread into ANOTHER VLOS only conversation. I offered my experience for the OP to understand that he has a personal problem with his MA, not the design of the MA

I understand your question, but let’s not turn this thread into ANOTHER VLOS only conversation. I offered my experience for the OP to understand that he has a personal problem with his MA, not the design of the MA
Really was replying to rmf, appreciate your response InvisibleName.

Reactions: InvisibleName
Where are you located? In CE mode on 5.8GHz I also sometimes get no more than 250m. If I manually change to 2.6GHz, it is much better (have not tried yet how far I can get but the signal is significantly stronger). For some reason, when I am in 'Auto WiFi' mode, it seems to select a 5.8Ghz channel, wherever I am (Netherlands, Slovakia and now South Africa).

Why it 'chooses' CE in South Africa beats me, it's not in Europe.... Does anyone else here fly in South Africa? Do I need to borrow and Android device and do the 'CE to FCC trick'.

I say do the hack first and retest

Many people, including myself, have achieved amazing distances

What is the “hack”?

I just got a MP Air today. I also own a MP for over a year now. My MP is amazing. This Air is very disappointing. Just like the OP I can not fly far without disconnects, choppy video, etc. I have the latest firmware, and running this on my iPhone X. Thinking of returning this, but I love the small size. I travel a lot in the military and get to go a lot of places. How small the Air is makes it easy to take with me. But the choppy video and disconnects almost makes it unusable.

Any one have ideas?

you folding the front legs down? Be sure you are, as the antenna are in them and they need to point vertically or you will have very poor range. I did it once when I was in a hurry and it lost connection 200 yards out. When I landed I noticed in my haste to get in the air I forgot to extend the front landing legs down. Once I did that it had great range. Just a thought.

What is the “hack”?

I just got a MP Air today. I also own a MP for over a year now. My MP is amazing. This Air is very disappointing. Just like the OP I can not fly far without disconnects, choppy video, etc. I have the latest firmware, and running this on my iPhone X. Thinking of returning this, but I love the small size. I travel a lot in the military and get to go a lot of places. How small the Air is makes it easy to take with me. But the choppy video and disconnects almost makes it unusable.

Any one have ideas?
You'll find the forum search function very useful!

But, here you go:
FCC mode in CE area

Yes, I'm in CE. Wi-fi channel settings always was on "auto" and works in 5.8GHz. I found a Android phone and did all as in video, but strange, when I connected back on iphone it's shows me 2.4GHz not 5.8
I switch manually on 5.8 and now in the same place signal lost on 400 meters. it's a bit longer than previous bet anyway no good.

Yes, I'm in CE. Wi-fi channel settings always was on "auto" and works in 5.8GHz. I found a Android phone and did all as in video, but strange, when I connected back on iphone it's shows me 2.4GHz not 5.8
I switch manually on 5.8 and now in the same place signal lost on 400 meters. it's a bit longer than previous bet anyway no good.
Why would you want to switch from 2.4 to 5.8? 2.4 will give you greater range. Did you confirm that you’re in FCC? You did cancel the region change prompt?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS