DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Signal range/penetretion

blackbone9

Reactions
Hello everyone.

I would like to know when flying the mini 2 you have to always point with the antenna from the RC toward the drone? I read in the manual this info, but the videos from the YT are quite confusing. I saw many pilots facing away from the drone, which is hundreds of meters away. I should have always have a clear line of sight between RC and drone? Can I for example take of from behind some trees, and fly the drone a couple of hundreds of meteres away, dive into a valley, take the shot and come back? I am a beginner and I would like to know more infos about this topic.

Without using a parabolic or yagi, the signal is omnidirectional though your own body can attenuate the signal some.

So for best results try and face the AC, but you won't be completely cut off if it's behind you.

Reactions: vindibona1
Hello everyone.

I would like to know when flying the mini 2 you have to always point with the antenna from the RC toward the drone? I read in the manual this info, but the videos from the YT are quite confusing. I saw many pilots facing away from the drone, which is hundreds of meters away. I should have always have a clear line of sight between RC and drone? Can I for example take of from behind some trees, and fly the drone a couple of hundreds of meteres away, dive into a valley, take the shot and come back? I am a beginner and I would like to know more infos about this topic.

So as a beginner your asking about taking Calculated risks which you can only do once you understand the limits of your drone .

Flying from behind trees is going to lessen the number of satellites keeping you steady in air. Dipping down into a valley is also going to increase the chance of dropping Satellites and if you loose signal and the Panic that goes with that.

Dipping down into valleys , ravines and flying behind trees is not the same as not facing the drone as that signal can still be very very very strong , as we fly from inside the car and everything is fine but if we dipped down between some rocks , there is a good chance will loose signal.

Than the Drone can Return to home or we can attempt to fly in Atti mode : Which means flying the drone with no help from the GPS to keep it in place or stable , Very tricky to do even for seasoned pilots .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain

Hi blackbone9. I am new to this addictive hobby and like you I want to learn as much as I can. Watching yt can be extremely beneficial for flying drones and I too notice flyers doing things, let's say, a bit ill-advised. But, if I find myself wishing to take extra risks, then I also think of yt videos where people have lost their AC mostly by pilot inexperience. Until the day arrives where I can send my drone into the sky and not care whether it comes back or not and not worry about the expense, I will ca' canny as they say here in Scotland.
Stay safe!

abolic or yagi, the signal is omnidirectional though your ow
Is the radiated field omnidirectional?
From page 32 of the manual DJI Mini 2 - Downloads - DJI
I get the impression that it has distinct lobes and that in essence the rails of the phone holder should be pointing at the drone.

To blackbone9, the less objects or material between the antennae and the drone the better.
If I am correct in that the radiated field has lobes then the orientation shown in the manual is probably the best. It might not be critical when the drone is close but as the drone gets further away its importance increases.

A general question for all, the manual seems to suggest to me that the connection will be weak if the phone holder is retracted.
If I am correct why is that?

Surely if the phone holder is retracted then that puts another layer of material between the antennae and aircraft, therefore attenuating the signal!

Hmmmm, why?
Are you thinking the antennae are in the actual 'rails'?
I had assumed that the antennae are in the black outer section of the phone holder.
I could understand retraction weaken the signal if it telescoped the antennae, as in 'music etc.'radios, but from the controller dismantling videos I have seen I did not think the antennae telescoped.
I am not arguing with you, it is just that I am now wondering where the antennae are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Yogi053
Than the Drone can Return to home or we can attempt to fly in Atti mode : Which means flying the drone with no help from the GPS to keep it in place or stable , Very tricky to do even for seasoned pilots .
Folks that have a controller that can access DJI simulator should try "flying" with it. It seems to be all atti mode, and so it can help train a pilot what to do if GPS is ever lost. I find flying the simulator challenging and helpful but not a lot of fun because you tend to crash a lot in there... At least I do.

Hmmmm, why?
Are you thinking the antennae are in the actual 'rails'?
I had assumed that the antennae are in the black outer section of the phone holder.
I could understand retraction weaken the signal if it telescoped the antennae, as in 'music etc.'radios, but from the controller dismantling videos I have seen I did not think the antennae telescoped.
I am not arguing with you, it is just that I am now wondering where the antennae are.
No argument from me either. I just thought that when the phone holder was recessed it put an extra layer, all be it a thin one,of plastic between antennae and AC. Does it depend on the orientation of the antennae in the holder. I supposeonly Dji can give a definitive answer. I bow down to your superior knowledge of this matter because I haven't watched any dismantling videos. I should do so now I reckon. Stay safe!

I don't have superior knowledge lol, in fact I am too prone to leaping to conclusions. When I watched the dismantling videos it was with "how do they route cabling to the antennae to avoid fatigue failure" in mind so when I saw what I thought were phantom-controller-like leads entering those rails and presumed those leads were just leads.

Reactions: Yogi053
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird