DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Single ND filter setup - question!

quirom

Reactions
Hi, I am new to the drone world. Loving my MPP so far.

As my first video are a bit choppy on sunny days, I am starting to see the need of filter. My plan is to order a Single filter (for example ND16), to fix it with the camera for sunny days. When the exposure is not ideal, I will just modify the ISO and/or change shutter speed within a reasonable range to compensate wrong exposure. Does it sound good?

Last edited:
I would remove the filter instead of raising your ISO. The latter will introduce more noise in your video, especially on smaller sensor cameras.
sure, removing the filter is also an option. I just hate the hassle putting on / off the filter. By the way, anyone can suggest the brand? I am looking at Neewer, just because they are cheap.

I hear polar pro are best, that is what I went with but without researching so I’d look at reviews on Amazon from droners.

Yeah and definitely get in the habit of putting on and taking off the filter, it is a tiny pain in the *** but it will definitely affect the quality of your imagery if you just boost your ISO to compensate in lower light.
Also, consider saving up a tiny bit more and get all four filters, you will probably be happy you did for extremely sunny and contrast days, that 64 filter is important.

Reactions: Thomas B and quirom
Definitely keep you ISO as close to 100 as possible. Use the exposure triangle for most uses. Recommend 4, 8, 16, and 32. I am of course in the desert sun of Arizona.
Here’s a link to the PolarPro filters available singly or in packs. They are pricey by comparison, but my experience is you get what you pay for.
Other filter brands may work fine for you. Search in the forum for threads on the topic.

Reactions: quirom
Also learn to use the Histogram to get a proper exposure. What you see on your display screen may be deceptive.

Reactions: Thomas B and quirom
I hear polar pro are best, that is what I went with but without researching so I’d look at reviews on Amazon from droners.

Yeah and definitely get in the habit of putting on and taking off the filter, it is a tiny pain in the *** but it will definitely affect the quality of your imagery if you just boost your ISO to compensate in lower light.
Also, consider saving up a tiny bit more and get all four filters, you will probably be happy you did for extremely sunny and contrast days, that 64 filter is important.
I just cant justify the cost of polar pro. Went with a cheap ND32 Neewer. If I like it I will buy the set 4-16 later

Also learn to use the Histogram to get a proper exposure. What you see on your display screen may be deceptive.
Good advice. I read about it and know what to do with it. However it turns out I never look at it when flying lol

Definitely keep you ISO as close to 100 as possible. Use the exposure triangle for most uses. Recommend 4, 8, 16, and 32. I am of course in the desert sun of Arizona.
Here’s a link to the PolarPro filters available singly or in packs. They are pricey by comparison, but my experience is you get what you pay for.
Other filter brands may work fine for you. Search in the forum for threads on the topic.
As far as I know, MPP has fix aperture so I can only change ISO and shutter speed. Shutter speed should be 1/50 (for 4k 25fps) and ISO should be 100 though. What is the minimum acceptable shutter speed, lets say 1/100, is it too bad if I want to reduce a bit of light? Same question for ISO.
Another noob question, what is the exposure value that I can control, is that similar to ISO?

As far as I know, MPP has fix aperture so I can only change ISO and shutter speed. Shutter speed should be 1/50 (for 4k 25fps) and ISO should be 100 though. What is the minimum acceptable shutter speed, lets say 1/100, is it too bad if I want to reduce a bit of light? Same question for ISO.
Another noob question, what is the exposure value that I can control, is that similar to ISO?
Maybe I'm not completely understanding your question here, but I think you're trying to ask if the exposure with the ND 16 is still to bright at 1/50, could you bump up the shutter to 1/100? Once you move way past the 180 degree shutter speed rule, then you no longer have a need for the ND filter. Your only reason for the filter is to get the exposure correct at twice the frame rate, if you are 4 times the frame rate or more, just leave the filter off all together and further correct with shutter speed. The MPP has plenty of shutter speed to adjust the exposure on sunny days.

I have a set of the PolarPro graduated filters and like them - but find it awkward to hold the camera and add/remove the the filters without risking damaging the gimbal. As a result, I don't switch the filters as much as I would like to.

I also found the plastic gadget they supply (with the filters) was slipping out of my thumb/finger so I glued a small piece of friction cloth to each side of the removal tool, which helped.

Maybe I'm not completely understanding your question here, but I think you're trying to ask if the exposure with the ND 16 is still to bright at 1/50, could you bump up the shutter to 1/100? Once you move way past the 180 degree shutter speed rule, then you no longer have a need for the ND filter. Your only reason for the filter is to get the exposure correct at twice the frame rate, if you are 4 times the frame rate or more, just leave the filter off all together and further correct with shutter speed. The MPP has plenty of shutter speed to adjust the exposure on sunny days.
That was my question. So you mean 4k 24 fps 1/100 ND16 will deliver the same quality compared to 4k 24 fps 1/1600 no filter?

That was my question. So you mean 4k 24 fps 1/100 ND16 will deliver the same quality compared to 4k 24 fps 1/1600 no filter?
Yes, that is correct. If the shutter speed is not at twice the frame rate, there is no need for the ND filter.

I have a set of the PolarPro graduated filters and like them - but find it awkward to hold the camera and add/remove the the filters without risking damaging the gimbal. As a result, I don't switch the filters as much as I would like to.

I also found the plastic gadget they supply (with the filters) was slipping out of my thumb/finger so I glued a small piece of friction cloth to each side of the removal tool, which helped.
It's good to know that. I never used a filter before, but I can imagine the hassle of switching the filters.
I ended up ordering a cheap Neewer ND32. I will play with it to see if I really need a set.

It's good to know that. I never used a filter before, but I can imagine the hassle of switching the filters.
I ended up ordering a cheap Neewer ND32. I will play with it to see if I really need a set.
There is a lot of misinformation and misconception about filters. ND filters for video are only needed to achieve the effect of getting the shutter speed to twice the frame rate, that is it. If you can't achieve that with an ND 32, then remove the filter all together and adjust exposure with shutter or use a different filter. The more important question is, do you always want the shutter speed to be twice the frame rate or is that effect not important to you and your videos?

Reactions: JAW
Yes, that is correct. If the shutter speed is not at twice the frame rate, there is no need for the ND filter.
****, I thought that too fast shutter speed (1/1600 for example) would make the video choppy, so reducing as much shutter speed as possible would make it better, more cinematic. It's good to know that was wrong...

If you regularly film in fairly uniform daylight conditions from one day to the other (such as early/late morning, mid day, or late afternoon) you certainly can get a single ND filter, fit it and leave it on pretty much all the time. What ND filter you should get depends on how bright it is at the time of your filming. Where I live, any time between 10am to 4pm requires a ND32 filter and I fly during those hours 99% of the time. So the ND32 filter stays fitted on pretty much all the time. I only remove it in the rare occasions when I want the CPL filter or even the rarer occasions when I need no filters at all such as evening shots.

If you regularly film in fairly uniform daylight conditions from one day to the other (such as early/late morning, mid day, or late afternoon) you certainly can get a single ND filter, fit it and leave it on pretty much all the time. What ND filter you should get depends on how bright it is at the time of your filming. Where I live, any time between 10am to 4pm requires a ND32 filter and I fly during those hours 99% of the time. So the ND32 filter stays fitted on pretty much all the time. I only remove it in the rare occasions when I want the CPL filter or even the rarer occasions when I need no filters at all such as evening shots.
It is a good advice. I need to practice flying with filter to see the difference.
Here are my first videos, without filter of course. Could they be much better with a proper filter setup?
- I took this one in Paris and it's suburban
- on a soccer field
- on a park

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM