DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Six Year Old Boy Found By A Drone In My Area!

Rhetorical or real question?

I think the FAA has some discretion on stuff like that if it wasn’t legal but done with approval of local law enforcement and in a safe manner. We were encouraged to do the same as a ranger when I met someone who meant well by doing something illegal in a National Park, education goes a lot further than strict enforcement in a lot of cases.

So is legal or illegal?

So is legal or illegal?

its either, the pilot obviously has a 107 (he does fly commercially), and he maybe even have a 107.29 daytime waiver, which would make it legal. If he was flying without a 107, or at night without a daytime waiver, it would have been illegal. But like I said, I believe the FAA would likely just send him a warning letter for it in this case.

Last edited:
Sounds like illegal to me , to find that boy he most fly out vlos

Indeed but FAA or other body would have to be pretty low to prosecute in such a case.
Most people just by flying and taking cinematic video or photos, looking at their monitors have not got VLOS according to FAA, CAA, CASA and other such regulators requirements to keep their aircraft in VLOS at all times.
The spirit of VLOS rule is you have situational awareness of what’s in the near vicinity, be able to recognise dangers, and land / take evasive action if needed.

Operating a drone is similar to driving a motor vehicle.
Some can drive vey capably, and multi task even to some extent.
Others should never have held a drivers licence for even basic skills.

Reactions: SubseaFlyer
Sounds like illegal to me , to find that boy he most fly out vlos

And how are we supposed to know that? Maybe he has a 107.29 waiver, good strobes, lots of visual observers and was in view of it, and maybe he was officially part of a SAR volunteer team. If not, well it would be up to the FAA to determine where to go with it...

And how are we supposed to know that? Maybe he has a 107.29 waiver, good strobes, lots of visual observers and was in view of it, and maybe he was officially part of a SAR volunteer team. If not, well it would be up to the FAA to determine where to go with it...

All I know is we can’t fly a drone in our area in case of a emergency response,, and on my opinion looks like he did

All I know is we can’t fly a drone in our area in case of a emergency response,, and on my opinion looks like he did
This was in a remote area, there were no other drones or manned aircraft in operation. The drone pilot approached the sherriff in charge and received permission to aid in the search.

Reactions: ScoutCommander
What drone was used for the thermal imaging? In my experience it would have to be at least a 336x256 camera.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_