DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Skins that last

Skins only work if you are stationed above your MP looking down, I don't see how you will see them from the ground. They absolutely do not make an sense to me. It must be an individuality thing. I like my MP just the way it is, but then I am a grey, boring, kind of guy. So I have been told.

Reactions: Vilco
I didn't do the skins to be able to see the drone. I like to personalize my toys so I chose to go with the skin. Plus it provides protection from small nicks and scratches. Everyone has their preferences.

Didn't do mine for visibility.... if you need to improve visibility then buy a few Cree Strobes they are exceptional good in both day and dusk/dawn flying.

Skins only work if you are stationed above your MP looking down, I don't see how you will see them from the ground. They absolutely do not make an sense to me. It must be an individuality thing. I like my MP just the way it is, but then I am a grey, boring, kind of guy. So I have been told.

My taxy wrap gets noticed by everyone seeing the Mavic flying low, but anyway I got it to get rid of birds! We'll see next Spring, in mating season, how it will do

If you know someone with a Cricut or Silhouette cutter you can make your own really cheap. Most all of those wraps use Oracal 651 Vinyl which is an outdoor vinyl. It has a service life of about 5 years depending on the color. If you DIY you can get that vinyl for about $1.99 a sqft from a big box craft store, or if you go to a specialty store you can get it for $0.99 a sqft. It will take you 1 sqft to cut out all the pieces to do your Mavic, the Controller and One Battery. If you get 2 sq ft you can do everything and about 9 batteries. If you do a search in this forum you can find the cut file. If you don't know anyone that has a vinyl cutter, you can find people online that will do that for you, all you need to do is provide them a cut file and tell them what color you want. If you don't want a solid color, Oracal makes other types of outdoor vinyl in different colors. Oracal 651 is just an Intermediate vinyl, they have other high performance vinyl that comes in multi colors and textures. If you are looking that carbon fiber look or the honeycomb, you get Oracal 975. They make other premiums as well that will last longer than the 651, but they are a little more expensive and I don't know that I would keep the same wrap for more than 5 years anyway. I don't even know if my Mavic is going to last 5 years so that remains to be seen anyway.

If you have bubbles in your wrap that comes from how you apply it, not the material. If you don't apply it evenly you will get air bubbles under it. As you fly it and it heats up either from the aircraft itself, or from the sun or air temperature, those bubbles will expand. The easy way to get rid of them is take a razor knife or a needle and poke some little holes in the bubble then take a scraper and smooth it back down to get the air out. If you still have a small bubble there, repeat the process until it is gone. Sometimes you won't see a bubble right away because it is very small, but after you have flown it for a while it may appear. It usually isn't poor vinyl, but just that the bubble was really small to begin with. You can use the above process and it will still stick back down.

As far as not being seen from the ground, that isn't really the case. I did mine in safety yellow and I can see it much better than the grey. The wrap covers the top, both sides, part of the underside and all sides of the arms. You will be surprised how much more it shows up. I now some people don't do it for that reason, but the whole purpose in me putting a wrap on was so I could pick it up visually, quicker, when I glanced down at my controller and then looked back up. It has made things 10 times better than what it was. I related this story in another post as well. The wrap also makes mine stand out in a crowd. I have only seen one other Mavic flying while I was out flying. I was out flying several months back and I had just landed and looked up and less than 50 yards from me was another Mavic flying at about eye level. Had I still been in the air and glanced away or at my controller and then looked back up, I could easily have mistaken it for my bird and crashed when it wasn't responding to my control. The wrap would be additional safety in that situation, so it could have a real purpose not just an aesthetic look.

Reactions: Dw911
If you know someone with a Cricut or Silhouette cutter you can make your own really cheap. Most all of those wraps use Oracal 651 Vinyl which is an outdoor vinyl. It has a service life of about 5 years depending on the color. If you DIY you can get that vinyl for about $1.99 a sqft from a big box craft store, or if you go to a specialty store you can get it for $0.99 a sqft. It will take you 1 sqft to cut out all the pieces to do your Mavic, the Controller and One Battery. If you get 2 sq ft you can do everything and about 9 batteries. If you do a search in this forum you can find the cut file. If you don't know anyone that has a vinyl cutter, you can find people online that will do that for you, all you need to do is provide them a cut file and tell them what color you want. If you don't want a solid color, Oracal makes other types of outdoor vinyl in different colors. Oracal 651 is just an Intermediate vinyl, they have other high performance vinyl that comes in multi colors and textures. If you are looking that carbon fiber look or the honeycomb, you get Oracal 975. They make other premiums as well that will last longer than the 651, but they are a little more expensive and I don't know that I would keep the same wrap for more than 5 years anyway. I don't even know if my Mavic is going to last 5 years so that remains to be seen anyway.

If you have bubbles in your wrap that comes from how you apply it, not the material. If you don't apply it evenly you will get air bubbles under it. As you fly it and it heats up either from the aircraft itself, or from the sun or air temperature, those bubbles will expand. The easy way to get rid of them is take a razor knife or a needle and poke some little holes in the bubble then take a scraper and smooth it back down to get the air out. If you still have a small bubble there, repeat the process until it is gone. Sometimes you won't see a bubble right away because it is very small, but after you have flown it for a while it may appear. It usually isn't poor vinyl, but just that the bubble was really small to begin with. You can use the above process and it will still stick back down.

As far as not being seen from the ground, that isn't really the case. I did mine in safety yellow and I can see it much better than the grey. The wrap covers the top, both sides, part of the underside and all sides of the arms. You will be surprised how much more it shows up. I now some people don't do it for that reason, but the whole purpose in me putting a wrap on was so I could pick it up visually, quicker, when I glanced down at my controller and then looked back up. It has made things 10 times better than what it was. I related this story in another post as well. The wrap also makes mine stand out in a crowd. I have only seen one other Mavic flying while I was out flying. I was out flying several months back and I had just landed and looked up and less than 50 yards from me was another Mavic flying at about eye level. Had I still been in the air and glanced away or at my controller and then looked back up, I could easily have mistaken it for my bird and crashed when it wasn't responding to my control. The wrap would be additional safety in that situation, so it could have a real purpose not just an aesthetic look.

Cant find the skin template please post it here

I've tried iCarbon's wrap. After 6 months,it still looked pretty good.
Overall Score 7/10

I've tried DroneWrap from Japan. After 5 months, looks like the day I put it on. It IS a little more expensive.
Overall Score 10/10.

I haven't tried DecalGirl personally, but to be honest, I don't think I'll ever try anything else after using DroneWrap.

Mavic Coloration X 2.jpgMavic Skin Color X.jpg

try Titandrones.com- great quality and their customer service is excellent,.... I use them often and highly recommend them,...

I have been looking at Decal Girl, a large amount to choose from and I'm going wild and bright. God forbid I would crash, then would be easier to find.

Reactions: wytnyt
I have been looking at Decal Girl, a large amount to choose from and I'm going wild and bright. God forbid I would crash, then would be easier to find.
finding it is why i chose white,some say you cant see it in the sky but i disagree as the sky isnt white,its more a blue

Reactions: 2nckayakers
I have gone for the Dronewrap as struggled to see mine against the UK grey sky. Very happy with the product and went on a dream. 10/10 so far.

ac7db1b7a2d21df27c7f9cf481c1e3e3.jpg
688ecf9156a593a87f0b611cea2622b2.jpg

Drone Wrap from Japan is amazing. Their meticulousness in the cut and the fit and attention to detail is brilliant. Right from the packaging to everything. I would definitely recommend them every day of the week and twice on weekends to someone looking for a Mavic Pro skin (at that is the only one I have tried).

Here are some pictures of just the packaging. Will post more when I put them on my Mavic Pro.

Attachments

• IMG_1495.JPG
    IMG_1495.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1497.JPG
    IMG_1497.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 101
Note: At Titandrones.com tap on the striped patch to the left of the name . On the pull down menu tap ‘Home ‘ and go to accessories then drop down to skins. Or put in ‘Skins ‘ in the ‘search’ space in the upper right..... Customer service is exceptional- Happy, safe flying.....[emoji106]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett