DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Skips Frames when panning.

Lee Snook

Reactions
Mavic Pro skips frames when panning. Seems to be correlated to changing the gimbal tilt while panning. Shot at 3840x2160 30 fps. Also happens when shooting 1920x1080 and at different frame rates. The pan studders when shooting at any frame rate besides 29.97 fps.
Example;

Reactions: DronleyGuy
Mavic Pro skips frames when panning. Seems to be correlated to changing the gimbal tilt while panning. Shot at 3840x2160 30 fps. Also happens when shooting 1920x1080 and at different frame rates. The pan studders when shooting at any frame rate besides 29.97 fps.
Example;

I've seen similar. But if you process via Handbrake does it still appear?

Youtube shows 3 dropped frames, which is what I see when watching it.

This is not normal, even at 4K and certainly not at the lower resolutions. I would start by looking at the SD card. Reformat the SD card, make sure your card is class 10, and try a card from a different manufacturer.

dropped_frames.JPG

Wow, thanks!! Some good research. Will go the SD card route for now and see if it fixes it. It sure did look like dropped frames to me. But, I took your suggestion of "gimbal twich" and did some searching. Recalibrated the gimbal, took it out and panned, still some skips. Sounds like the sd card can't swallow the BW. Now that I think of it, my results are the same for 1920x1080 30, 24fps. At these data rates, the sd card should work better but it doesn't.

Hello guys, I seem to have the same issue with my new Mavic Air. Some frames seem to miss. Or maybe the gimbal isn't 100% smooth. I can't really tell from the footage, but I'll some more test shots and check if I can come up with a solution/explanation.
I could also imagine, that the hardware of your computer isn't quick enough to play the video completely smooth. If you click through the video frame by frame, do you see that frames are missing?

I have had a similar problem with my Mavic Pro. When I play back the video on my PC it's very 'jumpy' when you pan around . I really calibrated my gimbal and made subtle differences to various settings but still persists. Amazon have been excellent and are sending out a replacement with no hesitation which makes me wonder if this is a problem with the current batch of drones????

One thing that I found was when I am panning and tilting at the same time, it has a tendency to skip frames.

Wow, thanks!! Some good research. Will go the SD card route for now and see if it fixes it. It sure did look like dropped frames to me. But, I took your suggestion of "gimbal twich" and did some searching. Recalibrated the gimbal, took it out and panned, still some skips. Sounds like the sd card can't swallow the BW. Now that I think of it, my results are the same for 1920x1080 30, 24fps. At these data rates, the sd card should work better but it doesn't.
Make sure that your SD card has a symbol on it which looks like a 'U' with number 3 inside it. These cards have the max. sustained write speed and will handle anything including all 4K video. We've just done an interesting Post on SD cards here if you want to get the full story ... SD card capacity

One thing that I found was when I am panning and tilting at the same time, it has a tendency to skip frames.
Again - look at the spec' of the SD card, because what's happening when you are panning/tilting, is that every pixel on the camera sensor is changing - or in other words, it's when you get max. change in the data writing to the card and need that capability to handle fast & sustained write speed..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580