DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Slowly moving drone without any wind

MadMaurizius

Reactions
Hello everyone,

today I changed the top cover of my DJI Mini 2 and after everything was screwed back together I noticed that the drone wobbles quite a bit when none of the two control sticks are moved. The test flight was in the evening around 09.30pm and the wind was very calm. Nothing went wrong during the disassembly and I don't have the feeling that I damaged anything, because if you are careful enough you don't come into contact with any internal components.
Do you have any idea what the problem could be or do any of you have this problem?
I have already replaced 4/8 of the propellers as some of them were a bit damaged, but I am not convinced that this is the cause as the drone wobbles a bit too much.

Thank you!

I noticed that the drone wobbles quite a bit when none of the two control sticks are moved.
Without knowing more about what you mean by "wobbles quite a bit", it's not possible to tell much.

Don't bother recalibrating anything ... that won't make any difference.
And if the drone didn't have the same issue before you replaced the cover, it has nothing to do with propellers.

Without knowing more about what you mean by "wobbles quite a bit", it's not possible to tell much.

Don't bother recalibrating anything ... that won't make any difference.
And if the drone didn't have the same issue before you replaced the cover, it has nothing to do with propellers.
The drone moves in air quiet a bit to the left/right/front/back. I think I remeber that this do not happend while I had the other cover

The drone moves in air quiet a bit to the left/right/front/back. I think I remeber that this do not happend while I had the other cover
Your "quite a bit" could be something different from what others guess it means.
Is it horizontal, or up and down?
How far does the drone move from position?
At what height have you observed this?
Have you gone higher than VPS range to see if that makes a difference?
Have you tried in daylight with a good surface for VPS to hold position?

Did it but nothing changed. What you mean with "sounds like a prop." ?
"Sounds like a prop" is what some suggest when they don't know what the issue is.
The same as suggesting recalibrating things.

I'd be wary of anyone making suggestions without knowing exactly what the drone is doing.

if you need to change one propeller on a motor you should replace both propellers on that motor with both new blades being from the same DJI packet.
They are supplied in weight matched pairs for centripetal balance.

Your "quite a bit" could be something different from what others guess it means.
Is it horizontal, or up and down?
How far does the drone move from position?
At what height have you observed this?
Have you gone higher than VPS range to see if that makes a difference?
Have you tried in daylight with a good surface for VPS to hold position?
like @mavic3usa said i think i will post a video tomorrow

if you need to change one propeller on a motor you should replace both propellers on that motor with both new blades being from the same DJI packet.
They are supplied in weight matched pairs for centripetal balance.
thats actually goood to know. I also saw "code" on the propeller so i think they must got the same letter and number

"Sounds like a prop" is what some suggest when they don't know what the issue is.
The same as suggesting recalibrating things.

I'd be wary of anyone making suggestions without knowing exactly what the drone is doing.
I am only working through the possible problems with the OP.
I cannot see the drone SO lets try the normal stuff and get that out of the way. Any objections?
I would be wary of taking suggestions from someone who trolls members yet offers no help besides " if I can't see it- I can't help you". My apologies to the OP for not being able to mentally diagnose your exact problem. I will try somehow to do better.
Maybe this other members next post could be a suggestion of a fix and not a review of other posts aimed to help the OP?
Sounds like a prop is of course the first thing I would check- Even though apparently there is NO WAY it could be a nicked prop or an unbalanced prop BUT everyone who has no idea will tell you to look at your props-- so I suppose don't even try looking at them sorry.
Calibrate- Some drones start acting up and a calibration can actually fix this Just like how you can get your crazy acting gimble to work by simply re-calibrating in python. BUT everyone who has no idea will tell you this apparently-- so skip that simple step and move to a more complex one.
I suppose without pics to save face I will tell you to send it to DJI and let them charge you for a new drone or to ship this one back simply because you didn't notice a nicked prop or debris on your sensors.
My apologies I am not here to offend or argue for that matter with other members, I am simply hoping I can help someone. I do not claim at all to be an expert and my suggestions are just that -suggestions-
I have helped many and have built a few Drones myself to add to my fleet of dozens Maybe I can help with the problem that is if no-one else minds.

I am only working through the possible problems with the OP.
I cannot see the drone SO lets try the normal stuff and get that out of the way. Any objections?
Yes .. you have no idea at all what the issue is or if there actually is an issue.
The only sensible thing to do is to identify the issue is before making suggestions.

Almost every time folks suggest recalibrating things, it won't do a thing to fix what's being complained about.
But people continue to recommend it because they hear others making the suggestion.
I would be wary of taking suggestions from someone who trolls members yet offers no help.
Seems you missed the point that what I did was to get the OP to give more information so that appropriate help could be given.
And if you think I don't help members here, you haven't been paying attention.

Reactions: Dronecation
Yes .. you have no idea at all what the issue is or if there actually is an issue.
The only sensible thing to do is to identify the issue is before making suggestions.
the suggestions made are ones I would give to anyone ..say over the phone I can't see the props so at least look at them I relize in todays busy world time is at a premium but the OP will expierience NO damage by looking at the props.
Perhaps these props are not OEM I have no idea of knowing in that case problem solved change the cheapos and start flying. I see no harm in asking if they at least inspected the props.
Almost every time folks suggest recalibrating things, it won't do a thing to fix what's being complained about.
But people continue to recommend it because they hear others making the suggestion.
There is that word ..ALMOST.. its a finicky word that means either it worked or it didn't -No harm in trying and it just may work I have fixed a few drones by simply re-flashing them in assistant and re-calibrating it. No harm can be done so whats the harm in trying.

There is that word ..ALMOST.. its a finicky word that means either it worked or it didn't -No harm in trying and it just may work I have fixed a few drones by simply re-flashing them in assistant and re-calibrating it.
I used the word almost out of an abundance of caution.
I'm not aware of any time that recalibrating would make a difference in the kind of situation the OP mentioned.
Folks that regularly prescribe recalibrating things generally don't understand what compass calibration actually does or when it's needed.
No harm can be done so whats the harm in trying.
What's to gain from something that won't make any difference?
The OP confirmed it made no difference to his situation and every other time I've seen similar recommendations it makes no difference.
It's past time to stop making the recommendation as a general "what's the harm" suggestion.

it's past time to stop making the recommendation as a general "what's the harm" suggestion.

My apologies and I will refrain from trying to help members with their problems. Perhaps there will be a time when I am educated enough to understand a compass and all of its intricacies and at that time I will try again-If they will have me.
Moderators-- My apologies for the off subject and this will be my last post on this problem.
Good luck MadMaurizius and despite my damage to your drone- I hope you will be up and flying soon. Maybe the experts can get you going. OUT

Hello everyone,

today I changed the top cover of my DJI Mini 2 and after everything was screwed back together I noticed that the drone wobbles quite a bit when none of the two control sticks are moved. The test flight was in the evening around 09.30pm and the wind was very calm. Nothing went wrong during the disassembly and I don't have the feeling that I damaged anything, because if you are careful enough you don't come into contact with any internal components.
Do you have any idea what the problem could be or do any of you have this problem?
I have already replaced 4/8 of the propellers as some of them were a bit damaged, but I am not convinced that this is the cause as the drone wobbles a bit too much.

Thank you!
"...changed the top cover and have already replaced 4 of the 8 prop blades..." seems to suggest you've had a bit of a prang. If this is the case, then I'd agree with Cafguy, start with the simple stuff and work up from there. If your drone had a foliage assisted stop before it bit the dirt, you may have other cracked blades. For example: my Autel Nano+ displayed similar wobbling after clipping an obstacle. By inspecting ALL 8 of the blades (visually AND by twisting them gently) I discovered that one of the rear CCW blades, even though it appeared completely undamaged, had a lateral stress fracture that couldn't be seen through a cursory look. As Yorkshire Pud mentioned, also make sure you have the correct and paired blades on the correct motors.
I repair my own kit, so I'll always start simple and start cheap. Prop blades are the cheapest component and the easiest to change.
If this didn't address the problem, I'd then work inwards and check the motor arms for damage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cafguy
My apologies and I will refrain from trying to help members with their problems. Perhaps there will be a time when I am educated enough to understand a compass and all of its intricacies and at that time I will try again-If they will have me.
Moderators-- My apologies for the off subject and this will be my last post on this problem.
Good luck MadMaurizius and despite my damage to your drone- I hope you will be up and flying soon. Maybe the experts can get you going. OUT
cafguy

.. dont pay attention to folks who shyt on you for trying to help. You spent a ton of time with me last month when I couldnt get my drone to connect with controller. turns out it was my internet connection. but we didnt know that. I was impressed that you would spend so much time trying help someone who obviously had no clue.(first drone)

keep it up bud and thank you

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cht6688