DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Small drone with good camera: I look for

Foxadriano

Reactions
Hi,
I am new and would like to buy a drone, but only to make good videos; I don't care about other drone stuff. I'm a documentary filmmaker (amateur) and I'd like some advice: As I would only use the drone when traveling, so I'd like a light drone and the Mini 2 would be perfect. But its camera isn't (rightfully) very good, I shoot only in UHD (4K). I'd like to mix its video with video taken with a good video camera on the ground. I'm not interested in HDR, ftp, etc. at all. etc. etc. but I'm only interested in the purest image quality, in other words the one that the lens is able to bestow (in the day, not in the nightby day) without adding anything. In your opinion, what is the best quality / price / weight ratio of a drone that I could buy? Thanks for some info.

Reactions: Dbez1
Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.

what is your budget for the drone and accessories?

Yes, but I have no experience. It seems to me that the lens of DJI Mavic Air 2 is the same as that of the Mini 2, apart from the fps and HDR.
I guess: I have to spend more money to get the same video quality as Mini 2 .... and with more weight.

While we haven't seen actual footage from the Mini2 by members here yet, I suspect it will be quite good. While the Mini2 might be the only one that meets your budget, it may be the best choice because of the drone laws in Italy, the Eu or wherever you might shoot.

I don't know what you expect, but the DJI prosumer drones are as good as you'll get until you get fairly high up in price. Based on your stated purpose, one thing that you will also have to budget for is neutral density filters. Presuming that you'll be shooting 25fps, you'll want the shutter speed to be at 1/50sec. With a fixed aperture of f2.8 the only way to allow you set the shutter speed at 1/50 to accomodate the amount of light in a situation will be with ND filters. While DJI drone allow you to boost the ISO, you can only drop it so far, most only having a low ISO of 100.

While it may not fulfill 100% of matching the quality of your ground cameras, I think based on your budget this is the only game in town. There is nothing in the market even close that will be able to match what the Mini2 can do. Generally speaking, with some budgetary contraints, and assuming it's legal where you're flying, the Mavic Air2 would be a better bet. I don't think the picture quality would be much better if at all than the Mini2. But the MA2 would provide more stability in gusty situation and has a wonderful feature set. The MA2 allows you to shoot in the D-Cinelike mode, which I presume is similar to DLog-M which is available on the Mavic 2 Pro. Having one of those modes would help with dynamic range, but for most shooters the normal modes provide excellent video and still images. But it depends on your individual needs and goals. JMO

Reactions: NG Wildman
Thank you, thank you, thank you for your interesting reply.
Excuse my inexperience, so I don't understand well, also because english isn't my mother language. But I need to understand better. You are also video expert, so I hope you will reply me again.
Yes, I will shoot at 25p and with D-Cinelike option. You are telling me that I have to put an ND filter and the Mini 2 just has to shoot at f2.8 only (not being able to raise the ISO- 100 MAX .
Why should I put an ND filter on the lens and to lower aperture at f2.8? Is it better you don't use that ND filter and to shoot at f4 or f5.6. Where am I wrong?
Thanks again.

The idea of an ND filter is so that you can use slower shutter speeds in brighter scenes to match the fps. You can't change apertures in the MM2 or MA2. You'd need the M2P for that which I'm sure is way out of your budget. From the sounds of it, going with higher ISO would create too much video noise for you in lower light.

I think you're asking for pro quality out of consumer priced products which is not realistic. Even so, even the less expensive Mavics produce good videos in normal outdoor lighting.

Why should I put an ND filter on the lens and to lower aperture at f2.8? Is it better you don't use that ND filter and to shoot at f4 or f5.6. Where am I wrong?
The only Mavic drone with a controllable aperture is the Mavic 2 pro.
It also has a larger sensor to give much better low light results.
All other Mavics have small sensors and fixed (f2.8) aperture.

Now I got it right. I didn't imagine that f2.8 aperture was fixed.
Let me to ask a question please. I will use MM2 in sunny places (Africa). What ND filter could I buy exactly?
Thanks

You would want a set so you could use the one for that time that gets you a shutter speed close to 2x the frame rate. The 2x rule is mainly to maintain a bit of motion blur that's more natural to human eyes.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your interesting reply.
Excuse my inexperience, so I don't understand well, also because english isn't my mother language. But I need to understand better. You are also video expert, so I hope you will reply me again.
Yes, I will shoot at 25p and with D-Cinelike option. You are telling me that I have to put an ND filter and the Mini 2 just has to shoot at f2.8 only (not being able to raise the ISO- 100 MAX .
Thanks again.
I'll try to make the explanation as simply as I can. The Mavic Mini, DJI Mini2 and the Mavic Air 2 all have fixed apertures of f2.8. You cannot adjust the aperture (f stop). It is always f2.8. The golden rule of setting the ISO is to leave it at the lowest ISO setting, ISO100 if possible. Obviously in low light you can raise the ISO- but you cannot LOWER the ISO below ISO100. in otherwords, no ISO below 100...

...So assuming that you are shooting in daylight and want to maintain a shutter speed of 1/50th second for a cinematic look (corresponding to the 25fps setting) and the ISO is at 100 and cannot be lowered and the the aperture is f2.8... how can you lower the exposure, given all three settings are a given if the exposure value is brighter than those setting? There is only one way: ND filters. HOWEVER, if you don't have ND filters, then naturally you would have to raise the shutter speed, which is easily done, but then you are no longer matching the shutter speed at 2x the frame rate. Understand? I hope I get the Italian translation right for you :)

Cercherò di rendere la spiegazione il più semplice possibile. Il Mavic Mini, il DJI Mini2 e il Mavic Air 2 hanno tutti un'apertura fissa di f2,8. Non è possibile regolare l'apertura (f stop). È sempre f2.8. La regola d'oro per impostare l'ISO è di lasciarlo all'impostazione ISO più bassa, ISO100 se possibile. Ovviamente con poca luce puoi alzare gli ISO ma non puoi ABBASSARE gli ISO sotto ISO100. in altre parole, nessun ISO inferiore a 100 ...

... Quindi supponendo che tu stia scattando alla luce del giorno e desideri mantenere una velocità dell'otturatore di 1/50 di secondo per un aspetto cinematografico (corrispondente all'impostazione di 25 fps) e l'ISO è a 100 e non può essere abbassato e l'apertura è f2 .8 ... come puoi abbassare l'esposizione, dato che tutte e tre le impostazioni sono un dato se il valore di esposizione è più luminoso di quelle impostate? C'è solo un modo: i filtri ND. TUTTAVIA, se non si dispone di filtri ND, è naturale che si debba aumentare la velocità dell'otturatore, il che è facile, ma in tal caso non si corrisponde più alla velocità dell'otturatore a 2x il frame rate. Capisci?

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O You have explained to me so well that I have no more questions to ask. :D:D:D

Seriously: so what ND grade should I buy for sunny days? Maybe an ND8 could be fine?
Then ... I went to read the specs of the Mavic Mini 2 and I don't see the filter pitch (the size of the thread). You who have experience, can you recommend an excellent precise filter?
Does Amazone sell this type of filter? It's so small that it won't be easy to find, but maybe I'm wrong.
I don't know how to thank you because with a few words you opened a world ahead of me.

PS. In your opinion is it better to buy the MM2 on Amazon, eBay or the official dealer website?

Last edited:
o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O You have explained to me so well that I have no more questions to ask. :D:D:D

Seriously: so what ND grade should I buy for sunny days? Maybe an ND8 could be fine?
Then ... I went to read the specs of the Mavic Mini 2 and I don't see the filter pitch (the size of the thread). You who have experience, can you recommend an excellent precise filter?
Does Amazone sell this type of filter? It's so small that it won't be easy to find, but maybe I'm wrong.
I don't know how to thank you because with a few words you opened a world ahead of me.

PS. In your opinion is it better to buy the MM2 on Amazon, eBay or the official dealer website?
Since light changes, you will need several ND filters to obtain optimal performance under different lighting situations. You use the word bright, but that doesn’t tell us how bright. This is a subject you should investigate so you understand it thoroughly. Best wishes

The best camera in the Mavic line is on the Mavic 2 Pro. Hasselblad camera with a 1 inch Sensor.

Reading through this it seems no one has mentioned (or I missed it) that the Camera on the Mavic Air 2 is much more advanced then the camera on the Mini 2. "The Mavic Air 2 can shoot 4K video at 60 fps and features a ½ CMOS sensor (Mini 2 is 1/2.3) that can capture 48-megapixel stills, giving you much greater quality than the Mini 2. The DJI Mavic Air 2 also gives you more options for formatting"

"Does Amazone sell this type of filter? "
ND Filters for almost ALL DJI drones are sold on Amazon and many other retailers. They are not difficult to find. They come from a lot of different manufacturers but I feel most people would state Polar Pro are among the best. They are most often sold in "kits" of 3 to 6 filters. I have personally bought Neewer filters for my drones that were a fraction of the price and they have worked very well.
Lots of information and recommendations on ND filters right here on MavicPilots of course from people with more experience then me!! :)

Thanks for your precious info. I don't take stills, but only videos. Do you know the differences between Mini 2 and Air 2 about 4K video megapixels?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman