DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Small question about battery drain

crucx

Reactions
Hey just a small question: Lets say there is something 2.000 meters away from me that i want to capture. So i have to take off my drone (mavic air) and fly all the way there. Should i use sport mode till i arrive to the destination and then turn it back off and do the capture ? or should i fly in normal mode all the way there ?
Which of these 2 ways costs me less battery ? i wont fly that far since i am not allowed to, but i want to know what's effective. I am highly sure i will return with a higher battery percentage if i fly to the destination in sport mode, capture in normal mode (because for the capture mode i never use sports mode) and then fly back again over sports mode.
If i would fly to the destination in normal mode, and then also back in normal mode, that would cost to much time and i believe i would have like 40% battery left once i returned. But with sports mode i would have over 60% still if my theory is right.

Also, does recording drain any battery ? if not, i can hit the record button straight before taking off till to the destination.

Hey just a small question: Lets say there is something 2.000 meters away from me that i want to capture. So i have to take off my drone (mavic air) and fly all the way there. Should i use sport mode till i arrive to the destination and then turn it back off and do the capture ? or should i fly in normal mode all the way there ?
Which of these 2 ways costs me less battery ? i wont fly that far since i am not allowed to, but i want to know what's effective. I am highly sure i will return with a higher battery percentage if i fly to the destination in sport mode, capture in normal mode (because for the capture mode i never use sports mode) and then fly back again over sports mode.
If i would fly to the destination in normal mode, and then also back in normal mode, that would cost to much time and i believe i would have like 40% battery left once i returned. But with sports mode i would have over 60% still if my theory is right.

Also, does recording drain any battery ? if not, i can hit the record button straight before taking off till to the destination.
Hmmmm.......

And.......

All easily found using search function in a few seconds...

Thanks, didn't know that. So my theory was wrong. I will have more battery when coming back with normal mode the whole flight than sports mode.

Thanks, didn't know that. So my theory was wrong. I will have more battery when coming back with normal mode the whole flight than sports mode.
One tip... if at all possible always fly out against the wind and back with it. Also battery remaining life is constantly recomputed by the drone... for instance when you turn an d go with the wind you’ll see an increase in battery life. Just don’t get too confident with it.

Hello, pardon for hijacking this thread, as my question is related to batteries as well.

I flew my drone yesterday and drained all 3 of my batteries, now they are all about 10-20% in the bag and one in the drone, so I know I won't be flying the next few days - 1 week, in that case, I did not charge up my batteries and left it flat on 10-20%, would this be a better method to store batteries ?

It's not quite that simple. Even in the absence of any wind the maximum efficiency in terms of distance per unit energy is almost certainly above the top speed of P-GPS mode on the Mavic Air, so you probably need sport mode to reach it. It's going to be less than top speed in sport mode, however.

Reactions: WithTheBirds
Hello, pardon for hijacking this thread, as my question is related to batteries as well.

I flew my drone yesterday and drained all 3 of my batteries, now they are all about 10-20% in the bag and one in the drone, so I know I won't be flying the next few days - 1 week, in that case, I did not charge up my batteries and left it flat on 10-20%, would this be a better method to store batteries ?
If your flying within a week leave them as they are. If you didn’t know when you were going to fly next it would be a good idea to stick them on the charger until 3rd light starts to flash.

Reactions: BillLin
If your flying within a week leave them as they are. If you didn’t know when you were going to fly next it would be a good idea to stick them on the charger until 3rd light starts to flash.
Ahh so you mean that if i'm flying within the week, leave it as it is 10-20% ? And if I am not sure when I'll be flying again, then charge all 3 up to at least to the 3rd light and pull the plug ?

if I am not sure when I'll be flying again, then charge all 3 up to at least to the 3rd light and pull the plug ?

Until 3rd light starts flashing, that's about 50%, which is what DJI drop to when auto discharging.
If not flying for a week or two, there should be little natural drop in voltage.

Several months ? It would be good to check once a month to ensure charge stays about say one light, but I think it's when they are left as low as 5 - 10% or so that damage can occur to these Lipos.

Reactions: BillLin and JS1600

I’d charge them to 50-60% (third light flashing while charging. Then you’re right in any event. Check the charge every 30 days or so if unused to maintain storage levels recommended.

Reactions: BillLin
I’d charge them to 50-60% (third light flashing while charging. Then you’re right in any event. Check the charge every 30 days or so if unused to maintain storage levels recommended.
You won’t hurt anything doing that however it is entirely unnecessary.

Reactions: AusTrekie
Will do mate, thanks for the insight and advice. Will charge it until the moment the 3rd light starts flashing and turn it off.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zohpar