DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

(small rant) those claiming antenna mods do nothing...

Haha excellent! I live just barely off Killington mountain in VT, and after reading through the designs and specs, I ended up going with a MaxxUAV panel antenna. And I installed it myself. I'm pretty used to working with antennas and electronics by now. :)
Do you have any videos of Killington for public consumption?

My family and I ski there but I have only seen one really good aerial video (done by helicopter).
Obviously you cant fly from the ski mountains, but I would think some videos would pop up here and there.

There simply isn't enough information to make any meaningful analysis.
I put the blame squarely on the manufacturers for providing absolutely zero technical information on their products. All hams that have progressed beyond 2 meter HT's would know to look for performance graphs and specs on any equipment they're considering. Look in any ARRL handbook - especially their excellent antennas book - and you will see field strength charts that give accurate antenna propagation patterns and gain figures. From this you have the information to make intelligent decisions. Nothing else counts because as you correctly state word of mouth is hardly a ringing endorsement with so many variables including financial incentives and psychological ones such as cognitive dissonance.
I'm seriously at a loss to explain how anyone can develop microwave transmission and reception equipment without test results to measure progress and see what is happening during development.
There's actually a pretty big market for 2.4 Ghz antennas - I actually worry some of the products are "adapted" from a commercial product with no real understanding of design.
Here is a specification sheet for a commercial 2.4Ghz 18dbi panel antenna. This is the sort of info I'd expect to see if the product was developed and evaluated with test equipment.

Exactly this! If the manufacturer designed their device around pattern/gain analysis, then they would have published their results with the product. Absence of it is a warning that they probably did no such testing. It's possible that they got lucky with their design but much more likely (since there are so many more ways to fail) that their product does not help much, anecdotes to the contrary. The hams, microwave techs, etc. here are trying to help you understand this before you shell out bucks. If it is cheap like this, then try it. If it is more than $50 or so, you should look for pattern/gain data in their marketing information to back it up.

Don

Reactions: Brojon
In our hobby, the subject of antenna modifications always comes up. Inevitably, there are a great deal of people who immediately jump on them with statements about how antenna mods are worthless and how you gain nothing. or 10%. Or whatever number they want to throw out this week.

As an Amateur Radio operator (ham radio), I'd just like to take a moment to leave you all with some thoughts.

So, you got a drone, and you have flown it. Maybe even in several areas. You think you have a firm grip on how this equipment works. But here is your first food for thought. Radio frequencies and how they work are not a cookie cutter "this to this" type of scenario. In fact, how frequencies work is so vast, understanding them is a hobby in itself. Most of you only think of it as LOS (Line of sight), but you miss the part where a near infinite number of variables come into play here. Free space loss, absorption loss, diffraction, multipath, terrain, buildings, the material of structures, and even the atmosphere itself.

Then there is the understanding of various antennas and what they do. An Omnidirectional antenna works significantly different than a yagi or a parabolic.

The truth of the matter is, there are so many different types of antennas because every single situation requires something different. What works for you won't work as well for someone living in the mountains, or in a city, or on a beach, or over a corn field, or in a desert.

So for someone on the internet to say, so matter of fact, that no antenna mod is worth it for anyone, just because Joe Schmoe out in Kansas got 4 miles of range with the stock antennas is... to say the least... inaccurate.

To sum it up... if your very first questions don't pertain to where the poster lives and what terrain they are dealing with, your answer is wrong.

If you really want to learn about this, there are literally millions of free books and sites to check out. And without a doubt, it will help you out a great deal in your travels with this hobby.

And on a side note... for my use in my terrain, installing a panel antenna on my P3P took my max range from 1200' out @ 400' (less than 1/4 mile) before losing signal all together, to an immeasurable distance (battery goes dead first - More than 4 miles) at about 200' with 3% signal loss. So even assuming that at the distance my battery dies is the distance I lose my signal entirely, thats still a 1660% increase. Not the 10% I keep seeing thrown around here. Omnidirectional antennas simply do not work in the area where I live, and I am sure they don't work for a lot of other people.

We have all been around forums and the internet long enough now to understand that false information is damaging. Your words have the potential to spread like wildfire because so many people get so used to just repeating everything they read without questioning any of it. That is never any good for anyone. Help the hobby to progress. Understand the 'how' and 'why' of everything. Don't repeat your own experience like it is fact, and the only truth that exists. Because it isn't. And there isn't one person here that shouldn't know that by now, given the tons of different experiences you have all shared regarding every other aspect of this hobby.

Thank you for your time.

Hey,

I have seen a lot of people recommending antenna mods but a lot of them know nothing about antennas and waves. As an amateur radio operator, what cheap mod would you recommend for someone living in a place with not much frequencies but LOTS of high trees?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,

I have seen a lot of people recommending antenna mods but a lot of them know nothing about antennas and waves. As an amateur radio operator, what cheap mod would you recommend for someone living in a place with not much frequencies but LOTS of high trees?
If you're a HAM then you are qualified to do your own mods.
I have stated my issues with what's out there - namely no test data and non-existent claims - they literally don't even make any claims!
Anyway - the amp'd versions use 4 watt amps. Given the declared stock power by Dji this represents a measly 3dbm or so (USA specs). You can get much better gain just with a decent antenna.
At 2.4/5.8 Ghz there are many directional antenna designs or even a simple half or full wave whip. I'd suggest the ARRL antenna handbook for ideas.
Then of course you'll need a SWR meter to match them properly.
That's how folk that like to do QRP do it.

If you're a HAM then you are qualified to do your own mods.
I have stated my issues with what's out there - namely no test data and non-existent claims - they literally don't even make any claims!
Anyway - the amp'd versions use 4 watt amps. Given the declared stock power by Dji this represents a measly 3dbm or so (USA specs). You can get much better gain just with a decent antenna.
At 2.4/5.8 Ghz there are many directional antenna designs or even a simple half or full wave whip. I'd suggest the ARRL antenna handbook for ideas.
Then of course you'll need a SWR meter to match them properly.
That's how folk that like to do QRP do it.

Sorry if I was unclear, but I am not an HAM .I was talking about you, sorry for the poor phrasing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet