DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Capture test - "Walking the Dog"

Travisimo

Reactions
I call it "walking the dog" because that's a bit what it feels like. No actual leash, but you command the Air with gestures and it follows you around. I took my Air to a local park and walked with it for 15+ minutes with only minor issues. The tracking works very well, and though the gestures sometimes take a couple of tries, they are very useful.

Here are some things I noticed during my flight:

1) Video recording is limited to 1080p/30 in this mode, regardless of whether you initiate with or without the controller or app. Also, it LEAVES the settings at 1080p when you are done, so make sure you switch back to 2k or 4k manually when you are done.

2) The tracking is very good, but can get a bit thrown off if you are in dark shadow in a high contrast area

3) Taking photos has a bit of a learning curve, because I had a hard time knowing when it actually takes the photo, even with the blinking lights. I'll get used to it, I'm sure, but I had several photos where my eyes were closed.

4) You can make the Air go higher or lower by using your palm, and sometimes you need to do this to avoid obstacles above you. For example, when I was walking down a path with bare branches coming across, it didn't always see them, so I needed to lower the Air manually a few times. So you can't just start walking and assume the obstacle avoidance will always work 100%.

5) The height of the Air can get thrown off if you walk up or down an incline. For example, if you start walking uphill, the Air will sometimes stay lower instead of raising itself to keep the same relative height to you. Not a big deal because you can just use your palm to raise it or lower it, but something to be aware of.

6) When the battery is low, it will just land. And I don't think you can stop it, so I can see this being an issue if it's not at a good place to land. I assume it using the bottom sensors to make sure it is landing safely, but there is no way to cancel the landing from what I could tell, nor did I see any indication that the battery was low (maybe the lights blinked but I didn't notice, I'll have to check next time).

7) Overall, this mode is a LOT of fun and quite impressive. It's definitely a mode that will get the attention of those around you. Just make sure you move the Air out of the way (using your palm) when people are going by so that they don't feel uncomfortable or threatened.

Here is my 15 minute video of the walk I did today, only edited to insert photos and notes:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: ZAG
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wiz4rd