DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart controller and ipad

Retired Navy

Reactions
Anyone have an idea how we can use an iPad or some portable monitor to allow a second person to see what the drone is filming so they don’t have to look over your shoulder. I’ve tried HDMI to the smart controller to an Apple lightning adapter and HDMI to the iPad. No luck.
HDMI to HDMI to a computer monitor works great, but it is too large to take out side and needs Ac power, as well.
Will a small portable monitor with either HDMI or USB connections work?

I’ve also down loaded ApowerMirror App on both devices. Same WiFi, so each does detect each device, but it not now show the smart controller screen.
I’ve read Hollyland MarsX device might be any option. It is a portable, video transmitter........it may work.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Ken

HDMI to a monitor ... it's in the manual. There are small battery powered monitors for high end video cameras.

This one looks interesting:
Comes with a battery plate for an NP970 battery...

I imagine the plate looks like this, and has a cable - but not sure.

And the battery is like this one:

Guessing it'll run the monitor for just over an hour.

But there's this cheaper version, too:

Reactions: RobW01
Get a hdmi wireless dongle. Works great with a portable monitor you can set up away from where you are operating877A884A-73B9-4BDF-8F4E-5A720B465548.jpeg69EC6A63-77EA-4C95-A048-A83CF84F549B.jpeg

Anyone have an idea how we can use an iPad or some portable monitor to allow a second person to see what the drone is filming so they don’t have to look over your shoulder. I’ve tried HDMI to the smart controller to an Apple lightning adapter and HDMI to the iPad. No luck.
HDMI to HDMI to a computer monitor works great, but it is too large to take out side and needs Ac power, as well.

I’ve also down loaded ApowerMirror App on both devices. Same WiFi, so each does detect each device, but it not now show the smart controller screen.
I’ve read Hollyland MarsX device might be any option. It is a portable, video transmitter........it may work.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Ken
Give search a go. It’s well addressed there. Flysafe. Godspeed, Droniac

This one looks interesting:
Comes with a battery plate for an NP970 battery...

I imagine the plate looks like this, and has a cable - but not sure.

And the battery is like this one:

Guessing it'll run the monitor for just over an hour.

But there's this cheaper version, too:
The Feelworld is very good, but unless you mount it on a tripod for you’ll need an adaptor to hold it. LifThor makes one for the SC.

The best monitor out there will be the Feelworld 729S because it is an amazing 2,200 NITS of brightness, more than twice the 1,000NITS the bright SC is and it has a 7 inch screen. Plus it is light weight and uses low cost Sony batteries that can be bought on ebay for a few dollars.

I have one and it is excellent, a simple HDMI to HDMI cable and you are ready to go. They sell for around $245 I believe B&H sell them but I bought an open box one on ebay for $179. so look around first. Feelworld make a range of monitors but only the 7 inch 729S is the brightest and it is worth the extra few dollars over their lower priced monitors. Nobody else makes such a bright monitor, nit even the Crystal Sky Suoer Bright monitor is as bright as the 729S.

Lifthor makes an adapter for just over $100 and well made it is. However, I found a guy on ebay that makes a 3D unit and you can buy that for about $39 or so, I believe. It all depends on your budget in the end. Your best bet is definitely the Feelworld monitor.

And if you just want a monitor for someone else to hold and watch what you camera is seeing, you don't need to buy a mount or tripod, the other person just holds it.

Reactions: Retired Navy
The best monitor out there will be the Feelworld 729S because it is an amazing 2,200 NITS of brightness, more than twice the 1,000NITS the bright SC is and it has a 7 inch screen. Plus it is light weight and uses low cost Sony batteries that can be bought on ebay for a few dollars.

I have one and it is excellent, a simple HDMI to HDMI cable and you are ready to go. They sell for around $245 I believe B&H sell them but I bought an open box one on ebay for $179. so look around first. Feelworld make a range of monitors but only the 7 inch 729S is the brightest and it is worth the extra few dollars over their lower priced monitors. Nobody else makes such a bright monitor, nit even the Crystal Sky Suoer Bright monitor is as bright as the 729S.

Lifthor makes an adapter for just over $100 and well made it is. However, I found a guy on ebay that makes a 3D unit and you can buy that for about $39 or so, I believe. It all depends on your budget in the end. Your best bet is definitely the Feelworld monitor.

And if you just want a monitor for someone else to hold and watch what you camera is seeing, you don't need to buy a mount or tripod, the other person just holds it.
Thanks.....great feedback.

I tried

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Ken
APowerMirror is supposed to work with your phone as a hotspot between SC and IPad, could not not get this to work.

APowerMirror connect drone via SC to my Windows Desktop only

Connecting the SC directly to IPad does not work

Even trying via WiFi was unsuccessful

Let me know if anyone managed to connect a second monitor, seems only solution is another SC to use as slave controller

I tried

APowerMirror is supposed to work with your phone as a hotspot between SC and IPad, could not not get this to work.

APowerMirror connect drone via SC to my Windows Desktop only

Connecting the SC directly to IPad does not work

Even trying via WiFi was unsuccessful

Let me know if anyone managed to connect a second monitor, seems only solution is another SC to use as slave controller
Read my post #9 above (though ignore the number in that post it is NOT a 729 but rather a 279S), a low cost way to get the HDMI connected super bright (2,200NITS) Feelworld 279S which is a 7 inch monitor. A direct HDMI to HDMI connection between the SC and this monitor. At around $235 or so it is a great low cost option as a monitor.

Thanks.....great feedback.
Thanks........I’ve had zero success with power mirror or a new iPad. Not giving up, but it is frustrating. The only success I’ve had is HDMI from SC to HDMI in back of a standard computer monitor. The Screen on the SC shows right up on the monitor. But, of course, this does me no good for the purpose of having someone stand nearby to view what the drone is seeing.

Thanks........I’ve had zero success with power mirror or a new iPad. Not giving up, but it is frustrating. The only success I’ve had is HDMI from SC to HDMI in back of a standard computer monitor. The Screen on the SC shows right up on the monitor. But, of course, this does me no good for the purpose of having someone stand nearby to view what the drone is seeing.
As has been said, there are other monitors out there, however, I have had great success with my Feelworld. If you get a long HDMI cable, your friend can stand nearby and watch what you are seeing and doing on the SC, or you can simply choose to have the monitor show only what the camera is seeing with no distracting info around the edges of the screen. It's the best option I know of, as well as the best price.

Reactions: AnzacJack
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98