Get more from your Mavic
The largest Mavic community in the world
Join Us Now

Smart controller and Occusync 3 (O3)

Srcrain

Reactions
The guy at Drone Valley said the difference between Occusync 2 and Occusync 3 is just a software difference and not hardware. He basically said that the Smart controller would be compatible with O3 after a firmware update. Is this true?

It doesn't matter so much now but will on the Mavic 3 (if it ever gets released) and I think the Mavic Air 2 S.

I love the smart controller and would hate to have to replace it.

Reactions: gppms

Repaid1

Premium Pilot
Reactions
The guy at Drone Valley said the difference between Occusync 2 and Occusync 3 is just a software difference and not hardware. He basically said that the Smart controller would be compatible with O3 after a firmware update. Is this true?

It doesn't matter so much now but will on the Mavic 3 (if it ever gets released) and I think the Mavic Air 2 S.

Can you post a link to what video he said that? Never mind I found it...He actually said the SC won't work and "might" be able given basics, but doesn't know and will contact DJI for info and to see if they even have it in thought. @3:00 minute mark.

What are you flying now and why would you have to replace it, plan on selling and moving up to MA2S and M3? IF so sell the SC with all your previous. I suspect if anything DJI will make a new SC system to advance to their newer releases.

Last edited:

Srcrain

Reactions
Can you post a link to what video he said that? Never mind I found it...He actually said the SC won't work and "might" be able given basics, but doesn't know and will contact DJI for info and to see if they even have it in thought. @3:00 minute mark.

What are you flying now and why would you have to replace it, plan on selling and moving up to MA2S and M3? IF so sell the SC with all your previous. I suspect if anything DJI will make a new SC system to advance to their newer releases.

That is the exact video I was talking about. My wording was poor. I didn't mean to suggest it is compatible now with any O3 drone (currently just DJI FPV) or that DJI has any plans to make it compatible. I really just wanted to know if his comment about it being POSSIBLE with a software change is accurate.

I currently have a MAVIC 2 Pro, the DJI FPV drone, and a GEPRC Rocket Lite (with CADDX Vista). I sold a Spark, Mavic Mini, and the original Mavic.

You're right I have no plans of selling or upgrading unless the MAVIC 3 is amazing. I love what I have now. Only upgrade I need is a Mini if /when I start to travel overseas. The weight makes a big difference in a lot of countries.

RobW01

Reactions

A leading Australian DJI dealer says he believes there might be an SC upgrade coming—maybe using the chip from the SC Enterprise version. On the other hand, the current SC was originally designed for the M2P, so as long as that’s being sold they will continue to sell an SC that supports it. I doubt the M2P will be updated to OcuSync 3.

Cymru

Reactions
Everything in the SC and drones is entirely software-defined radio now.
The frequencies and so on are also the same so the physical hardware wont change.

So yes, its highly likely DJI *could* upgrade the SC to Occusync 3. The question is will they....
I suspect now as given their customer surveys there's a new SC in development.

Reactions: gppms

gppms

Reactions

Yeah I think he is right because when I bought the phantom 4 pro v2 the transmission system was ocusync 1 and after a firmware upgrade became ocusync 2.