DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart controller and Occusync 3 (O3)

Srcrain

Reactions
The guy at Drone Valley said the difference between Occusync 2 and Occusync 3 is just a software difference and not hardware. He basically said that the Smart controller would be compatible with O3 after a firmware update. Is this true?

It doesn't matter so much now but will on the Mavic 3 (if it ever gets released) and I think the Mavic Air 2 S.

I love the smart controller and would hate to have to replace it.

Reactions: gppms
The guy at Drone Valley said the difference between Occusync 2 and Occusync 3 is just a software difference and not hardware. He basically said that the Smart controller would be compatible with O3 after a firmware update. Is this true?

It doesn't matter so much now but will on the Mavic 3 (if it ever gets released) and I think the Mavic Air 2 S.

Can you post a link to what video he said that? Never mind I found it...He actually said the SC won't work and "might" be able given basics, but doesn't know and will contact DJI for info and to see if they even have it in thought. @3:00 minute mark.

What are you flying now and why would you have to replace it, plan on selling and moving up to MA2S and M3? IF so sell the SC with all your previous. I suspect if anything DJI will make a new SC system to advance to their newer releases.

Last edited:
Can you post a link to what video he said that? Never mind I found it...He actually said the SC won't work and "might" be able given basics, but doesn't know and will contact DJI for info and to see if they even have it in thought. @3:00 minute mark.

What are you flying now and why would you have to replace it, plan on selling and moving up to MA2S and M3? IF so sell the SC with all your previous. I suspect if anything DJI will make a new SC system to advance to their newer releases.

That is the exact video I was talking about. My wording was poor. I didn't mean to suggest it is compatible now with any O3 drone (currently just DJI FPV) or that DJI has any plans to make it compatible. I really just wanted to know if his comment about it being POSSIBLE with a software change is accurate.

I currently have a MAVIC 2 Pro, the DJI FPV drone, and a GEPRC Rocket Lite (with CADDX Vista). I sold a Spark, Mavic Mini, and the original Mavic.

You're right I have no plans of selling or upgrading unless the MAVIC 3 is amazing. I love what I have now. Only upgrade I need is a Mini if /when I start to travel overseas. The weight makes a big difference in a lot of countries.

A leading Australian DJI dealer says he believes there might be an SC upgrade coming—maybe using the chip from the SC Enterprise version. On the other hand, the current SC was originally designed for the M2P, so as long as that’s being sold they will continue to sell an SC that supports it. I doubt the M2P will be updated to OcuSync 3.

Everything in the SC and drones is entirely software-defined radio now.
The frequencies and so on are also the same so the physical hardware wont change.

So yes, its highly likely DJI *could* upgrade the SC to Occusync 3. The question is will they....
I suspect now as given their customer surveys there's a new SC in development.

Reactions: gppms

Yeah I think he is right because when I bought the phantom 4 pro v2 the transmission system was ocusync 1 and after a firmware upgrade became ocusync 2.

sure, scroll down to remote controller it's listed in DJI specifications as ocusync 2:
  • Remote Controller Transmission System

• OcuSync 2.0
  • Battery Life

• 6 hours (4 hours when charging a mobile device)
  • Supported Mobile Device Connectors

• Lightning, Micro USB, USB-C
  • Max Supported Mobile Device Size

• 180×86×10 mm (length×width×height)
  • Operating Temperature

• 0° to 40°C (32° to 104°F)

DJI Air 2S - Specs - DJI

sure, scroll down to remote controller it's listed in DJI specifications as ocusync 2:
  • Remote Controller Transmission System

• OcuSync 2.0
  • Battery Life

• 6 hours (4 hours when charging a mobile device)
  • Supported Mobile Device Connectors

• Lightning, Micro USB, USB-C
  • Max Supported Mobile Device Size

• 180×86×10 mm (length×width×height)
  • Operating Temperature

• 0° to 40°C (32° to 104°F)

DJI Air 2S - Specs - DJI
I meant in regards to the range complaints. The majority of the reviews and tests I've seen have been fairly positive aside from a couple drops in "bars"

So what is O3?
Is it only on the drone (4 antennas?), is it also software on the drone (controller?)
Inquiring minds want to know...

Last edited:
So what is O3?
Is it only on the drone (4 antennas?), is it also software on the drone (controller?)
Inquiring minds want to know...

The current implementation for the Air 2S is the antennas on the drone, and perhaps processing in the drone. I don't recall if a firmware update to the controller was necessary to connect to the Air 2S, if not (and I didn't think so) then controller software would be the same as well, but perhaps they did do something in firmware. The 2S controller is the same as the 2 hardware-wise so nothing special happening there. Yet to be seen if there is a more complete implementation of O3 where controller hardware is different for future drones (or controllers), but to-date there are no hardware changes on the controller side.

Reactions: RGS2010
The current implementation for the Air 2S is the antennas on the drone, and perhaps processing in the drone. I don't recall if a firmware update to the controller was necessary to connect to the Air 2S, if not (and I didn't think so) then controller software would be the same as well, but perhaps they did do something in firmware. The 2S controller is the same as the 2 hardware-wise so nothing special happening there. Yet to be seen if there is a more complete implementation of O3 where controller hardware is different for future drones (or controllers), but to-date there are no hardware changes on the controller side.
I’d imagine it’s software/firmware related, but it’s hard to tell. I’m a new 2s pilot with SC so the only thing I can comment on is observed range and performance. I’m getting a max of two miles right now…and that requires significant altitude (I’ll leave it at that). I’ve lost signal a few times if my altitude gets too low. This has all been in a exurban area with a lot of farmland and rolling hills, some significant. There are a TON of high tension wires around the area, which can’t be helping.

As I’m upgrading from an entry level drone (Holy Stone), I’m still very impressed with the performance. I’d love to experiment with long range flights though. I’ve considered a range extender module….but we’ll see.

Not a chance. It will be in the new SC that will launch with the Mavic 3.

Not a chance. It will be in the new SC that will launch with the Mavic 3.
That’s extremely disappointing because the Air 2S is marketed as Occusync 3, and there is no disclaimer about the smart controller combo. If DJI follows through and makes customers “upgrade” to get the capability they originally claimed, it’s going to be a real problem.

Reactions: RGS2010
In one last, desperate attempt to get the SC to work smoothly with my Air 2S, I just bought a couple of 300 MB/second SD cards for my SC and for the drone. Will also set SC to Smooth in settings. Will let you know. I flew yesterday day with stock setup and my iPhone and it was a great SMOOTH flight that sets the standard but, of course in bright sunlight it is a challenge to see phone screen much of the time where SC screen is great.

In one last, desperate attempt to get the SC to work smoothly with my Air 2S, I just bought a couple of 300 MB/second SD cards for my SC and for the drone. Will also set SC to Smooth in settings. Will let you know. I flew yesterday day with stock setup and my iPhone and it was a great SMOOTH flight that sets the standard but, of course in bright sunlight it is a challenge to see phone screen much of the time where SC screen is great.
I don't see the cards as being the issue. There is something going on with either environmental interference, hardware, software or firmware. It could even be things like antennae position.

1. Is all the software and firmware up to date on the drone and SC?
2. What position is your antennae in? Pointing it down so the flats face the drone is critical
3. See if you get different results with different frequency bands. In my area, 2.4 is noisy. I get better and smoother transmission if I'm 5.8.
4. Consider some inexpensive range boosters....like Yagi-udas. They are cheap and seem to be effective (5.8 only).

I've had mine for about a month+ and I usually get pretty smooth video. There are hiccups, but not that often. I agree about smooth video settings.

That’s extremely disappointing because the Air 2S is marketed as Occusync 3, and there is no disclaimer about the smart controller combo. If DJI follows through and makes customers “upgrade” to get the capability they originally claimed, it’s going to be a real problem.

The Smart Controller and the "standard" controller that comes with the Air 2S are both Occusync 2. So, that's why there is no disclaimer for the Smart Controller. In theory the range and communications between drone and controller is the same no matter the controller. That said, there are a number of reports that say the Smart Controller gets less range across the board (not just on the Air 2S). And others claim it is similar to a standard controller. IF there is an issue, this is not an O3 issue, but a Smart Controller range issue with 2 or 3.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000