DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller AWESOME!

I've got a crystal sky. Is the smart controller screen as good in terms of resolution and viewing in bright sun? Thanks
I do find some differences between Crystalsky monitor and SC. The screen on the crystalsky is more of a matte screen which reduces more glare and hides fingerprints better than the SC. I have to wipe down the SC screen at the start of each session and notice my reflection more on the SC. I think the Crystalsky can be configured better for very bright sun than the SC. Crystalsky mounts with the DJI collapsible hood screen gets me very good results with my crystalsky, but as mentioned the downsides (updates, bulk parts, setup time, etc.) still outnumber the upside benefits of the SC imho

Reactions: RogerMav
Hardware may be a big portion to it, otherwise all the Ocusyncs could be upgraded to V2.

The issue with upgrading is 5GHz band availability. In addition to a possible bandwidth change O2 simply introduced protocol enhancements and noise/interference detection on both 2.4 and 5 GHz channel spreads allowing switching among all possible frequencies. So all newer hardware supports both 2.4 and 5 GHz the rest is all done in software.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
You sure about that? Future Occusync versions (3 etc)? That's the one thing that held me back.
Mmmmm.... Not so sure about that, however, under consumer rights, DJI have already put this in as a sales pitch for the SC so I’m sure if it’s not held up then a lot of buyers WILL be eligible for a refund under false advertising & selling a product not capable of doing what it says it can do..

Mmmmm.... Not so sure about that, however, under consumer rights, DJI have already put this in as a sales pitch for the SC so I’m sure if it’s not held up then a lot of buyers WILL be eligible for a refund under false advertising & selling a product not capable of doing what it says it can do..

What specifically did they put in a sales pitch that would result in this? I don't see anything on the existing website product info, but do recall something about compatible with future drones - but as long as future drones use Occusync 2 that would be a valid claim....

Reactions: SteveLeBigMac
I have not seen anything from DJI either that explicitly guarantees the Smart Controller will be compatible with future, improved versions of Occusync 2.0. By the time Occusync 3.0 is around I highly suspect they will want to sell you a new Smart Controller as well, which would not be surprising and would be typical for the industry in general.

What specifically did they put in a sales pitch that would result in this? I don't see anything on the existing website product info, but do recall something about compatible with future drones - but as long as future drones use Occusync 2 that would be a valid claim....
I suppose your right, if they don’t make drones with Occusync 2 then we’re snookered. However DJI have never been known to let their customers down that badly..

I bought one a few weeks ago and it is brilliant! So much better than an iPhone or iPad. Very quick to start up and Go! Picture is bright and clear. Excellent purchase. One criticsm is that when I press the button to take an image it does not always take until I press quite hard. Any thoughts on that?

Yes! Actually that is a TWO POSITION SWITCH. Press it part way to focus, and the whole way to take the picture. It was meant to slowly press so that you first get FOCUS then when it's focused, press it the rest of the way to actually capture the image.

I have a question before I jump on the smart controller band wagon. How hard is it and how good is the connection binding to a iPhone out in the field? Bluetooth connect to the iPhone? My phone has no hotspot due to our contract has unlimited GB of internet. Part of the contract is no hotspot. So can I connect through Bluetooth? Also, does it lag if you go Facebook live? I want to be able to freely do what I did with the Mavic I used to own before I lost it in a river and am about to purchase a bundle with either the old controller or the new one. But using only wifi would suck because I like to hike and explore then fly. What do some of you feel like binding with a cellphone does for live recording and how do you link a cellphone with no hotspot? Or does that mean it’s not possible. Thanks guys!

Also; can a iPad be plugged into a smart controller still via USB port on top of the controller? Not sure why you would do that but would like to know.

Good for you. Was considering to buy it but after "reverse marketing" of standard controller I change my mind.

Standard Controler reverse marketing:

small portable you can fit in your pocket,
you are free to choose any device you want,
you can use diferent screen size and type,
you free to use any 3rd party software,
you can use diferent os sytems,
you have additional small display with basic patamiters built in.
no lags during recording
is cheaper!!

I don't want to put off anyone, just my 2cents.

It must be used with mavic2 but i want it for mavic air being much more compact with highdefinition, but dji mum disclosing whether mavic air hardware compliant with smartcontroller or not. Believe mavic air hardware may not be adequate regarding transmissivity pairing protocols

I think it is not currently compatible with Mavic air but from my research it may become compatible at a later date with a Mavic air when a particular update is provided.

I think it is not currently compatible with Mavic air but from my research it may become compatible at a later date with a Mavic air when a particular update is provided.

Claim posted interior elex foundation mavic air unsupportive ocusync proprietary longranged transmissivity

Does any body have any feedback from the smart controller?
I have been using mine for about two weeks and it has been awesome :)
Super quick startup, No more iPhone or iPad connection, no More lost sugnal connection, no more cables disconnecting in the middle of the flight and I was very careful with the firmware I downloaded and I’m really enjoying it and had a couple of bonus. For the first time ever I was at 1000 ft. Pretty sure I could go above that but that was good enough for me. I had A perfect view of all my surroundings and it was incredibly beautiful.
I know it is pretty expensive but it’s cheaper than the $1,200 I paid for my iPhone and is giving me greater satisfaction !
I've been using my Smart Controller for about 2 weeks, and can honestly say that it does make flying much easier, on my last flight with my Smart Controller, I left my iPhone at home for the first time ever while flying any of my Drones. Not having to tow along any Brackets, cables, or a phone is a big plus, I do have the Mavic 2 Fly More Combo, and placing the Drone and the Smart Controller in the Shoulder Bag was an easy fit, I could have added additional batteries but only used the battery on the Drone for the last flight. I can't imagine going back to the standard controller again unless I absolutely have to should my Smart Controller Malfunctions and needs replacement. The Smart Controller is expensive, but in my opinion, does make flying much more fun

Reactions: Buddy PR
Does any body have any feedback from the smart controller?
I have been using mine for about two weeks and it has been awesome :)
Super quick startup, No more iPhone or iPad connection, no More lost sugnal connection, no more cables disconnecting in the middle of the flight and I was very careful with the firmware I downloaded and I’m really enjoying it and had a couple of bonus. For the first time ever I was at 1000 ft. Pretty sure I could go above that but that was good enough for me. I had A perfect view of all my surroundings and it was incredibly beautiful.
I know it is pretty expensive but it’s cheaper than the $1,200 I paid for my iPhone and is giving me greater satisfaction !
I have the Mavic Pro and P4P+. I can get the P4P+, with the built in screen, up in half the time as the MP. Yeah, I think you made a good move. I'm planning to do the same and purchase the M2 with the Smart Controller.

Reactions: Buddy PR
I've been using my Smart Controller for about 2 weeks, and can honestly say that it does make flying much easier, on my last flight with my Smart Controller, I left my iPhone at home for the first time ever while flying any of my Drones. Not having to tow along any Brackets, cables, or a phone is a big plus, I do have the Mavic 2 Fly More Combo, and placing the Drone and the Smart Controller in the Shoulder Bag was an easy fit, I could have added additional batteries but only used the battery on the Drone for the last flight. I can't imagine going back to the standard controller again unless I absolutely have to should my Smart Controller Malfunctions and needs replacement. The Smart Controller is expensive, but in my opinion, does make flying much more fun

you make me jealous! i must arise before sunrise to preflight check performs hardware assemblage and readiness for flight. i currently am having a case used for housing that butane smaller cannister single burner portable camp out stove outfitted for total assemblage stow. it is stupidity disassemblage reassemblage four times in a day!

same can be said of the rc and samsung s8, assemblage disassemblage stupidity. but it will not be accommodated in the stove hardshell case. so i am still looking for one. there's one for joystick not removed from rc but that rc case disallows s8 intact with rc.

i agree with creator post that this fetish of collapsability aimed merely for novelty smallness boast is actually an invitation to loss of constituent parts and or user fumbling errors leading to breakdown wear tear even gross mishap

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_