DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller AWESOME!

No it’s not it’s hardware all the way if they change it to much then your going to by the smart controller 2!!

Of course there is a hardware difference between O1 and O2 - a rather basic one.

Maybe a bit of miscommunication: The hardware is basically off-the-shelf WiFi stuff. O2 hardware added the 5GHz part and extended the protocols (software) to deal with the more complex control protocols that aside from channel/band switching deal with multi partner handshakes (multiple controllers and goggles). So unless a different or additional WiFi band is added, enhancements will be essentially done in software and might be called O3 or whatever.

I guess we are both right and wrong...[emoji2]

Last edited:
No it’s not it’s hardware all the way if they change it to much then your going to by the smart controller 2!!

O1 was introduced with the M1 and shortly after the white Goggles came out - also O1. With the release of the M2 line (O2) a simple firmware upgrade made it possible to use the old O1 goggles with the O2 M2. The old goggles where upgraded to what might be called O2- or O1+ where the difference is simply the missing support for 5GHz.

so is consensus 2018's mavic air hardware will be superceded by mavic air 2 hardware but the original 2018 mavic air will entitle ocusync firmware upgrade however it will not compare to mavic air 2's hardware ocusync capabilities?

is it the fcc regulation that "does not" allow your hobby endeavor rc frequencies to be customized to any desired frequency band of operation so long as you do not infringe on others?

must rc hobbiest operate at stable frequencies? is it desireable to operate with variable frequencies? variable frequencies benefit from outsider caused interference and or monitoring, right? it must be more energy consuming and articulated hardware to accomplish changing frequencies on the fly and pairing it too successfully.

I would postulate that the narrow application of the Smart Controller for just M2 products (M2E still waiting for Pilot App) is simply a DJI Marketing decision. We have seen with both Goggle types (White/old goggles only 2.4GHz Occusync 1 and RE Goggles both 2.4 and 5.8 GHz Occusync 2) that they work just fine with the older Mavic Pro (Occusync 1, 2.4 GHz only). We also know that both goggle types work just fine with all of the M2 (Occusync 2) products where the older goggles simply restrict the M2 from using the 5.8 GHz band.

Looking at these facts it seems reasonable to assume that the Smart Controller COULD be told to accept and support the older Mavic Pro and/or any other Occusync 1 or 2 products. However, since the original Mavic Pro is end-of-life and the Pro Platinum is likely to follow soon it simply makes no sense as the Smart Controller from a marketing perspective is more of an "enhancement/feature" to the M2 series making it more attractive for M2 buyers. Along these lines of thought, it is not surprising to see that the Smart Controller is basically unavailable to purchase without M2 (at least for now). I don't believe this has much to do with volume, import/licensing or production issues.

Reactions: AMGKid
narrow application: m2 proprietary pairing sc
seems to me dji generically delivers e.g., djigo4 is analogous to apple's OSX and the hardware is uniquely different amongst apple computer models available, ditto, the various dji model drones utilize djigo4 apk

poster earlier mention all rc toy transmitter receiver align to standardized hardware and software industry agreement standardization. hard to believe dji drones utilize "toy" rating (100feet) versus mavic air 5000 yards

narrow application: m2 proprietary pairing sc
seems to me dji generically delivers e.g., djigo4 is analogous to apple's OSX and the hardware is uniquely different amongst apple computer models available, ditto, the various dji model drones utilize djigo4 apk

poster earlier mention all rc toy transmitter receiver align to standardized hardware and software industry agreement standardization. hard to believe dji drones utilize "toy" rating (100feet) versus mavic air 5000 yards

Oh -- for goodness sake -- please proofread your posts before inflicting them on thousands of readers ... if you really think they are worth reading.

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Oh -- for goodness sake -- please proofread your posts before inflicting them on thousands of readers ... if you really think they are worth reading.
are u really sensationalizing my post? 10^3?
no, i disagree to threadbare recital of ill worthiness

It seems like all of you are very happy with your Smart Controller. However, I just did a first flight of my Mav 2 Pro with the SC yesterday and was losing connectivity about 1000 feet out. Anyone of you experienced the same issue? Or maybe I got a defective unit?

I am flying in my neighborhood which may have quite a few 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Wifi network but would it matter?

are u really sensationalizing my post? 10^3?
no, i disagree to threadbare recital of ill worthiness

I have to agree with him, it sounds like you write your posts with a random word generator. No offense intended, but they are very hard to understand.

Reactions: mfc
And can config cage extents furthered!
So bold statement of confident leashing?
Just cautiously goaling that trial by trial

In attempt to shorten long explains. Without detach theme focus

Last edited:
I have to agree with him, it sounds like you write your posts with a random word generator. No offense intended, but they are very hard to understand.
More likely English as a second language, using Google translate or some such thing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147