DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller - just out of box, firmware will not update.

Doesn't it just do your bonse in. Spent time with support and really not much help. But eventually like you managed to get it done via assistant. Still it has added to my list of useless information and failed attempts :)

Just took delivery of my new Smart Controller (about 2 hrs ago). Connected to my wifi no problem and was alerted to new firmware update for the controller. Firmware downloaded just fine, but upgrade process is stuck at 0%. Waited 30 min. for any sign of the update progressing....but no change. Powered unit down and tried again. Same results. Performed a factory reset, same results. Tried to connect to the controller using DJI Assistant 2 on three different computers, none can see the controller.

Very disappointed. This is a brand new unit and will not update.

I have the exact same problem here! Downloads but won't update. Factory data reset doesn't help. The Smart Controller is not seen by the DJI Assistant 2. This is a supposedly brand new replacement for my first Smart Controller which froze during use and then became a useless brick. I've now wasted weeks on this mess, and am now told to return for another replacement.

Last edited:
It shows up Smart Controller when I plug it in using my MBPro...
What are you using, and what cord ?
You also have to remove the SD card.
Sorry if any of this is repeated , didn’t have a chance to read through the thread.

I think I found the problem with the DJI Assistant 2. I had googled for that, found it, downloaded and installed. But there is a special or new version for the Mavic available here, V2.07: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

With that version installed, my Smart Controller is recognized by the assistant, and I have started the download...

SUCCESS! In summary, make sure your assistant name is DJI Assistant 2 FOR MAVIC.

Last edited:
I think I found the problem with the DJI Assistant 2. I had googled for that, found it, downloaded and installed. But there is a special or new version for the Mavic available here, V2.07: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

With that version installed, my Smart Controller is recognized by the assistant, and I have started the download...

SUCCESS! In summary, make sure your assistant name is DJI Assistant 2 FOR MAVIC.
do you install it onto controller

I had a problem with registering and updateing with wifi at house after a week of trying I went to town to a friends house I was done in two minutes something wrong with Internet connection.
Verifacation Code showed up right away also.

Reactions: ff22
I upgraded/traded my m2 standard controller for a Smart Controller. After installing the latest version of Assistant2 on PC, I had no issue upgrading software on the SC. I then sync’d the SC to my m2z. I’m becoming a SC fan very quickly.

I don't know if this is the way it is or am I missing something with zooming in, as far as I know I am zoomed in al the way but yesterday I flew about a km away from house to check on some barbecuers and seemed I was along way off yet but later I was told I was practically in their faces can someone help with zoom?
Thanks

Last edited:
I don't know if this is the way it is or am I missing something with zooming in, as far as I know I am zoomed in al the way but yesterday I flew about a km away from house to check on some barbecuers and seemed I was along way off yet but later I was told I was practically in their faces can someone help with zoom?
Thanks
You might get more answers in one of the other Mavic2 subforums. There are Zoom, Help and general discussion forums.

But my initial suggestion would be to test the zoom "power" closer to where you can see how close you are to something and how zoomed in you seem to be when looking at the screen.

You might get more answers in one of the other Mavic2 subforums. There are Zoom, Help and general discussion forums.

But my initial suggestion would be to test the zoom "power" closer to where you can see how close you are to something and how zoomed in you seem to be when looking at the screen.
I don't seem zoomed in....what is this dolly zoom?

I don't seem zoomed in....what is this dolly zoom?

First, remember to always remove the camera/gimbal guard when you power on the Drone. With power on, the drone moves and tests gimbal movements and you don't want the guard fighting the motors.

You can test the Zoom function in your home. For safety, remove the props and then play with the camera functions - zoom in/out and if you drag your finger across the screen, left right (and I believe up/down). Zoom does not kick in IMMEDIATELY so roll the wheel and it might take a bit. And then sometimes when it does, it might zoom too quickly.

Dolly zoom is intended to induce vertigo or motion sickness! (g). I've not tried it actually, but I THINK the drone flies backward while zooming the camera in.

ff22 has it right. The bird flies backwards while keeping the subject focused and zooming in to keep it the same size in the frame.

The background behind the main subject, however, dramatically increases in size - that’s the Dolly Zoom. Vertigo inducing, I would recommend using it very sparingly. Too much use turns the viewer off.

As Tom Sellack said about a Colt handgun in Quigly Down Under, “Well sir. Never had much use for one.”

Which is one reason why I went for the Pro over the Zoom. But each to their own.
NB

I have the exact same problem here! Downloads but won't update. Factory data reset doesn't help. The Smart Controller is not seen by the DJI Assistant 2. This is a supposedly brand new replacement for my first Smart Controller which froze during use and then became a useless brick. I've now wasted weeks on this mess, and am now told to return for another replacement.
I just bought a mavic with smart controller, my brother told me not to do any updates drone works fine

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123