DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller & Maps ?

harleymhs

Reactions
Hey Guys, thinking about picking up the Smart Controller for my MP2 ... Being there is no cellular on the controller how do you get the maps on the controller ? Do you have to download each time you pick an area to fly? If so that may be not worth it... Any thoughts please... Thank you!

i simply use my phone as a wifi hotspot when it is needed, as for my other copters i use a notebook. i would think it should work for the new controller the same way, if it will not - it is an issue. but i would not think it would not work.

I thought so.... So YOU still NEED your phone with you if you want MAPS live... Ugh ... No getting rid of the cell phone and flying ..

Hey Guys, thinking about picking up the Smart Controller for my MP2 ... Being there is no cellular on the controller how do you get the maps on the controller ? Do you have to download each time you pick an area to fly? If so that may be not worth it... Any thoughts please... Thank you!

I don't know about the new Smart Controller yet but currently you can cache maps in advance using wifi. You can use wifi at home or wherever or as mentioned using a phone as a wifi hotspot in the field. While on wifi, you can scroll around and grab maps for various areas. I recently did it for a section of the Oregon I may be heading down to. You can save the maps and give them names. Now I don't know if they will automatically load if you get to those "remote' areas or if you have to take some affirmative steps to use them.

If the SRC is connected to a mobile hotspot then the maps will download live. If you don’t want to hotspot to a mobile and you don’t have WiFi where you are flying you can download offline maps of the area you are going to be flying. GPS provides coordinates to the controller, it just resolves them to your map, GPS has no mapping ability that’s all down to the device receiving the GPS sentences.

Reactions: RogerMav and ff22
Surely not? Buy a £600 controller and still need your phone connection to get live GPS? Im sure someone will be along soon to clarify.

The controller has a GPS receiver but you need maps installed to resolve the data to a map.

So how do you pre download not in my immediate maps, using wifi at home, to the smart controller ?

When the app first starts up, after the horseman, or somewhere in that process, before you "fly" there's a three-bar (hamburger) menu in the upper right. Tap that and you can download maps offline. There's a rectangle you can slide around to frame the area (not very large, frankly) and you can name it, too. You can zoom in/out the overall map so you can quickly move across country or oceans (g). But the download segment appears constant.

edited to add: Just in case - you can use the wifi in your home or office or some other place. Out in the field, if you can set up a wifi hotspot you could use your phone or tablet. But for offline downloading any wifi should work and you can then use it later in the boonies!

Last edited:
Reactions: Oneball 1971
I thought so.... So YOU still NEED your phone with you if you want MAPS live... Ugh ... No getting rid of the cell phone and flying ..

Doesn’t have to be your phone, any WiFi will do. I use the WiFi that is in my car, or carry along a hotspot if I am away from my car. The SC will remember any number of WiFi networks.

Reactions: ff22
I have downloaded some maps via WiFi, but how do you get the controller to use them in the field? I was left with a blank black screen. Android is so difficult compared to Apple - can anyone help?

i don't considering turning on the hotspot on my iPhone and putting it in my pocket the same level of "need" as connecting my iPhone with fiddly cables and clamps to the stock remote and then attempting to see the screen in bright sunlight as it grows ever dimmer as the phone overheats.

How does one access the list of stored/named maps? Can't seem to figure that out. I realize the smart controller will use the correct map based on GPS coordinates, but how can I review the maps I have stored to remind myself which ones I have?

How does one access the list of stored/named maps? Can't seem to figure that out. I realize the smart controller will use the correct map based on GPS coordinates, but how can I review the maps I have stored to remind myself which ones I have?

When the Go4 app first opens or what you say FLY, there's the Menu in the upper right. Tap to get to download maps but once there you can also review the ones in your device. Controller is elsewhere at the moment.

When the Go4 app first opens or what you say FLY, there's the Menu in the upper right. Tap to get to download maps but once there you can also review the ones in your device. Controller is elsewhere at the moment.

OK, I figured it out from your suggestion.

Actually, after opening up the Go4 app, I selected the little "hamburger" on the upper right.

From there, select "Offline map". Then on the next screen, touch the icon in the upper right which looks like a pencil writing on a map. Then you can see the list of offline maps downloaded.

FYI, as a bonus, I discovered once you're looking at the list of offline maps, touch and hold one and the "Delete" and "Rename" options will appear!

I have downloaded some maps via WiFi, but how do you get the controller to use them in the field? I was left with a blank black screen. Android is so difficult compared to Apple - can anyone help?

This has absolutely nothing to do with Android and Apple, just so you're aware :) Once you're in the Go4 app it's all DJI.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13