DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller review

How long was your “short delay in customs?” My SC - ordered from DJI - has had this same status since Saturday night (4 days ago): “Clearance Delay - Import: Anchorage, AK.”

One business day. I was supposed to receive on a Friday, did not arrive until Monday. I did open a support case on the hung shipment (mine was in Memphis), but I don't know that was impactful. I received an email apologizing for the delay, but apparently the issue had already been cleared.

SD card support seems to be broken now in new firmware - looks like it is the last bug left, all the rest works fine on last .350 code.

Not quite the last bug left...for me anyway.

Mine still refuses to update the aircraft from .0200 claiming it’s not connected!

Also it won’t let me Live Stream to Youtube as it claims I am not logged in despite when I logon to YouTube or Google using the built-in Lightning web browser showing me as connected.

-=Glyn=-

Last edited:
I guess I am gullible, oh I purchased 2 gullible units :p
Moi, je suis un beta tester pour le gullible products, so I am going to eat my hat.

Lighten up folks life is good ;)

I'm super happy, myself. Besides, I didn't start it. I replied to a totally different guy and this fella stepped in. Oh well who cares? "While the meek wring their hands in consternation, the brave enjoy the fruits of their labor without worry or regret." Lon Denard 30JAN19

Not quite the last bug left...for me anyway.

Mine still refuses to update the aircraft from .0200 claiming it’s not connected!

Also it won’t let me Live Stream to Youtube as it claims I am not logged in despite when I logon to YouTube or Google using the built-in Lightning web browser showing me as connected.

-=Glyn=-

That's not a problem with the Smart Controller. I'd use DJI Assistant if I were you. The aircraft seems to update better that way. Besides, it's usually faster.

You DIDN'T quote my post - you quoted ONE word (gullible) from my post and it wasn't even in the correct context. You've totally lost the plot mate !

1. I replied to another member, in a so called incoherent rant using the word gullible. No reference to you was made.
2. You replied to me, accusing me of insulting most of the forum.
3. I replied to your reply that it was you that referred to us as "gullible" and "beta testers" which to me was an actual insult to everyone that purchases DJI products. I copied and pasted your exact statement.
4. You replied by copy, italisizing and pasting the exact same comment that I did and claiming that I took you out of context.
5. Now you've resorted to insults.

What I said, and stand by, is that some of the same people that accuse DJI of rushing product to market, are the same people that have accused them of withholding product advancements for nefarious reasons as well.

Can I get a referee? Thunderdrones? Hahaha!

Reactions: Superdaddy
1. I replied to another member, in a so called incoherent rant using the word gullible. No reference to you was made.
3. I replied to your reply that it was you that referred to us as "gullible" and "beta testers" which to me was an actual insult to everyone that purchases DJI products. I copied and pasted your exact statement.
4. You replied by copy, italisizing and pasting the exact same comment that I did and claiming that I took you out of context.

What I said, and stand by, is that some of the same people that accuse DJI of rushing product to market, are the same people that have accused them of withholding product advancements for nefarious reasons as well.

"Whistle" Unsportsmanlike conduct and roughing the poster, 15 yard penalty, automatic first down, ball on the 1 yard line.

Last edited:

Yeah, but you really need to understand what happens in the real world. Most of the big consumer tech companies like Apple, Microsoft, SAP, Oracle, IBM etc knowingly use their customer base as a free Beta Testing resource. To that end those customers who play that game by identifying and reporting bugs are gullible but it's certainly not something to be ashamed of.

Unlike with your post, there is no way that any reasonable person could infer that I was insulting anyone by describing them as "gullible", especially in the context that my statement was made. I am more than happy to admit that I am gullible because I devote a significant amount of my time to testing Enterprise software applications and documenting/reporting associated issues.

Reactions: Former Member
Yeah, but you really need to understand what happens in the real world. Most of the big consumer tech companies like Apple, Microsoft, SAP, Oracle, IBM etc knowingly use their customer base as a free Beta Testing resource. To that end those customers who play that game by identifying and reporting bugs are gullible but it's certainly not something to be ashamed of.

Unlike with your post, there is no way that any reasonable person could infer that I was insulting anyone by describing them as "gullible", especially in the context that my statement was made. I am more than happy to admit that I am gullible because I devote a significant amount of my time to testing Enterprise software applications and documenting/reporting associated issues.

gul·li·ble
/ˈɡələb(ə)l/
adjective
  1. easily persuaded to believe something; credulous.
    "an attempt to persuade a gullible public to spend their money"
    synonyms:credulous, over-trusting, over-trustful, trustful, easily deceived/led, easily taken in, exploitable, dupable, deceivable, impressionable, unsuspecting, unsuspicious, unwary, unguarded, unsceptical, ingenuous, naive, innocent, simple, inexperienced, unworldly, green, as green as grass, childlike, ignorant;
    foolish, silly;
    informalwet behind the ears,born yesterday
    "the swindler preyed upon gullible old women"

Okay...so what did I say exactly that was insulting to most of the contributors to this forum?

You know what? Nevermind, when I say I'm done, I actually mean it.

I'm done.

Last edited:
That's not a problem with the Smart Controller. I'd use DJI Assistant if I were you. The aircraft seems to update better that way. Besides, it's usually faster.

Thanks for the reply but I’m curious as to why you think it’s not a problem with the SRC?

I have been in contact with DJI who are going to RMA it but I realise that’s no guarantee that it is faulty!

It’s more than likely to be the SRC or interaction between the SRC and DJI servers than anything else IMHO.

I mean every time I run DJI Go 4 it checks, compares and advises a firmware upgrade is needed but when I go to upgrade it throws an error about a connection problem.

I would have tried DJI Assistant but for the fact that I just paid a little over £2200 for the Mavic 2 Pro with SRC, Fly More Kit and Care Refresh and well...it really should work properly.

Besides if I use Assistant I might never know the issues have been fixed! :)

-=Glyn=-

Guys the rest of don’t care, chill help the new guys and move on.

So have zero fun? Spend your days surfing the forum looking for little lost bunnies that can't figure out how to update their drones even though there's dozens of threads on it? Yay! Hahaha! You guys should lighten up!

Thanks for the reply but I’m curious as to why you think it’s not a problem with the SRC?

I have been in contact with DJI who are going to RMA it but I realise that’s no guarantee that it is faulty!

It’s more than likely to be the SRC or interaction between the SRC and DJI servers than anything else IMHO.

I mean every time I run DJI Go 4 it checks, compares and advises a firmware upgrade is needed but when I go to upgrade it throws an error about a connection problem.

I would have tried DJI Assistant but for the fact that I just paid a little over £2200 for the Mavic 2 Pro with SRC, Fly More Kit and Care Refresh and well...it really should work properly.

Besides if I use Assistant I might never know the issues have been fixed! :)

-=Glyn=-

Speak of the devil... It's an issue with the drone. I've never been able to update using the Crystalsky on Wi-Fi either. I've actually never tried it using a phone BUT a phone would go to mobile data.

Hey somebody that cares, turn off mobile data on your phone and try to update a Mavic 2 and let us know if it works.

One business day. I was supposed to receive on a Friday, did not arrive until Monday. I did open a support case on the hung shipment (mine was in Memphis), but I don't know that was impactful. I received an email apologizing for the delay, but apparently the issue had already been cleared.

Looks like even though it appeared to sit in Anchorage, AK, for a long time... mine also will only have one business day delay. Supposed to arrive today, but will arrive tomorrow.

It’s not the drone...it’s an issue with your Crystal Sky! :)

Regards,
-=Glyn=-

Maybe but since I've had two 5.5s and also have a 7.85...plus it's a common complaint. Like I said, in my experience, even before I had the CS, it's best to use DJI Assistant.

How long was your “short delay in customs?” My SC - ordered from DJI - has had this same status since Saturday night (4 days ago): “Clearance Delay - Import: Anchorage, AK.”

Mine was also on delay in customs since Saturday and it just switched to"in transit" today. All in all, it will be two days late from their original estimated arrival date.

Mine finally arrived after 3 days in customs. Charged and did all my updating, two firmware updates or the remote to get to current version. Linked and took first flight and all I gotta say is yikes, here goes, this is with a mavic zoom:

Lots of signal loss errors right off the bat, some stick commands were not registering and it started doing it just feet in front on me seconds into flight, doing a pirouette and just stops half way through but im full on stick; antennas in proper position. Did a reboot, all was fine for a couple minutes, noticed it then started to lag tremendously on input commands, so much so it became unflyable. Landed, rebooted, all good again for a few minutes. Signal loss was happening every few minutes lasting a couple seconds as well as obstacle avoidance errors and "sport mode" on screen ;as if I kept changing the modes; then the controller started beeping constantly as if an obstacle, landed and rebooted, all was fine again for a bit but i kept getting signal loss errors and mode engagement warnings when i was not changing modes, not related to distance, was getting good signal more than a mile away at times when it just suddenly looses it for a few seconds so I came in to land and then the commands started giving huge delays again as I got close to myself, then the bird came to a full stop then just flew full speed straight ahead into a bush with me giving absolutely no input commands and obstacle avoidance turned on, im assuming it could of been a delayed lagged out command from a few seconds earlier when it fist started lagging. Birds OK, got the refresh plan, but I just dont think I want to risk using this controller again, this thing has got some serious issues and they dont seem to be entirely android or app related.

Last edited:
Reactions: drakkor and BD0G
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure