DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller review

Richmadonna

Reactions
After a short delay in customs, the smart controller arrived today. DJI has once again done their best to replicate apple style packaging. Very minimalistic, controller, charger, usb cable and a small manual. I turned it on and it was straight forward to link and set up. That took five minutes. The next step took an hour plus. After linking to the mavic pro 2 i was alerted that the mavic firmware needed to be updated but it kept crashing and wouldn’t install. I read online that using the dji assistant was required and I had to plug the mavic into my laptop. That too failed but then it magically installed, at least an hour of this. I took it out for the usual flight in the yard and it was so nice not to have to lug the iPad, holder, cables and remote out! I did find the screen to be bright and sufficient and I didn’t miss the iPad. It all just worked !!!

Later I went out to a salt marsh to catch some sunsets and with the drone only 200 feet away I started to encounter lost signal issues. At least 4-5 times on one flight it occurred as I tried to bring the drone back. This worries me and I’ll update you tomorrow.

It does fit nicely in the fly more bag which is a plus, no longer do I need to bring a big bag!!
df823a8291f86d2d515cc10311d94bb8.jpg
8203cab70a0ca36f77215d251b60e754.jpg

84eba99cb41878c49076aecc220fb4a2.jpg

Great review. It looks like it fits nicely into your OEM case?

Its a good thing that you first had the Mavic 2 and flew it, so you knew that it wasnt your Mavic asking for all the updates by itself. I cant imagine a person, especially a new drone owner, who buys the bundle with Smart Controller and Mavic 2 together, then has to do what you did. Might take them days to get it going. Ah, I remember when I first got my Spark, and tried to connect it to the controller the first time...

After a short delay in customs, the smart controller arrived today. DJI has once again done their best to replicate apple style packaging. Very minimalistic, controller, charger, usb cable and a small manual. I turned it on and it was straight forward to link and set up. That took five minutes. The next step took an hour plus. After linking to the mavic pro 2 i was alerted that the mavic firmware needed to be updated but it kept crashing and wouldn’t install. I read online that using the dji assistant was required and I had to plug the mavic into my laptop. That too failed but then it magically installed, at least an hour of this. I took it out for the usual flight in the yard and it was so nice not to have to lug the iPad, holder, cables and remote out! I did find the screen to be bright and sufficient and I didn’t miss the iPad. It all just worked !!!

Later I went out to a salt marsh to catch some sunsets and with the drone only 200 feet away I started to encounter lost signal issues. At least 4-5 times on one flight it occurred as I tried to bring the drone back. This worries me and I’ll update you tomorrow.

It does fit nicely in the fly more bag which is a plus, no longer do I need to bring a big bag!!

Oh, the LOST SIGNAL issue does not sound good. Hopefully, you find it working better tomorrow. Thanks for the review.

Keep us posted. This is important to understand that the new Smart Controller may not provide the same level of connectivity as using an iOS or Android Device with the standard remote controller.

A compact smart controller that has a sunlight readable display is useless if it is plagues with constant and repeatable signal disconnects.

Keep us posted. This is important to understand that the new Smart Controller may not provide the same level of connectivity as using an iOS or Android Device with the standard remote controller.

A compact smart controller that has a sunlight readable display is useless if it is plagues with constant and repeatable signal disconnects.

Im getting that "Beta Tester" feeling again.

df823a8291f86d2d515cc10311d94bb8.jpg
8203cab70a0ca36f77215d251b60e754.jpg

84eba99cb41878c49076aecc220fb4a2.jpg

Great review.
Now I am worried about the loss of signal too. Please keep the updates coming.

Probably a very wise move. I think the signal loss issue may have been due to the firmware update. Best to re-run these updates if you are getting issues.
I flew my m2p using old controller on new .300 firmware 500m away with no issues. Should get new controller in 2 days and will retry.

Reactions: bonzo
Okay, no offense but do you by chance have the antenna sticking straight out instead of down at a 90 degree angle?

I was just about to suggest the same thing. My first flight with the SRC I thought there was a range issue, putting the antennas in the ‘down’ position resolved the issue.

I am in the UK so have the CE power output, which is less than the FCC regions. I don’t fly often out of site, rules are VLOS here.

I have access to 100 acres of uninhabited private land so I can test limits without risking people or property. I flew 2km out with no issues with the antennas correctly adjusted. No real difference than the standard set up infact.

To determine if you have a problem or just a perceived one, you need to fly the same aircraft in the same environment using the same parameters, using each controller and do a proper repeatable test.

If I get some time this week I will give it a go, not a top priority for me as it already performs to my expectations, watch this space.

This area has no cellphone masts or other form of transmitter nearby so these are the ideal conditions. Out here I get 700mtrs+ with a Spark!

Environmental conditions have an effect on the technology used, even Ocusync 2 is sharing an already crowded band spectrum.

Your first picture says it all. DJI should use that picture as their promotional pitch.

Glad to finally learn the SC fit's in the bag. I asked that question at least a half dozen times, and had yet to get an answer. And, best of all, you can leave the sticks in/on. IMO, having to take them off is a step backward in terms of convenience.

I won't be able to upgrade to any drone occu 2.0 for a year or so, but when I do I will be getting the SC for the convenience. Ideally, DJI will produce a 2000 nit version by then.

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidNDC
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boatdoc