DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller review

Mine finally arrived after 3 days in customs. Charged and did all my updating, two firmware updates or the remote to get to current version. Linked and took first flight and all I gotta say is yikes, here goes, this is with a mavic zoom:

Lots of signal loss errors right off the bat, some stick commands were not registering and it started doing it just feet in front on me seconds into flight, doing a pirouette and just stops half way through but im full on stick; antennas in proper position. Did a reboot, all was fine for a couple minutes, noticed it then started to lag tremendously on input commands, so much so it became unflyable. Landed, rebooted, all good again for a few minutes. Signal loss was happening every few minutes lasting a couple seconds as well as obstacle avoidance errors then the controller started beeping constantly, rebooted, all was fine again for a bit but i kept getting signal loss errors, not related to distance, was getting good signal more than a mile away at times when it just suddenly looses it for a few seconds so I came in to land and then the commands started giving huge delays again as I got close to myself, then the bird came to a full stop then just flew full speed straight ahead into a bush with me giving absolutely no input commands and obstacle avoidance turned on, im assuming it could of been a delayed lagged out command from a few seconds earlier. Birds OK, got the refresh plan, but I just dont think I want to risk using this controller again, this thing has got some serious issues and they dont seem to be android or app related.

If I was a member of the Early Adopters club I would say "Welcome" to you. Hoping DJI can iron out the bugs ASAP.

Reactions: Former Member
Mine finally arrived after 3 days in customs. Charged and did all my updating, two firmware updates or the remote to get to current version. Linked and took first flight and all I gotta say is yikes, here goes, this is with a mavic zoom:

Lots of signal loss errors right off the bat, some stick commands were not registering and it started doing it just feet in front on me seconds into flight, doing a pirouette and just stops half way through but im full on stick; antennas in proper position. Did a reboot, all was fine for a couple minutes, noticed it then started to lag tremendously on input commands, so much so it became unflyable. Landed, rebooted, all good again for a few minutes. Signal loss was happening every few minutes lasting a couple seconds as well as obstacle avoidance errors and "sport mode" on screen ;as if I kept changing the modes; then the controller started beeping constantly as if an obstacle, landed and rebooted, all was fine again for a bit but i kept getting signal loss errors and mode engagement warnings when i was not changing modes, not related to distance, was getting good signal more than a mile away at times when it just suddenly looses it for a few seconds so I came in to land and then the commands started giving huge delays again as I got close to myself, then the bird came to a full stop then just flew full speed straight ahead into a bush with me giving absolutely no input commands and obstacle avoidance turned on, im assuming it could of been a delayed lagged out command from a few seconds earlier when it fist started lagging. Birds OK, got the refresh plan, but I just dont think I want to risk using this controller again, this thing has got some serious issues and they dont seem to be entirely android or app related.

I've read on the DJI forum that doing a complete factory reset and then redoing the updates fixed connection problems for some people. You might want to give that a shot. I think RESET is in the main settings menu.

I've read on the DJI forum that doing a complete factory reset and then redoing the updates fixed connection problems for some people. You might want to give that a shot. I think RESET is in the main settings menu.

So i did the factory reset, seemed to greatly improve the connection issues but I still had some wonky control input issues so I used the stick calibration tool from the android pull down menu, not the one in the DJI go app and it seems to have fixed it but I need to take a few more flights to be sure.

Reactions: ff22
So i did the factory reset, seemed to greatly improve the connection issues but I still had some wonky control input issues so I used the stick calibration tool from the android pull down menu, not the one in the DJI go app and it seems to have fixed it but I need to take a few more flights to be sure.

Unfortunately, I've been busy and now the weather has not cooperated so I've only flown once and it seems okay for the twenty or so minutes that I had it up. But there was no distance involved as it was solely over my backyard. But, at least, a neighbor now knows I have it and did not seemed concerned.

But inside testing has shown I can't connect it to my computer (win7) and see any internal files. The newest 360 update has not changed that from what I've seen in a brief review.

I went through the same thing with customs and the intermediate loss of signal on the first flight. But I believe here's why. I opened and charged right away. Right after the firmware update I paired it with my Pro and took off. That happened and I got scared sh....... I powered it all down and restarted. Once restarting it went into more updating firmware. After that I've had no more issues. Just to test it I flew as far as VSOL just to be sure and all good. I hope you have the same experience. I'm very happy I bought this remote. It's insane!

Reactions: jsinon
The firmware gets interrupted by the ocusync 2 signal during loading. Just log out of your DJI account a couple of times during the first 24 hours you are updating And tuning. It will patch in the missing FW Modules.
Be patient.

Reactions: Bob_Fiore
I have to throw in my 2 cents just in case DJI is taking notes; When I first saw this product advertised, I was immediately interested. However, the cost didn't seem to be in line with the value added to the equipment I use on a regular basis. I am a DJI user for many years since the DJI F550 through two Phantoms and three Mavics, now Mavic 2 Pro. Although I would love to have the consolidated radio to eliminate the clutter and my iPhone in the loop, I will continue the very slight inconvenience of my current stock configuration UNTIL TWO THINGS OCCUR. 1. Even though I am willing to pay the $600+, I don't see the value added. Thus, please LOWER THE PRICE and I'm in. 2. Show me some proof that the antenna setup is more effective than the current stock radio. Therefore, INCREASE DISTANCE and/or SIGNAL STRENGTH and I'm in. In closing, I am VERY PLEASED with the current stock radio. For that reason, I have no need for this product. Lastly, please pardon the ALL CAPS. No rudeness intended. It is my way of summarizing.

I have a Smart Controller and didn't have any issues in updating the firmware. I took my Mavic 2 Pro out for a flight using the new controller and didn't have any issues. I was flying in the American River Canyon and had the drone about 1/2 mile away with no problems. I was in control of the drone at all times. I purchased the Smart Controller because of the screen as I'm 65 and my eyes site just isn't as good as it use to be. It's sad to here of all the problems. So far I haven't had any. Knock on wood!!

Just to let you know I have had the smart remote for a few weeks now and have had no issues with connectivity flying the drone quite a distance away but just still in line of site I have had other minor issues like I can’t edit videos through the smart controller as it tells me they are in the wrong format!!!! But get round that by gosharing to my iPhone and doing edits there expensive but screen great when flying and no leads it also literally takes seconds go somewhere set up and fly. Good luck

I ordered the SRC on 24-Jan and received it on 29-Jan. FedEx tried to deliver on the 28th but I was not home at the time. No glitches in shipping from China and pretty amazing that it arrived so quickly. No problem using Wifi to upgrade firmware (which included Waypoints). Initial problem with SD card not being visible after reboot but this was fixed in most recent f/w. Love the bright and clear display. Seems a little more responsive than stock. I think my range is about the same as stock. No connection dropouts. Nothing funky at all. It just works.

That said, my issues, none of which are showstoppers, are as follows:
1. Screen is missing the attitude gauge. It was a big help to determine wind impact on drone. Also helped me fine tune how to orient my antennas for best signal.
2. Missing google play. Of course I can sideload apk files but most apps won't work without google services installed on the device. Google play installs but won't run at all. I only want a couple of apps on the device but they won't run without google services.
3. I'd love to be able to adjust the volume of all the beeps but I don't think it is possible. Also, can't turn off RTH beep. On stock controller, I hit the power button and it quiets down but not on the SRC.
4. Stick geometry is different than stock. I just need to get used to them as they respond a little differently (maybe I had modified my stock RC sensitivity, don't recall.)
5. Roller wheels (gimbal, aperture) seem to over-snap somehow. For example, going from one f stop to the next, it snaps back and ends up returning to the original f stop. Make sense? I calibrated the roller wheels but it didn't help.
6. Waypoints not as easy to manage or as powerful as Litchi's (not a fault of the SRC, but of Go 4) I'd like to see Waypoints with editable lat/long coordinates and configurable arc curves as well. Also want more than one action at a Waypoint. Maybe I'm asking too much here.
7. The price. It didn't stop me buying it but it is a bit steep.

I don't consider this a beta product. It has worked extremely well for me and my M2P. In fact, I'd say it is an extremely mature product for a version 1.0 release. DJI has responded very quickly to turning out firmware releases too. The form factor and weight balance fit my hands nicely and it is far more comfortable than the stock controller with iPad Mini4 or a phone either in the grips or in a mount above the controller. The screen clarity and brightness is amazing. And I was able to lighten my pack of my iPad, cables, mounts, sunshade, etc... Lastly, getting the aircraft up and into the air takes far less time now. No more fiddling with the iPad (hoping it is charged), cables, sun hood, mounting bracket.

Bottom like, I'm glad I bought it. Just my two cents.

I find you just have to be aware of how the drone reacts best to the antennae position depending on where it is. Having it down seems to be the best for me in most situations but for some overhead flying the up (straight out) position is the winner. Doesn't take long to become aware of making adjustments and do it automatically. It's just the flick of a finger.

Reactions: tvb
Lon Denard. No disrespect is meant by this comment, you bring a lot of great view point to attention. There was one rant on page 2 that you should of finished with “screw you guys I’m taking my ball and going home”. Again I enjoy your views and have learned so much from these forums, thanks for your time in here

Finally got a break in the weather yesterday. Took the controller and Mavic out. Not a single issue with signal. Screen is nice and bright and the controller is more comfortable in my hand than the original controller. I love just taking the controller and mavic out and go fly. No more setup with phone or CS monitor. Let's just hope that DJI continues to support this controller. They have a history of abandoning old technology fairly quickly.

I ordered the SRC on 24-Jan and received it on 29-Jan. FedEx tried to deliver on the 28th but I was not home at the time. No glitches in shipping from China and pretty amazing that it arrived so quickly. No problem using Wifi to upgrade firmware (which included Waypoints). Initial problem with SD card not being visible after reboot but this was fixed in most recent f/w. Love the bright and clear display. Seems a little more responsive than stock. I think my range is about the same as stock. No connection dropouts. Nothing funky at all. It just works.

That said, my issues, none of which are showstoppers, are as follows:
1. Screen is missing the attitude gauge. It was a big help to determine wind impact on drone. Also helped me fine tune how to orient my antennas for best signal.
2. Missing google play. Of course I can sideload apk files but most apps won't work without google services installed on the device. Google play installs but won't run at all. I only want a couple of apps on the device but they won't run without google services.
3. I'd love to be able to adjust the volume of all the beeps but I don't think it is possible. Also, can't turn off RTH beep. On stock controller, I hit the power button and it quiets down but not on the SRC.
4. Stick geometry is different than stock. I just need to get used to them as they respond a little differently (maybe I had modified my stock RC sensitivity, don't recall.)
5. Roller wheels (gimbal, aperture) seem to over-snap somehow. For example, going from one f stop to the next, it snaps back and ends up returning to the original f stop. Make sense? I calibrated the roller wheels but it didn't help.
6. Waypoints not as easy to manage or as powerful as Litchi's (not a fault of the SRC, but of Go 4) I'd like to see Waypoints with editable lat/long coordinates and configurable arc curves as well. Also want more than one action at a Waypoint. Maybe I'm asking too much here.
7. The price. It didn't stop me buying it but it is a bit steep.

According to the manual, you can turn the beeps down or off. (While, I presume, it still vibrates on "alert".)

From the manual under Smart Controller Warning Sounds, "To disable the beeping, select "Sound" in settings, and turn off "Notification volume".

Reactions: ff22
According to the manual, you can turn the beeps down or off. (While, I presume, it still vibrates on "alert".)

From the manual under Smart Controller Warning Sounds, "To disable the beeping, select "Sound" in settings, and turn off "Notification volume".

Yep, I read that just today also. Thanks for that info! I usually read manuals closer than that! Indeed, it does silence the obstacle beeps and the voice. RTH beeps are not affected though. I like RTH for the convenience and it helps some places I fly. Occasionally i'll bring it in myself but usually, I just let the drone fly me home.

Can you disable the return to home beeping by pressing the power button once like you can on the original RC?

Oh, the LOST SIGNAL issue does not sound good. Hopefully, you find it working better tomorrow. Thanks for the review.
One thing I noticed as well as it just isnt bright enough to not see your faces reflection in the screen, just like the crystal sky. Its good, but the best and most ergonomic setup is still a full hood that creates a dark room environment.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54