DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart controller screen goes b/w

Simone L

Reactions
I have read of this happening. Second flight this morning my smart controller screen on Mavic 2 Pro went black and white. Got the message connection was lost to drone. Then asked if I wanted to activate RH. Which I did.
Drone performed flawlessly and sat itself down exactly on the landing pad.

But it was scary. I have read of this issue on the forum but what’s the fix?

just updated the firmware on the controller. Now this happened.

what gives with this glitch and why isn’t DJI addressing it if several folks have the issue?

I had just completed a Firmware update. After the glitch I allowed it to check. The message was : inconsistent firmware and it updated again. Fingers crossed it worked.

Last edited:
Good morning Simon L,
I also have a SC, but I’ve never had the disconnect problem that you described. Please post your results by doing the firmware update, I’m interested to hear the outcome.
Blue Skies from Idaho

Reactions: Simone L
I did the update, turned drone and controller off. Turned both on again. Everything appeared okay. Will see what happens with the next flight. I also let DJI know of this issue.

I don't know about the BW issue, not having the SC, but as to your fright: remember that your aircraft will automatically RTH after disconnection from any controller.

Thanks for the reminder. As a relatively new pilot it’s good to be reminded. And it landed perfectly. I was quite impressed.

Simone I've had that problem for a while but only at system start - never in the air. I cycle the SC and that clears it. I've seen on a few threads others with the same problem but nobody had come with a complete fix. I was hoping this latest update might ...

from what I know it will go black and white if the video link drops but can still have remote to drone connection, as for the inconsistent firmware, that's normally down to battery firmware needing to be updated after an update

Yes black-and-white means the video feed was lost. It’s a known issue with smart controller supposedly if you turn the drone on first it doesn’t happen but I haven’t really tested that.

Reactions: TampaTC
Yes black-and-white means the video feed was lost. It’s a known issue with smart controller supposedly if you turn the drone on first it doesn’t happen but I haven’t really tested that.
It wasn’t just the video feed lost. The message said lost connection with drone do you want to initiate RH sequence. So is it the same issue ?
And I thought it very weird that the controller said it lost connection but with the RH question I responded by moving a slider to affirm RH command. Isn’t that bizarre? If it’s not connected how could the controller tell it to return?

Reactions: ff22
It wasn’t just the video feed lost. The message said lost connection with drone do you want to initiate RH sequence. So is it the same issue ?
And I thought it very weird that the controller said it lost connection but with the RH question I responded by moving a slider to affirm RH command. Isn’t that bizarre? If it’s not connected how could the controller tell it to return?
Right so obviously it was just the video feed that was lost. Regardless of what the message might’ve said.

Reactions: ff22 and Simone L
Yes, if I turn my M2P off while the SC is still on, the video goes to a B&W image on screen.

I turn my SC on first followed by the AC, otherwise I do not receive the AC video feed.

There is a firmware update message when I power up my SC but I hesitate applying it as years ago DJI pushed an update to my P2V that damaged the video feed to the controller/phone.

Perhaps I am being paranoid, but if my M2P and SC are working fine, why apply a firmware patch that might create a problem.

Reactions: ff22
if it was asking you if you want to initiate RH then the RC was still in contact with the drone and you just lost video. If you had lost RC control as well then you would not have been given the option and RH would have happened automatically. You would get a message saying something like "Lost connection with Drone, RH sequence has been initiated"

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman