DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller strap attachment mod

Gastone165

Reactions
I spent a good amount of time looking at all the options for attaching a neck strap to the back of the Smart Controller. For such a simple item, I didn’t like the cost of some of them. I’ve got numerous old neck straps lying around, I just needed the attachment points. I particularly didn’t like the metal loops or bolts that you had to screw into the back of the controller and the way they stuck out. I didn’t want them to possibly damage another piece of equipment when placed in my backpack or case.

My solution to this was to take a short length of 3/4” strap material and sew on a couple D-rings. I burned a small hole through the strap for the screw and attached them to the back of the SC with a stainless screw and washer. I tried to keep each one as short as possible. Then I just hooked up an old camera strap. Total investment around $1.00.
The nice thing about this attachment design is it fits nearly flush with the back of the controller. There are no hard protrusions either.

Attachments

• 070C59A6-7FB0-4550-8897-B813795D3D17.jpeg
    070C59A6-7FB0-4550-8897-B813795D3D17.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 114
I spent a good amount of time looking at all the options for attaching a neck strap to the back of the Smart Controller. For such a simple item, I didn’t like the cost of some of them. I’ve got numerous old neck straps lying around, I just needed the attachment points. I particularly didn’t like the metal loops or bolts that you had to screw into the back of the controller and the way they stuck out. I didn’t want them to possibly damage another piece of equipment when placed in my backpack or case.

My solution to this was to take a short length of 3/4” strap material and sew on a couple D-rings. I burned a small hole through the strap for the screw and attached them to the back of the SC with a stainless screw and washer. I tried to keep each one as short as possible. Then I just hooked up an old camera strap. Total investment around $1.00.
The nice thing about this attachment design is it fits nearly flush with the back of the controller. There are no hard protrusions either.

There are some better solutions in this thread that offer better balance for the SC.

Reactions: Thomas B
Im having trouble finding the screws/bolts with eyelets. I bought a sunnylife tablet mount which included a strap but no way to attach to actual controller.

can you share the 3d object for this ? cheers

Here it is, on Thingiverse

Full disclosure: The link above is for the initial print I did, and is the same one shown in the photograph. I did not design the one in the link. I have actually since designed my own bracket, based on the idea above, and have sold a decent amount of them. (I didn't want to sell somebody else's free model.)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada