DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller Update 7/13/21

melmartin

Reactions
Updated to new firmware this morning. Release notes only say 'bug fixes'. I wonder what's fixed. What's not fixed.

Reactions: maggior
One thought would be to hold back and see what ”bugs” have been exterminated verses which ones have been introduced.

Reactions: Jriley
That's sad. Rained today so I could not test. Hopefully tomorrow. I know some people are looking for less lag, and a bit more range. Those are the common complaints.

That's sad. Rained today so I could not test. Hopefully tomorrow. I know some people are looking for less lag, and a bit more range. Those are the common complaints.
True. I'm not sure those are things that can be fixed with a software update...they may be hardware limitations. Software optimizations can only carry so far.

I didn't notice any lag when I flew tonight, but I was flying in a area I don't usually fly so it may not be a fair comparison.

When DJI releases updates, I'm happy things don't get worse or something doesn't get broken. I was hesitant to download updates at first but (knock on wood) I haven't run into problems with updates since I got my MA2 last April.

Speaking as a software guy, they often can be fixed. The complaints about lag and loss of range started after a particular firmware update, so people are hoping it can be undone. I haven't noticed thee issues, but I don't let the drone get too far out. There were some nasty problems with the Fly app, but the seem to have been sorted.

Last edited:
Updated mine last night and was going to try it today but of course it's raining here today.

i ALWAYS WAIT FOR SAFETY TO SEE IF ANOTHER PROBLEM ARISES. GLAD TO SEE USER POST RESULTS.

Being that the smart conroller has HDMI out look for any version that fits your budget. I used the

Zeiss Cinemizer OLED for three years on my Inspire 1 and 2 they work well and

are very comfortable. You can ussually buy for 300-500 used on eBay and they have US repair in MI.

Using the DJI Air FPV would be a lot of work on the Mavic Air. We make DJI Air FPV mounts for the Inspire and Mavic 2 however, you need to power and make connections a lot of work with little gain on a Mavic Air.

I updated my SC and took it for a spin this morning. First, I noticed both the firmware and the fly app were updated. I was hoping the issue with Master Shots would have been resolved, but sadly that was not the case. One anomoly that did occur which I have never seen before occurred when I switched the SC from movie mode to photo mode. The screen had issues syncing. When I switched it back to movie mode, the screen went purple. I ended up turning off the SC and turning back on and the problem went away. Not sure if that had to do with the firmware or an issue with the unit.

Speaking as a software guy, they often can be fixed. The complaints about lag and loss of range started after a particular firmware update, so people are hoping it can be undone. I haven't noticed thee issues, but I don't let the drone get too far out. There were some nasty problems with the Fly app, but the seem to have been sorted.

I'm a software guy myself. From my experience, you can optimize software up to a point and eventually you hit a wall of not being able to squeeze performance out of the hardware. The SC has been around for a good number of years so part of me wonders if they have started hitting the limits.

I was unaware of the history firmware updates introducing these issues. The good news is that they continue to make updates and haven't abandoned the platform. If they could optimize performance that would be awesome.

Reactions: Chris4koi
I updated my SC and took it for a spin this morning. First, I noticed both the firmware and the fly app were updated. I was hoping the issue with Master Shots would have been resolved, but sadly that was not the case. One anomoly that did occur which I have never seen before occurred when I switched the SC from movie mode to photo mode. The screen had issues syncing. When I switched it back to movie mode, the screen went purple. I ended up turning off the SC and turning back on and the problem went away. Not sure if that had to do with the firmware or an issue with the unit.
I will try switching modes and see what happens. Will do it today if the heavy rains stop.

Reactions: fguthrie
hpefully the lag on my air 2s will update and test the lag is getting really annoying now

Well updated and still lagging bit of a joke this a £1000 drone and a £600 controller and still lagging since launch

Last edited:
  • Sad
Updated my SC last night over Wi-Fi. The download was extremely slow; other sites were fast as ever. Probably there was a download overflow ?

The update process took about 15 minutes. Didn’t fly yet but connecting to my drones worked as usual. So far, all good ?

We are in our monsoon season here in Arizona. I was able to get up for a few minutes the other day. The smart controller worked well, I saw no lag, and had good connectivity out to about 2000 feet which was my limit. I had a full signal at that point but would have lost sight of the drone. The only real change I saw was that it was easier to adjust the camera on the main screen with my fingers. Before, the smart controller was mistaking my taps as a request to focus. So, no issues. Everything seems smooth.

I updated the firmware the day before yesterday and took it for a spin around a bridge (which will be torn down this year). It worked great, no problems here!

And this bridge (dating from 1936) can be viewed here:

Last edited:
Reactions: rolling56

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78