DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller vs. Phone/tablet

a review on amazon on Smart Controller: "To use your controller, KEEP IN MIND, you MUST DOWNLOAD THE TINY AREA ON THE MAP TO USE THE CONTROLLER OUTSIDE OF WIFI, which is anywhere you want to fly. It only allows you to download a tiny rectangle of the map and only a certain amount before you have to delete all of them and restart. Also the signal is not nearly as strong as the regular controller with an iphone."

is this correct? that means if you do not have any internet connection (wifi or phone) then you are unable to use the controller in a multitude of places because you lack the map?

The map is not required to fly at all. It only shows you on the screen where you are in relation to whatever map you could look at for that area. There will still be directional information on the screen, but no street or landmark information.

You may get varying information on signal strength between the smart controller and the stock controller. I think there is a difference myself, the smart controller being the weaker of the two, but certainly not a deal killer.

I use my smart controller and have it connected to my mobile hotspot on my phone when I need to have real time maps. Its pretty seamless and has worked well for me up to this point. Will be going to Australia soon and will see if it works there as well.

Reactions: masic and Casper52
that means if you do not have any internet connection (wifi or phone) then you are unable to use the controller in a multitude of places because you lack the map?
False... I just hook up to a hotspot and download the maps before I go or even while I am there. You can fly without it though. As mentioned you just won't have reference points on the ground.

What are the pros and cons (worldwide use, all continents) of using the Mavic 2 Pro with smart controller vs. phone/tablet?

One question, for example: can you switch from smart controller to phone/tablet or vice versa if you don't like one of the solution (ie, will a drone sold with smart controller still work with a phone/table if one chooses so)?
pros - it is extremely convenient. cons - it is expensive.
so, if your budget allows - get it and do not regret it. if it is a stretch - use an ipad or phone you already have.
as one of 'pros' - on the SC i turn off wifi, so it does not interact with anything, does not ring while flying - etc. convenient.

Are there 3rd party apps, tricks, overrides, etc. that I can do with the phone/tablet but not with the smart controller?

It’s the other way around. The SC has more range than the regular controller. All the quotes and statements are a jumbled pile of 2.4 and 5.8GHz bs. If you leave the SC on dual it won’t perform to its best but customize, use 2.4 GHz, 10 MHz channel 2401-12, the SC does not lose video or connection at 11 miles. That’s as far as I have taken it till date.
Some head to head same configuration experiments are warranted before we reach a conclusion.

If you like to fly when the temperature is cold or hot this Smart Controller is for you. I’ve lost the use(shut down)of my iPad in temperature extremes. The SC’s screen is smaller, but when held closer to my eyes, all is good again. Highly recommended!

Having used the normal controller for a while and now having the smart controller, I’d never go back. The SC is just too convenient and doesn’t tie up my phone. I just mobile hotspot the SC when I need connectivity.

It’s the other way around. The SC has more range than the regular controller. All the quotes and statements are a jumbled pile of 2.4 and 5.8GHz bs. If you leave the SC on dual it won’t perform to its best but customize, use 2.4 GHz, 10 MHz channel 2401-12, the SC does not lose video or connection at 11 miles. That’s as far as I have taken it till date.
Some head to head same configuration experiments are warranted before we reach a conclusion.

I'll have to try that

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid