DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller will support Mini 2 soon

ohhh hmmm naw i like the small compact size of the mini 1 rc

The first Mini can’t ever use the Smart Controller anyway, so it really doesn’t matter you if you prefer the smaller remote of the first Mini, since you don’t have a choice. And while some of us are hoping that the Mini 2 will support the Smart Controller, this potentially good news is pretty much for those that already have the Smart Controller or who plan to have multiple drones....not many people who only buy the budget DJI drone would pay another $800 for a Smart Controller just to use with the Mini 2.

The first Mini can’t ever use the Smart Controller anyway, so it really doesn’t matter you if you prefer the smaller remote of the first Mini, since you don’t have a choice. And while some of us are hoping that the Mini 2 will support the Smart Controller, this potentially good news is pretty much for those that already have the Smart Controller or who plan to have multiple drones....not many people who only buy the budget DJI drone would pay another $800 for a Smart Controller just to use with the Mini 2.
I have a m2p and m2z along with 2 smart rc. But again for the mini the smaller rc is better. Even if only just WiFi signal

I have a m2p and m2z along with 2 smart rc. But again for the mini the smaller rc is better. Even if only just WiFi signal
That info makes your first response even less comprehensible. The smaller remote for the Mini 1 is not and will never be an option for the Mini 2, which obviously has a much larger remote than the Mini 1. As the title of this thread indicates, this thread for people who are interested about the possibility of using their Mini 2 with their Smart Controller. You say you have a Smart Controller, so If the prospect of using that with a Mini 2 doesn’t interest you, I have no idea why you stopped by.

I didn't think the standalone Fly would work with the SC, rather you had to get it with the SC firmware.
The RC component of the SC will need a firmware update to work with the MM2, in the same way a firmware update was released for the MA2 remote so that it would work with the MM2

As I mention before. Is not only the DJI Fly app. You need the firmware in the smart controller to be able to bind first the aircraft in Aircraft Management, this only come so far with a firmware update.

how you update just the fly app? my SRC is on newest firmware, but fly app is shows 1.1.6
You can download the Fly App apk and install in the smart controller overwriting the one that come with the 820 firmware. I have that done, however have some bugs. Is not designed for the smart controller as a native app.

Part of the bugs that I experienced is the live feedback from the camera freeze or has a big delay specially when you are recording the screen and you need to close the app in the air and reopen in order to recover the feedback. If you are flying far when this occur, you need to fly back by VLOS completely without reference or use RTH if the app does not connect again. This happened to me twice from probably over 100 flies. If you are willing to deal with that kind of bugs and others, go for it. I am personally still in the 1.1.9. I can deal with the bugs. Mainly, do not use screen recording while using 1.1.8 or 1.1.9 not natively.

Other bugs I found are that does not report correctly in the flightlogs the power readings. This is a known issue with Airdata and the app in Android and IOS as well, but are minor bugs.

Reactions: crash3x and dcpmark
Part of the bugs that I experienced is the live feedback from the camera freeze or has a big delay specially when you are recording the screen and you need to close the app in the air and reopen in order to recover the feedback. If you are flying far when this occur, you need to fly back by VLOS completely without reference or use RTH if the app does not connect again. This happened to me twice from probably over 100 flies. If you are willing to deal with that kind of bugs and others, go for it. I am personally still in the 1.1.9. I can deal with the bugs. Mainly, do not use screen recording while using 1.1.8 or 1.1.9 not natively.

Other bugs I found are that does not report correctly in the flightlogs the power readings. This is a known issue with Airdata and the app in Android and IOS as well, but are minor bugs.
Thanks for the info! I don't use screen recording, but I will watch for other problems.

We are still waiting, the top image is mine, I wrote thatView attachment 117716View attachment 117717
JFYI I have been flying and dealing with DJI for over 5 years...."Soon" is DJI speak for we are considering it, not that engineering is working on it. It in no way constitutes a measure of time. "Soon" from DJI could mean...next week, next month, next year...never. Has always been that way. Don't ever buy a DJI product with the hopes that they will adjust anything to "your" liking or a nice feature to be added. Unless it is in release notes and marketing on release trust nothing the tier one "help" tells you. Those fine folk from India are reading from script cards and get bored and may adlib a scene or two!

Best to disregard all hope of a feature and be pleasantly surprised (Ala Zoom added to MA2) if DJI kicks out a firmware update of new features or adaptability. Remember release notes on the MA2 said explicitly they would incorporate functionality for the Smart Controller? Find me that same promise they said that for Mini 2 :p That is not to say they wont...but "they" never said they will. Ask the Inspire 2 flyers that have been waiting for 2 years for a promised feature set that DJI has yet to deliver. Just Say'n. ;) Given what a I2 cost you would think they would be at the top of the list for promises and firmware fixes..and it just isn't so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clinton1
Right after my DJI Smart Controller (Black thing with a bright screen built-in), upgraded itself to be compatible with Mavic Air 2, it stopped responding when i plug it into PC running DJI Assistant 2. Often the USB animation would work, but nothing. I watched the connection happen on Device Manager (Windows 10).. also nothing. Is this a thing for you guys too? I hope the thing knows how to update itself by Wi-Fi once the Mini 2 firmware is released!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky