DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller with Tello?

Marty Markoe

Reactions
Site
www.martymarkoephotography.com
Love the SC for use with Mavic 2 Pro. The Tello surprisingly is durable and fun to fly around house for practice and as a training platform. Using a smartphone works, but not with fine control. There is a controller for the Tello. Can get it for $31 on Amazon. Before ordering, wonder if anyone is able to get the SC to control Tello?

You can use the SC as a screen because SC has Wi-Fi and Tello uses standard Wi-Fi but the RC part of it won't work. Only on-screen sticks, or separate compatible (such as GameSir) remote.

Sort of defeats the purpose of the SC if you're looking for physical stick control. If you're just using the SC as a tablet and using the on-screen sticks, then sure.

And consider getting the USB version. I've had the Bluetooth only controller send bad stick controls once in a while and I was told it comes from the Bluetooth connection.

You can use the SC as a screen because SC has Wi-Fi and Tello uses standard Wi-Fi but the RC part of it won't work. Only on-screen sticks, or separate compatible (such as GameSir) remote.

Sort of defeats the purpose of the SC if you're looking for physical stick control. If you're just using the SC as a tablet and using the on-screen sticks, then sure.
I was able to get tello to work with TelloFPV and the smartcontroller. I even connect usb wifi extender to the usb port of the SC for range

Did TelloFPV let you use the SC's physical sticks?
I like that app, but the remote button mapping confuses me, particularly where it's very different from the native app.

I enable Controller Sticks Vompatibility in the DJI Labs section of settings.Screenshot_20201216-223847.png
This came in handy for enabling sticks in flight simulators like Realflight, Freerider FPV 1&2,

Last edited:
We’re you able to use the Smart Controller sticks to fly?
Yes, after enabling in DJI Labs I was then able to select and map the controller to personal preferred sticks and buttons. Change a setting, take off, hover, check, land and repeat as required.

Screenshot_20201216-223815.png

I was unable to map to the C1 and C2 buttons from the underside of the smart controller as TelloFPV wouldn't recognise it. I contacted the developer and he was unable to implement it as yet as he didn't own the controller himself.

I have to chuckle to myself each time I use my $AUD1100 Controller to fly my $AUD150 Drone

How did you get TelloFPV on your SC?
I followed the tutorial on Install Play Store on DJI Smart Controller.

Saved me having to buy litchi again. I can backup photos and video and share with others now I've installed Google Drive and Google Photos. I can also use and all my previously purchased and not available to Amazon or Fdroid apps like TelloFPV,Realflight and FreeRider(great for when you're all charged up and itching to fly and you can't get out of the house/car due to the weather)

I was going to say you probably sideloaded TelloFPV, but then it would have to verify your purchased license which is normally done through Play. However I believe TelloFPV is authenticated by the developer's servers.

I was going to say you probably sideloaded TelloFPV, but then it would have to verify your purchased license which is normally done through Play. However I believe TelloFPV is authenticated by the developer's servers.
Maybe someone who hasn't installed Play Services can maybe sideload TelloFPV and verify but I still think it needs Play Services first to verify your identify first

Did TelloFPV let you use the SC's physical sticks?

Get the controller from Amazon. Works so much better than the onscreen control of the smartphone.
Had thought of that then realized connecting phone or SC for FPV defeats purpose of SC as combination controller/FPV.

Successfully loaded Google Play Store. Tello FPV works but only with on screen controls, not sticks. Has anyone actually gotten the control sticks to work with SC and Tello???

Had thought of that then realized connecting phone or SC for FPV defeats purpose of SC as combination controller/FPV.

Successfully loaded Google Play Store. Tello FPV works but only with on screen controls, not sticks. Has anyone actually gotten the control sticks to work with SC and Tello???
See post #8 and #11.

See post #8 and #11.
Beat me, whip me, kill me. Before adding Google Play Store DJI Lab had an icon in Apps but is now gone. It is now also not listed in the Apps section of Settings. Under Device in Settings it shows DJI Lab. When clicked it only shows Control Sticks Compatibility as in post#8 with the only option to enable or disable. The Controller Mapping is gone.

I did a Play Store search for the DJI Lab app and could not find it. Checked DJI web site as well but no joy. Anyone know how to enable it so Sticks can be enabled?

Last edited:
You said you found where to enable compatibility in settings. That's all you have to do in SC according to post 8.

Then according to post 11, once that's enabled, the sticks can be discovered and mapped within TelloFPV.

TelloFPV has a lot going for it, but I found its RC mapping confusing.

You said you found where to enable compatibility in settings. That's all you have to do in SC according to post 8.

Then according to post 11, once that's enabled, the sticks can be discovered and mapped within TelloFPV.

TelloFPV has a lot going for it, but I found its RC
Really frustrating. Set up everything like in Post #8 and #11. Get license confirmation when starting TelloFPV. Can Takeoff and land with button at lower center. Can control movement with Onscreen virtual controls. However, no stick movement and get message:
"Please set all controller sticks to neutral."
Exited TelloFPV and in Settings calibrated sticks. Restarted and same as before. Anyone else have this issue and knows the fix?

"Please set all controller sticks to neutral."
Went at this again today. For some reason the sticks were sort of functioning. There was Incorrect stick mapping and this was relatively easy to fix.

Ascend and Descend, Yaw right and Yaw left, Pitch forward and Pitch backward were easy to configure In Settings/Controller. Roll left and Roll right were not working at all. After playing around with Normal and Reverse finally worked. Tested and flew great.

I fly a Mavic 2 and have a US commercial Part 107 certificate. The Tello with the Smart Controller is now a great training tool for basic flight control.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa