DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SmartCapture gesture control, height drop?

btonetbone

Reactions
So, my Mavic Air crashed and I'm not sure if it was my error, a problem with the drone, programming error, or something else.

I was trying to show my wife how some of the features work, and we launched (precision launch) from the third floor balcony on the rear of our condo. I took it up to 12 feet higher and zipped around a little bit, which is high enough to avoid the few obstacles back there.

I brought it back in front of us, still about 12 feet up. Then, I turned on the SmartCapture gesture control and the thing dropped height almost instantly by 6ish feet. Within moments, it had lowered enough where it got stuck in a tree. It then flipped over and fell about 50 feet to the ground.

In hindsight, I'm aware that I could have likely either pressed Pause or exited the SmartCapture mode, but it happened so quickly that I was shocked and didn't respond fast enough. I didn't see anywhere in the manual that SmartCapture will automatically lower to a certain height, and was quite surprised.

And yes, I know that the location wasn't ideal. And yes, I wish I had cat-like reflexes on the remote. But I was also expecting it to maintain height until it read my hand gestures or (at the very least) the sensors on the bottom to prevent it from lowering into the tree.

Has anyone else had experience with SmartCapture shifting height quickly like that?

I've already sent my drone back to DJI for repairs. Hopefully it'll be covered under warranty, but I have the Refresh option just in case.

It is because of your “takeoff height” you should always takeoff from ground level. Because you were higher up, you could have tricked the VPS system.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wiz4rd