DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smartcontroller; some pointers.

the problem with any device that is used with the go4 app is people do not realise just how much of the operating system in the device the app is using to fly the drone.and the fact that you need a certain system to work well, most problems happen because the device is overwhelmed by the app and it crashes you really need to have a dedicated tablet for everything to be stable, and then disable all the apps that are not needed, this applies to android and ios devices

Excellent point!

Yeah right...?? rob just out of curiosity, what’s the battery life on a SC compared to the standard controller? The only reason I ask, the SC also has to power the screen. My CS battery also last many hours so I just wanted to compare both on power consumption.

Its lasts 90 minutes until down to 25% which is as low as I let it get since it only has idiot lights to display battery voltage. It has 2 batteries inside, where the OEM controller has one.

Reactions: Porky
Now that Ive sold almost a dozen of them, and have logged a good many hours with the Smartcontroller I have made some observations. Not all flights have been pleasant, but its a cute little device.

Your Smartcontroller is your "everything" once you start your drone. It serves as both your controller and display device. I have owned a Phantom 4 Pro + with an integrated display since they first came out, and for me, the ritual is very similar.
  1. Always start with a fully charge battery.
  2. Keep a spare power bank just in case you forgot to charge your SC and it starts running low.
  3. Make sure all error messages are gone before you take off.
  4. During a flight, if the SC screen freezes, but you are still connected to the drone, press the RTH button immediately and bring it back.
  5. If the controller shuts down entirely during a flight, restart it as soon as you can and try to regain control of the aircraft.
  6. If your video lags, start a RTH and possibly your lag will decrease as you get closer to home.
  7. If you are experiencing multiple error messages during a flight, best to land it and see what the problems are.
  8. Dont let your SC get too hot. I would not use it in the direct sunlight, even though you can still see the display.
  9. Get a screen protector for it. If it gets scratched, youre going to have to send it in for a new screen. Wont be cheap.
  10. If you dare, you can use liquid glass and see how it comes out. Try it on a small corner to see if you can do it evenly.
  11. Use the lanyard! The last thing you want to do is drop the SC. The lanyard also relieves some of the pressure on your hands.
  12. Keep it out of the rain. It is water resistant but not waterproof.
  13. Dont run with it around your neck.
  14. Dont try to bend over and place the drone on the ground with it around your neck. Also, dont bend down anywhere near the drone if the props are spinning.
  15. If youre just starting to use Litchi with the SC, take baby steps until you are sure all systems are go. The SC and Litchi app for it are both pretty new.
  16. It never hurts to have your OEM controller paired as a second device with a display connected, just in case the SC is having a bad day. Redundancy is important especially if you already have a spare OEM controller.
  17. Try not to do updates to the SC with the drone turned on. Sometimes updates fail, and your drone will be sitting there powered on needlessly.
  18. Try to avoid putting a beer on the screen while your flying. It will leave a ring. (JOKING)
This is my short list. Please feel free to add anything you think is important.
This is very helpful since I have had the SC for only 10 days so thanks! The only thing I have noticed is a few times while I was flying the screen suddenly went back to DJI Logo but if I hit the back button it goes right back where it should be.

This is very helpful since I have had the SC for only 10 days so thanks! The only thing I have noticed is a few times while I was flying the screen suddenly went back to DJI Logo but if I hit the back button it goes right back where it should be.

Youre very welcome. Thats what Im here for.

Now that Ive sold almost a dozen of them, and have logged a good many hours with the Smartcontroller I have made some observations. Not all flights have been pleasant, but its a cute little device.

Your Smartcontroller is your "everything" once you start your drone. It serves as both your controller and display device. I have owned a Phantom 4 Pro + with an integrated display since they first came out, and for me, the ritual is very similar.
  1. Always start with a fully charge battery.
  2. Keep a spare power bank just in case you forgot to charge your SC and it starts running low.
  3. Make sure all error messages are gone before you take off.
  4. During a flight, if the SC screen freezes, but you are still connected to the drone, press the RTH button immediately and bring it back.
  5. If the controller shuts down entirely during a flight, restart it as soon as you can and try to regain control of the aircraft.
  6. If your video lags, start a RTH and possibly your lag will decrease as you get closer to home.
  7. If you are experiencing multiple error messages during a flight, best to land it and see what the problems are.
  8. Dont let your SC get too hot. I would not use it in the direct sunlight, even though you can still see the display.
  9. Get a screen protector for it. If it gets scratched, youre going to have to send it in for a new screen. Wont be cheap.
  10. If you dare, you can use liquid glass and see how it comes out. Try it on a small corner to see if you can do it evenly.
  11. Use the lanyard! The last thing you want to do is drop the SC. The lanyard also relieves some of the pressure on your hands.
  12. Keep it out of the rain. It is water resistant but not waterproof.
  13. Dont run with it around your neck.
  14. Dont try to bend over and place the drone on the ground with it around your neck. Also, dont bend down anywhere near the drone if the props are spinning.
  15. If youre just starting to use Litchi with the SC, take baby steps until you are sure all systems are go. The SC and Litchi app for it are both pretty new.
  16. It never hurts to have your OEM controller paired as a second device with a display connected, just in case the SC is having a bad day. Redundancy is important especially if you already have a spare OEM controller.
  17. Try not to do updates to the SC with the drone turned on. Sometimes updates fail, and your drone will be sitting there powered on needlessly.
  18. Try to avoid putting a beer on the screen while your flying. It will leave a ring. (JOKING)
This is my short list. Please feel free to add anything you think is important.
If you use a huggie there won’t be any rings

Reactions: Former Member
Its lasts 90 minutes until down to 25% which is as low as I let it get since it only has idiot lights to display battery voltage. It has 2 batteries inside, where the OEM controller has one.

Thanks rob?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB