DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smartcontroller; some pointers.

Former Member

Reactions
Now that Ive sold almost a dozen of them, and have logged a good many hours with the Smartcontroller I have made some observations. Not all flights have been pleasant, but its a cute little device.

Your Smartcontroller is your "everything" once you start your drone. It serves as both your controller and display device. I have owned a Phantom 4 Pro + with an integrated display since they first came out, and for me, the ritual is very similar.
  1. Always start with a fully charge battery.
  2. Keep a spare power bank just in case you forgot to charge your SC and it starts running low.
  3. Make sure all error messages are gone before you take off.
  4. During a flight, if the SC screen freezes, but you are still connected to the drone, press the RTH button immediately and bring it back.
  5. If the controller shuts down entirely during a flight, restart it as soon as you can and try to regain control of the aircraft.
  6. If your video lags, start a RTH and possibly your lag will decrease as you get closer to home.
  7. If you are experiencing multiple error messages during a flight, best to land it and see what the problems are.
  8. Dont let your SC get too hot. I would not use it in the direct sunlight, even though you can still see the display.
  9. Get a screen protector for it. If it gets scratched, youre going to have to send it in for a new screen. Wont be cheap.
  10. If you dare, you can use liquid glass and see how it comes out. Try it on a small corner to see if you can do it evenly.
  11. Use the lanyard! The last thing you want to do is drop the SC. The lanyard also relieves some of the pressure on your hands.
  12. Keep it out of the rain. It is water resistant but not waterproof.
  13. Dont run with it around your neck.
  14. Dont try to bend over and place the drone on the ground with it around your neck. Also, dont bend down anywhere near the drone if the props are spinning.
  15. If youre just starting to use Litchi with the SC, take baby steps until you are sure all systems are go. The SC and Litchi app for it are both pretty new.
  16. It never hurts to have your OEM controller paired as a second device with a display connected, just in case the SC is having a bad day. Redundancy is important especially if you already have a spare OEM controller.
  17. Try not to do updates to the SC with the drone turned on. Sometimes updates fail, and your drone will be sitting there powered on needlessly.
  18. Try to avoid putting a beer on the screen while your flying. It will leave a ring. (JOKING)
This is my short list. Please feel free to add anything you think is important.

Last edited:
Now that Ive sold almost a dozen of them, and have logged a good many hours with the Smartcontroller I have made some observations. Not all flights have been pleasant, but its a cute little device.

Your Smartcontroller is your "everything" once you start your drone. It serves as both your controller and display device. I have owned a Phantom 4 Pro + with an integrated display since they first came out, and for me, the ritual is very similar.
  1. Always start with a fully charge battery.
  2. Keep a spare power bank just in case you forgot to charge your SC and it starts running low.
  3. Make sure all error messages are gone before you take off.
  4. During a flight, if the SC screen freezes, but you are still connected to the drone, press the RTH button immediately and bring it back.
  5. If the controller shuts down entirely during a flight, restart it as soon as you can and try to regain control of the aircraft.
  6. If your video lags, start a RTH and possibly your lag will decrease as you get closer to home.
  7. If you are experiencing multiple error messages during a flight, best to land it and see what the problems are.
  8. Dont let your SC get too hot. I would not use it in the direct sunlight, even though you can still see the display.
  9. Get a screen protector for it. If it gets scratched, youre going to have to send it in for a new screen. Wont be cheap.
  10. If you dare, you can use liquid glass and see how it comes out. Try it on a small corner to see if you can do it evenly.
  11. Use the lanyard! The last thing you want to so is drop the SC. The lanyard also relieves some of the pressure on your hands.
  12. Keep it out of the rain. It is water resistant but not waterproof.
  13. Dont run with it around your neck.
  14. Dont try to bend over and place the drone on the ground with it around your neck. Also, dont bend down anywhere near the drone if the props are spinning.
  15. If youre just starting to use Litchi with the SC, take baby steps until you are sure all systems are go. The SC and Litchi app for it are both pretty new.
  16. It never hurts to have your OEM controller paired as a second device with a display connected, just in case the SC is having a bad day.
  17. Try not to do updates to the SC with the drone turned on. Sometimes updates fail, and your drone will be sitting there powered on needlessly.
  18. Try to avoid putting a beer on teh screen while your flying. It will leave a ring. (JOKING)
This is my short list. Please feel free to add anything you think is important.

What kind of luck have you had with Liquid Glass? How durable is it really? Are there brands or just one version?

from what you are saying Rob it seems that the smart controller can be pretty dumb sometimes which is a shame because it is supposed to be a step forwards if it was less problematic and cheaper then i might invest in one

What kind of luck have you had with Liquid Glass? How durable is it really? Are there brands or just one version?

There is the one major brand, and I have used it on other devices but not the Smartcontroller. It might void the warranty, but if your warranty is expired, and you want something a little more permanent than a plastic shield, LP might be an alternative.

from what you are saying Rob it seems that the smart controller can be pretty dumb sometimes which is a shame because it is supposed to be a step forwards if it was less problematic and cheaper then i might invest in one

@old man mavic I have the perfect answer for you. Get @Porky to buy one, then just borrow his. I dont think he will part with his 7.85 CS, but its worth a try. You could always ask him subliminally on his "Christmas" thread, and maybe you will have one under the tree on December 26. lol

i suppose the investment for me would be if the time it takes for me to set up my controller fit the screen and pair it,became an issue but as it stands time is something i have have plenty of now i am retired,so i cant justify the expense at the moment but maybe things will change one day

i suppose the investment for me would be if the time it takes for me to set up my controller fit the screen and pair it,became an issue but as it stands time is something i have have plenty of now i am retired,so i cant justify the expense at the moment but maybe things will change one day

If you have something that works for you, no need to upgrade. I prefer my S9+ with OEM controller, but thats a whole other thread.

Reactions: old man mavic
It really is not dumb.

Rob, who is very helpful, really strongly dislikes the Smart Controller (it is too small, it only serves the Mavic 2 series, it does not run Apple OS, etc) and makes no bones about posting a stream of condemnation. Much of the above list is commonsense and applies to any controller like using the regular controller and your cellphone in the rain or heat. Or running with scissors, ahem with any controller and an ipad with a noose, ahem, lanyard around your neck. I also strongly advise not leaning over a shredding machine or props with a tie on (no, no personal experience but ...)

There are plenty of people who seem to find it quite an acceptable, although, pricey, piece of equipment and a dream to setup in seconds and fly.

Now back to our regularly scheduled infomercial. (g)

Reactions: m2zAL and masic
Here are some other Smartcontroller related threads, some of which I have contributed to:

a lot of the time people will rubbish something based on their own use of something if they get a good one,they will praise it ,a bad one,
not reccomend it,that is the same with any product.

if the controller does what you want then thats ok its up to individual taste, and opinion,i for instance cannot fault my android tablet has never crashed is great for my UAV but to hear some posters on here only apple products are any good for DJI UAVs go figure

a lot of the time people will rubbish something based on their own use of something if they get a good one,they will praise it ,a bad one,
not reccomend it,that is the same with any product.

if the controller does what you want then thats ok its up to individual taste, and opinion,i for instance cannot fault my android tablet has never crashed is great for my UAV but to hear some posters on here only apple products are any good for DJI UAVs go figure

It goes back to the 2 camps, Apple and Android. I find it funny and interesting how two completely different operating systems can have such wide appeal on the same drone. It seems like you have Apple people and Android people, and never the twain shall meet.

It goes back to the 2 camps, Apple and Android. I find it funny and interesting how two completely different operating systems can have such wide appeal on the same drone. It seems like you have Apple people and Android people, and never the twain shall meet.

I’ve always been a Apple user until I got my CS, to be honest I really can’t see any difference between them personally apart from having a nice monitor now?

@old man mavic I have the perfect answer for you. Get @Porky to buy one, then just borrow his. I dont think he will part with his 7.85 CS, but its worth a try. You could always ask him subliminally on his "Christmas" thread, and maybe you will have one under the tree on December 26. lol

Yeah right...?? rob just out of curiosity, what’s the battery life on a SC compared to the standard controller? The only reason I ask, the SC also has to power the screen. My CS battery also last many hours so I just wanted to compare both on power consumption.

I have always been using a combination of android and apple and cant really say that one has been better than the other. I have always used devices at the upper end of the market though, and always diligent with my procedures so maybe that is why, or I’ve just been lucky.

I’m also a little surprised that you have logged many hours with the smart controller as you keep seeming to point out that you don’t use it and you prefer to stick to your galaxy s9+.

the problem with any device that is used with the go4 app is people do not realise just how much of the operating system in the device the app is using to fly the drone.and the fact that you need a certain system to work well, most problems happen because the device is overwhelmed by the app and it crashes you really need to have a dedicated tablet for everything to be stable, and then disable all the apps that are not needed, this applies to android and ios devices

Thanks for the advice. I installed a protective glass screen from day one. I would not have bought the SC if it had any association with Apple/iOS. I'm glad DJI made a sensible decision.

Reactions: Former Member
I’m also a little surprised that you have logged many hours with the smart controller as you keep seeming to point out that you don’t use it and you prefer to stick to your galaxy s9+.

I buy sell and trade DJI products for a living. I fly multiple times every day. When someone sends me their drone with SC, I have no choice but to use it to test their drone. I also test all the used SCs that I sell.

Reactions: Bakeneko
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverbobomalem