DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So I took the MP1 out today and had a odd situation

jaysrmc

Reactions
I lost signal. Auto return to home was started but the problem was that the sun was seen as an obsticle and the drone also was near a mountain side so I couldn't get the thing to move beccause no matter what I did it showed the sun an obsticle. I had to disable sensors in order to get my bird back.. weird situation, its like everything that went wrong did go wrong. I paniced at first then started to think how do I get out of the situation and removed the obsticle avoidence so I could climb and avoid the obsticle (cactus and the sun).

Here is the video, not sure how it was flying in that direction when it should have been flying straight.
it happened around 4:14.. just thought i would share.\

Last edited:
Interesting problem. OA kept you from hitting the ground but stopped the return because of an error. If you fly in that type of terrain where you risk losing connection then leave OA on, have RTH set correctly, and hope for the best.

Interesting problem. OA kept you from hitting the ground but stopped the return because of an error. If you fly in that type of terrain where you risk losing connection then leave OA on, have RTH set correctly, and hope for the best.
Nice video! Tried to recognize the ground; Ahwatuke? These birds are so darn smart, clearly it takes a cool head to think of defeating the OA when nothing else will work. I'm learning so much from reading "Mavic Pilots", and hopefully wil possess the cool head in whatever potential "panic" situation finds me. I was wondering; was this VLOS?

Planning your flight route is very important . Try to avoid front sensors facing the sun, going out or coming back. As soon as you get the connection back, you could cancel RTH and fly MP backward manually.

Reactions: Steve Murray
I lost signal. Auto return to home was started but the problem was that the sun was seen as an obsticle and the drone also was near a mountain side so I couldn't get the thing to move beccause no matter what I did it showed the sun an obsticle. I had to disable sensors in order to get my bird back.. weird situation, its like everything that went wrong did go wrong. I paniced at first then started to think how do I get out of the situation and removed the obsticle avoidence so I could climb and avoid the obsticle (cactus and the sun).

Here is the video, not sure how it was flying in that direction when it should have been flying straight.

There is a really useful feature that the MAvic Pro [1] has, called 'Home Lock' ... If you engage 'Home lock' and then pull the [pitch] stick back and hold it there, then no matter what direction the Mavic is pointed in, it will fly directly back along a course that's between it and it's home point. If the sensors are being hit by sunlight when the Mavic is pointing back at you, engage 'Home Lock', spin the drone in map-view to point away from you (& the sun), then just pull back on the stick. You can adjust height while it's in transit if you want to go over any trees etc.

I have had that happen to me a couple of times, and i just turned it around and flew it backwards.
Hmmm seems like the worst alternative unless you can absolutely see all the potential obstacles. Make sure it clears the obstacles and turn off the sensor. If you are in a pinch for time flip it to sport mode, which shuts down the sensors, and fly it forward.

Nice video! Tried to recognize the ground; Ahwatuke? These birds are so darn smart, clearly it takes a cool head to think of defeating the OA when nothing else will work. I'm learning so much from reading "Mavic Pilots", and hopefully wil possess the cool head in whatever potential "panic" situation finds me. I was wondering; was this VLOS?
This was not VLOS. I was way far away. When I am in places where there are no people or aircraft, I will fly beyond VLOS. Drone police can chime in if they like but yeah I paniced once before when something went crazy, now I just stop what I am doing, think about what I would give someone advice in a specific scenreo and usually pull out of it. I have not crashed even flying in mountains beyond VLOS.

Reactions: Turn11
does sport mode disable the obstacle avoidance ?
OA doesn't work in Sport mode because at speed in sport mode, the drone is tilted too far for the OA sensors to see ahead properly.

so... if you are having problems getting the bird to fly in the direction you want, due to sun, etc... you could just switch to sport move to get it moving again.

Even though you turn off OA you still need to go in the app and turn off RTH OA. lots of mavic never came home because of that one.

so... if you are having problems getting the bird to fly in the direction you want, due to sun, etc... you could just switch to sport move to get it moving again.
affirmative

/

How HIGH are you flying ?

I get a warning when i fly too high

I am assuming that it is because i am very close to 2 airports (actually MORE than 2) but both are major airports...JFK + LaGuardia...no height limit for you ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS