DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So in which firmware did DJI fix the crappy range on RE goggles?

Macabre

Reactions
I just got my brand new goggles RE and I was a bit worried which turned out to be true. I lost signal on my Mavic 2 Pro at around 800m distance.
Everything is updated to the latest firmware, but the latest goggles firmware is from if I remember correctly Sep/2018.
Also, my google is not manufactured after Feb/2019 but rather Nov/2018.

Any suggestions before I return them?

I think there is a solution, but just can’t remember where I saw it. I think it was on the rcgroups website. Any of that stuff is frustrating, but do a bit of research and you will probably get it solved.

I just got my brand new goggles RE and I was a bit worried which turned out to be true. I lost signal on my Mavic 2 Pro at around 800m distance.
Everything is updated to the latest firmware, but the latest goggles firmware is from if I remember correctly Sep/2018.

Make sure you have the latest DJI Go 4 and also experiment with and without the external antenna.

Reactions: Bill combs
I think there is a solution, but just can’t remember where I saw it. I think it was on the rcgroups website. Any of that stuff is frustrating, but do a bit of research and you will probably get it solved.

I wish I could find that in that messy forum of theirs (which also is quite awesome).

Make sure you have the latest DJI Go 4 and also experiment with and without the external antenna.

I have everything latest version/firmware. I have not tried without the antenna. I will give it a go when the weather clears up.
RE looks soooo much better than the white one. Pictures don't do it justice.

My goggles were purchased 2018 have no problems at all firmware is up to date goggles should be 007 make sure your settings are ok.

My goggles were purchased 2018 have no problems at all firmware is up to date goggles should be 007 make sure your settings are ok.

It's on the latest version, 007.
However, I keep getting the "upgrade" option even if I successfully update it a few times.

Are you using your goggles with a Mavic 2 or an earlier version? I also bought my Mavic 2 Pro in 2018 and the range absolutely SUXs! I did hear of one person that eventually managed to get 2,700' out of his but that's only a fraction of what they should do!

I have M2Z &RE goggles 5/6 klm and RTH kicks in goggles work beautifull goggles were purchased 2018 M2Z 2019 no problems with range. Good luck and safe flying.
Are you using your goggles with a Mavic 2 or an earlier version? I also bought my Mavic 2 Pro in 2018 and the range absolutely SUXs! I did hear of one person that eventually managed to get 2,700' out of his but that's only a fraction of what they should do!

Reactions: TR Ganey
Alright, so today I got a bit more range. About 1.2km with goggles before the signal loss. Not bad I guess considering I couldn't get further than 1.6km on the aircraft without googles. However, 800m-1.2km range is very choppy and low quality.
So I'm not sure if I should keep the goggles or return them :/

So far, I've tested:

1) Downgrading to 100 firmware then upgrading again to 700.
2) Swapped antennas (no difference).
3) Tried without antenna (lower range).
4) Started the aircraft and controller, made sure both are connected before turning googles on.
5) Made sure both the controller and goggles are in dual mode.

Something did help me get above 800m. Before I had issues sometimes even at 400m, never longer range than 800m. However, this time I tried a different location (but somewhat similar, scarcely inhabited), so not sure if that made the difference.

And I'm not sure how the heck are people reaching 5+km when I can't even get to 2km... I was just outside a medium-sized city of 150.000 citizens.

Alright, so today I got a bit more range. About 1.2km with goggles before the signal loss. Not bad I guess considering I couldn't get further than 1.6km on the aircraft without googles. However, 800m-1.2km range is very choppy and low quality.
So I'm not sure if I should keep the goggles or return them :/

So far, I've tested:

1) Downgrading to 100 firmware then upgrading again to 700.
2) Swapped antennas (no difference).
3) Tried without antenna (lower range).
4) Started the aircraft and controller, made sure both are connected before turning googles on.
5) Made sure both the controller and goggles are in dual mode.

Something did help me get above 800m. Before I had issues sometimes even at 400m, never longer range than 800m. However, this time I tried a different location (but somewhat similar, scarcely inhabited), so not sure if that made the difference.

And I'm not sure how the heck are people reaching 5+km when I can't even get to 2km... I was just outside a medium-sized city of 150.000 citizens.
I read somewhere (possible DJI Forum) that the early version of the RE goggles did not work well with the Mavic Pro 2. Some circuit in the goggles needed to be modified. If your goggles are still under warranty DJI was fixing this for free.

If I remember well, someone one this or the DJI forum reported that the range problem goes away if dual mode is DISABLED.

You might want to try this before returning your goggles...

I decided to stick to my MP with RE goggles until DJI releases Goggles 2. Than I will upgrade both drone and goggles (provided the range problem is solved).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS