DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So much glare, I can't see the screen...

That's a great use of an otherwise useless piece of packing.
I came up with a similar but still crude design a week ago for use with my iPad Mini2, so I needed something considerably larger.
I did this out of an old piece of cardboard I had laying around the garage.
FREE phone or tablet SUNSHADE

Sweet.......that might also come in handy when it rains?? Lol!! ;)

I think it'll get to soggy in the rain.
I'll be redoing it out of some nicer material shortly. With a screen as big as the iPad Mini2, I needed it to be that tall for the best shading effect. When I hold the controller in the normal flight position, you don't really see the shield other than the top edge of it.

View attachment 8780 View attachment 8781 View attachment 8780 View attachment 8781 View attachment 8780 View attachment 8781
I think it'll get to soggy in the rain.
I'll be redoing it out of some nicer material shortly. With a screen as big as the iPad Mini2, I needed it to be that tall for the best shading effect. When I hold the controller in the normal flight position, you don't really see the shield other than the top edge of it.

Well, I guess you have more sun over there than here in Blighty (and less rain!) but whatever works right?
I've made a Kydex one for my Shield K1 which works really well, A4 x 1mm sheets are not expensive, can be easily bent into shape if needed with some heat, and to make it fold flatter for transport, I stuck the side pieces on with self-adhesive felt.

20170223_145101.jpg 20170223_150302.jpg

Nice solutions!
I saw an ad in which someone flying a Mavic with the MaXXX antenna boosters had this tall hood that went up at least a foot and ended in a pair of eye pieces.
Guess that may be the ultimate in rec flying but for me that would be a cop magnet, for sure.
Talk about truth in advertising...

Reactions: Rangerdave
So I've been flying using my Nexus 6P, and there is so much glare on the screen that I can barely see where I'm flying. Sometimes, I truly cannot see the screen. I also tried my older LG-G2 with the same results. I've ordered a sun hood for the phone, but so much of the glare comes from the reflections of objects behind me, and not so much from direct sunlight hitting the screen,which I'm able to block with my body,just by turning around a bit.

Does anyone know of a good anti-glare screen protector, or other options which don't include stepping into shade (as that is not always an option)?

I am looking for options that you have tried, which actually work, and not just a link to an general Amazon search. Thanks!

Yes, I don't know why this solution is not widely used. Make a small hood out of stiff plastic or card and angle it back 30 degrees to the mobile face. That way you cut out all reflections of the outside world and it works like a charm even in bright sunlight. I attach a photo of mine. I also use a small platform for the mobile that angles the mobile forward at 25 degrees. This gives a nice comfortable viewing angle. A perfect system at zero cost!

Attachments

• Controller-&-hood.jpg
    Controller-&-hood.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 73
See my other post under "Flying my Mavic is distressing on its own........."

• Get a matte screen protector
  • Stand in shade of a tree (if available)
  • If you have SUV with uplift rear hatch, position car so hatch provides shade and stand under it
  • Light towel over head and controller (looks silly and may raise suspicion)
  • Make or buy a sun shade
  • Get DJI goggles
  • Fly at night...o_O

How did you get on with the suggested accessories. I went through a similar process with my tablet and phone and struggled in bright sunlight. Tried different shades and screen protectors. I ended up getting a Crystalsky and only this solved my problems. I'm happy to say I have recently returned from 2 weeks in Mauritius and filmed in direct bright sunlight without any hoods needed.

The best solution I have found so far, is the specially made rectangular hood which fits a 5.5 inch phone. It is inexpensive and well made. It is about 5 inches deep - phone surface to hood top.
This is available from Amazon and other vendors. You can use the touch screen through a window in the lower edge. A bit fiddly at first but you get used to it, providing your hands are not too large. So that the touch screen abilities are not impaired, I sit the hood at the top ends, on the plastic of the controller phone mount so that it is not touching the screen. See pics attached. Note that I mount the phone low down in the controller jaws and use the USB cable to connect with the central USB socket on the controller. This also has the benefit of giving clear access to the joysticks. Apart from stretching to the Epson Moverio glasses, this is my best solution so far.

Attachments

• DSC06217.JPG
    DSC06217.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 32
  • DSC06218.JPG
    DSC06218.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
Oh my, I really hope that you are kidding with this post...? I don't need a safety lesson, nor was one warranted here. I shoot video and photos. I need to be able to compose my shots, but can't - if I can't see the screen. How did such a simple question get turned into a drone police action? Sorry man, but your post is way off base. Do you have anything helpful to offer with regards to answering my question?

Anyone else wanna take a shot at this very simple and straightforward question?

Nicely said

Reactions: Qoncussion
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clang123