DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So the myth is busted.... Drones won't bring down planes....

This misses the point of NFZs. A plane hitting a bird is a natural occurrence and cannot be avoided for the most part. A plane hitting a drone is completely avoidable and caused by one party's departure from their airspace. Just because an airplane can survive a hit with a drone does not mean we should be allowed to share airspace. The rules that are in place are adequate. If we are involved in an accident with an airplane we loose a few dollars, the airplane has a chance of loosing a few lives.

This misses the point of NFZs. A plane hitting a bird is a natural occurrence and cannot be avoided for the most part. A plane hitting a drone is completely avoidable and caused by one party's departure from their airspace. Just because an airplane can survive a hit with a drone does not mean we should be allowed to share airspace. The rules that are in place are adequate. If we are involved in an accident with an airplane we loose a few dollars, the airplane has a chance of loosing a few lives.
The point I'm making is not about NFZ's - my post is self-explanatory - people argue NFZ are too restrictive because drones won't cause damage. A plane hitting a drone is "avoidable" - you've obviously never flown a plane before.

Going off the logic that every drone pilot must have a licence because he can crash into a commercial a/c, or fly within an airport ATZ or a MATZ,
must mean that every man must be a rapist and child molester because of what he has between his legs!

Yep,, that would be to easy to prove the point that a drone would would or would NOT take out a jet engine ..

Side note, lan, thanks, I caught one of your YouTube vids and ended up buying the Loc8tor, let me tell you my stress of loosing my mavic has dropped about 80% .. thanks :)

I just went to the Loc8tor page to check it out. Talk about irony; the page for RC Plane locating is "404 Not Found". Classic!

Reactions: RavenStorm
Interesting to read some proper research finally carried out on the damage that drones can cause to commercial aircraft.
Small drones may damage helicopters but won't damage planes during take off or landing speeds. Jet engines are already designed to cope with large bird strikes, and it seems the windscreens can cope too.

Might finally start being used as a counter-reference to the press' endless scaremongering.

>>
Findings by the Department for Transport (DfT), British Airline Pilots’ Association (BALPA) and the Military Aviation Authority (MAA) published today in a summary report, reveal drones weighing 400 grams could damage the windscreens of helicopters in particular. However, airliner windscreens were found to be much more resistant. It would take a heavier drone of around 2 kilograms to critically damage an airliner windscreen, and only if the airliner is flying at a high speed; not during take-off and landing.
>>

Drones to be registered and users to sit safety tests under new government rules - GOV.UK

Drones and manned aircraft collisions: test results - GOV.UK

(Windscreen = windshield)

Ian

YouTube / Ian in London
Just think of a drone hitting the window where the pilots are! Pffft. Whatever. I'm not gunna fly where airplanes do. I'll stick to Obeying NFZ's

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming