DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

So you think you have a birds problem?

• Thread starter Deleted member 94047
  • Start date
The birds swarming over the lake is indeed a beautiful sight, not so much in this video as when you are there in person. At around 6pm they rush in from the shore and suddenly the air is filled with what looks like thousands of them. I am thinking of doing a shot looking straight down over the water and catching their sheer number. The problem is these are small birds and in the wide angle lense of the MA, they are invisible unless they are close.

Birds have a pretty effective obstacle avoidance system of their own. Otherwise, birds would have mid air collisions with other birds all the time! They aren't usually interested in physical contact unless aggressively defending a nest or hunting prey. When DJI's obstacle avoidance is as good as that of most birds, mid air collisions with objects will largely be eliminated.

Birds have a pretty effective obstacle avoidance system of their own. Otherwise, birds would have mid air collisions with other birds all the time! They aren't usually interested in physical contact unless aggressively defending a nest or hunting prey. When DJI's obstacle avoidance is as good as that of most birds, mid air collisions with objects will largely be eliminated.
No doubt birds are superior to the drone or the pilot when it comes to agility and collision avoidance. I think the best course of action in such cases is to maintain a steady course back to home and leave the OA to the birds. This actually made me wonder what the flight would have been like had I enabled vision systems and OA. I had both front and rear sensors off and OA disabled at the time to avoid the possible false positives from the sun's rays; not because I anticipated the birds swarming - there were only few birds when I took off and about 8 minutes later, the air was full of them as they rushed in from the shore.

the birds make it.
I usually have cockatoos and galahs doing circles but I always shoot up and away so my videos are dodgy.

Wow! That is scary an awesome all at the same time. I haven't come across eagles so far. The ones we have here usually circle high up.

I have the same problem with swallows along our rivers. They nest in the cliffs and rock and seem to be protecting their territory. If I fly straight up they seem to stay lower but still have to land.

This kind of bird doesnt attack your drone, they are curious about it I guess. I met the same kind of birds around here, over cliffs or rivers... They turn around the drone and follow it until the drone ils enought far from their "home"... It's certainly their way to protect their territoty ,or discourage a potential predator...? BTW, it does great effects on vids! ;)
I'm mostly scared about birds of prey, which are more able to attack or hit your drone to protect a territory...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vlad_Zherikhov