DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Software to edit video

wnfaknd

Reactions
whats good software (free and paid) to edit videos? On a mac

iMovie probably came free with your Mac but I forget if it supports 2.7K or 4K footage.

Final Cut Pro X is the obvious upgrade to prosumer/professional use. It may seem expensive but (1) it dropped 75% or so since the prior major release, and (2) spread that cost over years and it's a no-brainer. Lots of tutorials on YouTube. Since the changeover it has also been regularly updated with new features and simpler asset management, all for free.

Final Cut is great. If you have problems with the video looking choppy when playing it back, select to create proxy media when you're importing your files, and then in the viewer window select proxy. That will create low res versions of the files to use while editing, easier on your computer. The final output will still be full res.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Sgvnut
So I have Final Cut Pro X. Not so easy to use. I'll have to YouTube how to use it

You can find a list of commonly used video editing apps here.

So I have Final Cut Pro X. Not so easy to use. I'll have to YouTube how to use it

Once you get used to it a little I think you'll find it's pretty quick and easy. Other video editing apps probably aren't much easier when you're first getting started.

iMovie does indeed support 4k, and can even output ProRes, assuming you have the latest version on a late-model mac with hardware that can actually handle it.

I use FCPX most of the time... iMovie on occasion on my secondary macbook when I'm travelling and want to do a quick edit and post.

As mentioned earlier, iMovie is "free" and included in every mac, FCPX is $300. For Windows machines I used to use Adobe Premiere in the past but I prefer the UI of FCP more, and I'm just happier working on an OS that is not windows in general. Adobe Premiere is not a bad option though if you don't have a mac. Obviously not free though.

Final Cut Pro X isn't bad to learn--once you get the basics down it isn't bad at all. YouTube will teach you the basics in an hour or two, no worries

Reactions: Kookoo
Final Cut Pro X isn't bad to learn--once you get the basics down it isn't bad at all. YouTube will teach you the basics in an hour or two, no worries
Yes that's the beauty of FCPX; it's almost as easy to use as iMovie, but way more versatile and powerful. Adobe Premiere on the other hand is not as user friendly and easy to figure out on your own without consulting some tutorial or receiving training. I kinda feel the same way about Aperture vs Lightroom for photography, which why it's a shame Apple killed Aperture. I just hope FCPX doesn't follow the same fate as Apple's new CEO doesn't seem to care about their "professional" user base any more.

Question from a noob:

I'm fairly proficient with Photoshop, Photomatix, and a host of other photo editing apps but finding it a maze to navigate thru DaVinci and iMovie.

Is there any tips for iMovie that someone doesn't mind giving out?

Question from a noob:

I'm fairly proficient with Photoshop, Photomatix, and a host of other photo editing apps but finding it a maze to navigate thru DaVinci and iMovie.

Is there any tips for iMovie that someone doesn't mind giving out?
There is a youtube video for just about everything. There is also Lynda.com for tutorial videos.

I also use FCPX on my 5 year old iMAC i7, but have to use Proxy mode as the Video card just isn't up to 4K, lucky for me my wife (bless her heart) ordered me a new 5K Retina iMAC with all the bells and whistles for Xmas, so my 'old' one is on eBay.

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro which obviously does not support 4K. So if I import my 4K footage using proxy media will the output still be full res 4K. Obviously I won't see 4K results on my MacBook display but if I play it back on a 4K monitor or tv will it look like it should?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

@finz4lyfe - that is how I understand it to work. The Mavic will be my first 4K camera so I am glad to have learned about Proxy Mode here. I have a 2015 13" MacBook Pro that isn't fully spec'd out. Anxious to see how it handles the rendering. I suspect I'll have time to practice flying while the fan on my mbp makes it sound like a drone [emoji16]

Reactions: finz4lyfe
@msinger in your opinion what's the best Windows10 option for someone totally new to video editing?
Windows Movie Maker. Anything beyond that is going to have a learning curve.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife