DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SOLVED: 4k videos to Iphone

Threshold

Reactions
I want to share how I am able to get high resolution videos from my mavic to my iphone
This took a lot of testing and research but I have successfully brought nearly 4k video to my iphone for further video compositing.

Some annoying basic notes about Iphone/Apple restrictions:

-Apple doesn't allow 4k to be played on or downloaded to device unless it was captured by the device

-Syncing the videos is not favorable as you can't delete videos or photos from the phone when it has been synced

How to get 4k videos on the iphone

1. Transfer raw 4k videos from mavic to computer
2. Using Handbreak (opensource video compression) do the following:
  • Load the raw 4k video and change the resolution to 3,000 width and keep aspect ratio
  • Use the highest bitrate and compression for best quality
  • Make sure the compressed video format is .mp4
3. Once compressed upload to a cloud server (i.e Onedrive)
4. Download Onedrive to iphone and download videos you uploaded to Onedrive to your iphone
5. Congrats... you have almost 4k videos that play on your iphone

Other various notes

I haven't tried anything over 3k resolutions with the iphone, you may be able to trick the OS into playing 3,880k videos. The trick is apple's software blocks 4k video from being played or downloaded on the device, if you use a resolution barely under 4k the OS will play the video.

Yuck! Better to just shoot in 2.7K. Those should play fine on apple devices. I recommend having a second android device with a microsd slot and use VLC player. It makes life a lot easier ;-).

Reactions: newguy and BD0G
Now all you need is a 4k screen (or 3k in your example) on the Iphone and you can actually watch 4k. Until then your watching a compressed 4k feed with 1/2 or more of the pixels thrown out of the original feed since the screen just don't have enough pixels to display the amount the 4k feed has.

iPhone 7 - Technical Specifications

According to Apple their best iphone screen is on the order of 2k or "1920-by-1080-pixel resolution at 401 ppi"

Yes, the slew of apple haters come, was expected. But the idea is not to view the 4k but editing and/or hooking up to a tv.

P.S. My last android phone was the s6 and it died randomly within the first month of owning. I have owned many android phone in my life yet I still go back to apple, oh well.

Yes, the slew of apple haters come, was expected. But the idea is not to view the 4k but editing and/or hooking up to a tv.

P.S. My last android phone was the s6 and it died randomly within the first month of owning. I have owned many android phone in my life yet I still go back to apple, oh well.

Something doesn't seem right here and it all started with a half page and a multi plus step process for what should be a simple task on most up to date devices.

You also say the idea is not to view in this post although your last words on the original post were "Congrats... you have almost 4k videos that play on your iphone". Nor do you mention anything about video editing.

Now you say for editing. And I'm sure the iphone is a great 4k editor right?

Hooking to a TV....... I guess.

Problem is this hole process might work to watch a video but its not very common to use a 4k camera and try to use a non 4K device to Edit, View or Pass threw 4K video. There is ton of better ways if your really want 4K, if not just shoot in the highest quality that you have to view and edit the footage with. ie don't shoot in 4k if you have no 4K devices to play it on. Your also in your steps transfering the file to a computer and using handbreak which is not per say a video editor (altho that's what it does, just not to the extent I'm sure you mean) that would have been a great time to edit your video's not after you transferred it to your iPhone.

It's just a really hokey way of getting mavic footage to your iphone, but I'm sure it will help some Apple users.

iPad Pro 12.9" will handle/import 4K. Newer tech maybe? I know my iPhone 6S+ won't import it.

Can any iPhone 7 owners chime in?

Also OP- what model iPhone do you have?

I edit in LumaFusion on my iPad Pro 9.7. Its not what I’d use to edit anything serious, but it works and fairly well. Luma Fusion is a powerful little editor. I have a 7plus, but haven’t tried to move any 4k video to it yet. Will do when I get home later and report back.

Now all you need is a 4k screen (or 3k in your example) on the Iphone and you can actually watch 4k. Until then your watching a compressed 4k feed with 1/2 or more of the pixels thrown out of the original feed since the screen just don't have enough pixels to display the amount the 4k feed has.

I have never run across a portable device that can use all of the 4K resolution, I guess they exist! Even 4K computer monitors are rare and expensive. The iPad is not throwing out half the pixels. The ipads use a higher resolution than 1080p but it's not anywhere near 4K.

Rob

Reactions: mikeinbox
Threshold great post, thanks, I am going to be trying out some of this on the weekend. I have an iPad Air2 and it's a great portable device for showing off video that I have edited using Adobe Premiere. Resizing it for the IPad should not be a problem.

Rob

Threshold great post, thanks, I am going to be trying out some of this on the weekend. I have an iPad Air2 and it's a great portable device for showing off video that I have edited using Adobe Premiere. Resizing it for the IPad should not be a problem.

Rob
No problem
Something doesn't seem right here and it all started with a half page and a multi plus step process for what should be a simple task on most up to date devices.

You also say the idea is not to view in this post although your last words on the original post were "Congrats... you have almost 4k videos that play on your iphone". Nor do you mention anything about video editing.

Now you say for editing. And I'm sure the iphone is a great 4k editor right?

Hooking to a TV....... I guess.

Problem is this hole process might work to watch a video but its not very common to use a 4k camera and try to use a non 4K device to Edit, View or Pass threw 4K video. There is ton of better ways if your really want 4K, if not just shoot in the highest quality that you have to view and edit the footage with. ie don't shoot in 4k if you have no 4K devices to play it on. Your also in your steps transfering the file to a computer and using handbreak which is not per say a video editor (altho that's what it does, just not to the extent I'm sure you mean) that would have been a great time to edit your video's not after you transferred it to your iPhone.

It's just a really hokey way of getting mavic footage to your iphone, but I'm sure it will help some Apple users.

Something is not right? If you read the first few lines of the post I stated it's apple's way of preventing 4k from being streamlined on iPhones for the public. If you don't have an iPhone, why even troll on this thread?

As a decade user of the adobe suite and 3d artist, I love the idea of not sitting at a computer to composite non professional drone footage. I get tired when I get home from work and the last thing I want to touch is a computer.

As a side note, I notice a big difference when playing 4k and 1080p on ANY device. Maybe you need a new pair of glasses?

iPad Pro 12.9" will handle/import 4K. Newer tech maybe? I know my iPhone 6S+ won't import it.

Can any iPhone 7 owners chime in?

Also OP- what model iPhone do you have?
I have the iPhone 7 plus. you can shoot in 4k but cannot download of stream it.

I have the iPhone 7 plus. you can shoot in 4k but cannot download of stream it.

Ah- also I do need to clarify that the iPad Pro testing I did was with my GoPro hero 5 black.
Was able to pull in the 4K video with the lightning/micro SD card adapter they have. Wasn't the .lrv (low resolution version) copy of the same file.

Going to take my apple sd card reader to the Apple Store next time I remember and see what I can get to work. At the moment I have a iPhone 6 and can only download and edit video in 1080 to my iPhone.

(cough, cough, Nvidia Shield K1, cough) :)

I've seen several people here use this tablet. Is there anything particularly good about it for use with the Mavic compared to, say, an iPad?

I've seen several people here use this tablet. Is there anything particularly good about it for use with the Mavic compared to, say, an iPad?

HDMI output so goggles or external HDMI device connection is simplified. Its also a very powerful tablet based on the processor used. Its targeted to gaming so its got to be faster than the average tablet.

HDMI output so goggles or external HDMI device connection is simplified. Its also a very powerful tablet based on the processor used. Its targeted to gaming so its got to be faster than the average tablet.

Great, thank you. And it's fairly cheap at $199. What goggles work with this setup?

Any that accept HDMI inputs. So there are quite a few! Cinemizers, Headplay, FatSharks. The list goes on and on.

Any that accept HDMI inputs. So there are quite a few! Cinemizers, Headplay, FatSharks. The list goes on and on.

Great, have you used any of these?

And does the Nvidia Shield fit into the bracket on the controller or did you need to buy a separate one (if so, which one)?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dean1980