DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Solved! Spotlight mode (Activetrack Speed Control)

InvisibleName

Reactions
Has anyone used the Spotlight mode to record video of a static object rather than a moving one? It would appear to be really useful, but I can't make the MA fly at anymore than snails pace (keep forgetting to check what speed it's actually doing & I'm away from it at the moment) - can the speed be increased??

Spotlight mode is perfect for recording a static object. You control the speed and movement with the sticks while the mode keeps the camera pointed at the object.

Spotlight mode is perfect for recording a static object. You control the speed and movement with the sticks while the mode keeps the camera pointed at the object.
I know what it does, but I can’t get the speed above 2Kph

I have not had this problem; I can control the speed with the sticks. But I confess that I normally fly slow in this mode anyway. Too fast and you are likely to lose your tracking. I will play with it this evening and note the speed I get.

I have not had this problem; I can control the speed with the sticks. But I confess that I normally fly slow in this mode anyway. Too fast and you are likely to lose your tracking. I will play with it this evening and note the speed I get.
Have you had a chance to try this out & confirm your max speed?
I’ve had thought, but haven’t been able to check it out yet. I have Obstical Avoidance in Active Track set to on, I wonder if this forces the MA to fly slowly? I’ll try it the next time I fly (after the strong winds that are blowing over the UK have gone!)

Last edited:
Has anyone used the Spotlight mode to record video of a static object rather than a moving one? It would appear to be really useful, but I can't make the MA fly at anymore than snails pace (keep forgetting to check what speed it's actually doing & I'm away from it at the moment) - can the speed be increased??

I haven't but I'm going to now.... :)

Any luck? I tried this morning with Obstacle Avoidance turned off, but no improvement - still only 2kph!

Not yet sadly. The weather here in France is desperate - it's been raining chats and chiens for days :confused:

I watched this a minute ago - it's a Pro rather than an Air - and he gets to Spotlight mode shortly after the 2:00 mark, and when he starts moving the drone towards the end he's getting up to 3m/s which is 10.8kmh, so unless the mode is different on the Air a higher speed than 2kmh ought to be feasible?
But I'll have a bash as soon as this weather moves on...

Got a question though (still raining)... Since the gimbal only moves vertically, do I assume that in Spotlight mode you're actually flying sideways and the app is compensating the drone's orientation as you go in order to stay facing the subject?

Got a question though (still raining)... Since the gimbal only moves vertically, do I assume that in Spotlight mode you're actually flying sideways and the app is compensating the drone's orientation as you go in order to stay facing the subject?
Correct. Once you've selected your subject by 'drawing a box' around it, you press GO, then when you push your stick forward it will head towards the subject. To miss it, you need to slide to the left or right, but the camera & drone will remain looking at the target. As you pass the subject the drone will progressively rotate to keep the camera locked on your subject, eventually flying backwards.

This is worth watching:

That's even better than I expected - good video, I've seen a couple others he's done too. There's a couple of abandoned chateaus near me that I'll be using that on. When the sun comes out.

I’ve sussed it! I’m using DJI GO4 ver 4.2.20 in iOS which includes the introduction (from 4.2.16) of Activetrack speed control. When you select Activetrack, but before you select Spotlight, a slider appears which allows you choose whether you want more speed, or bias it towards Obstacle Avoidance. Mine was set to the later! Adjusted it for more speed and it now works..... and it’s brilliant!

Nice one! So it's a kind of Spotlight meets Tripod scenario if you want OA then....makes a lot of sense, can't wait to get out and try it. Right now even the left-footers down at Lourdes are under water so it won't be any time soon. Then again I might just jump in the car and nip down there with a video camera just for some entertainment!

OA is useless in spotlight mode. Spotlight requires an unobstructed view of the target to initially set it and the mode will keep the nose pointed at the target regardless of direction of flight. The speed control would come in handy if you want a slow, cinematic look to your shot.

This one was driving me crazy but found the solution!
All the software and firmware was updated but the speed was still dead slow...
If your drone is too slow (almost stopped) when using Spotlight check your EXP settings! In my case I had the settings reduced to avoid jerky movements but it influenced the movement in spotlight even with full deflection of the controls (which it shouldn’t). Reseted the EXP and Gain settings and everything went back to normal speed!

This one was driving me crazy but found the solution!
All the software and firmware was updated but the speed was still dead slow...
If your drone is too slow (almost stopped) when using Spotlight check your EXP settings! In my case I had the settings reduced to avoid jerky movements but it influenced the movement in spotlight even with full deflection of the controls (which it shouldn’t). Reseted the EXP and Gain settings and everything went back to normal speed!
Definitely going to check this out tomorrow, I thought I’d found the solution ages ago (as mentioned earlier in this thread), but I’ve not had any success since the last Go update.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada