DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Something is wrong

focus5522

Reactions
Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum so hi. Been flying Mavic mini then sold it and got the mini 2 when it was released, so about 7 months in total of flying. 2 Days ago I seen the DJI fly app had a update but not for android on the play store. I seen people on YouTube downloading the app from DJI download page so I did and installed it Version 1.2.2. I have flown twice with this update and its been a nightmare. First time having problems coming back, never experienced anything like that before. Then today went to give it another go in wide open field, took it up to 120 meters but kept it close to me and it was okay no wind just a clear day with 26 satellites. Then after about 2 minutes it started going backways at full speed without me touching the controller. Warning saying Max power load reached. Code 30168. I hit return to home 4 times then lost connection. It had flown backwards and descended at the same time and crashed into the bushes. I clicked find my drone and after about 30 minutes off climbing though trees and bushes I found it. Not too much damage but I have the DJI refresh so going to start a claim as I have no confidence in it to fly it once more. I use a old Samsung S6 just to fly the drone but I am thinking its the new update as never had any problems like this and the mini 2 has been great to fly compared to Mavic mini.

Reactions: Robyhe
We need the firmware versions for the AC/RC. It may not be a fault of the phone app, or it may be the interaction of the 2. I know I'm not upgrading anything until we get some verification of the new firmware/app versions.

Reactions: focus5522
DO NOT start a refresh claim, this may be a malfunction and NOT your fault so why should you pay for the repair? Establish an idea of the cause before you decide on a course of action.
Post the flightlogs on here, instructions for find them are given on DJI Fly- DJI Download Center- DJI and subsequent pages.
I am an IOS numpty and following those instructions I was able to find them so an iphone user should have no problem

Hi if I was not to use care refresh what would you suggest? Would I take it up with DJI themselves.
Thanks

Reactions: Thomas B
Even if you do go through care refresh they first determine whether it was a warranty or user issue. They did exactly that to my Mini, sent photos of the logs and damage informing me it was not a warranty issue and that refresh would be used. Maybe it's a new thing?

I hope this is the log

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-12-28_[11-50-35].txt
    491.5 KB · Views: 38
This
it started going backways at full speed without me touching the controller.

This is a typical symptom of yaw sensing error. If you check out the log at 01m 35.7s, the arrow representing the craft turned by about 180 degrees without any rudder input followed by the arrow accelerating forward by itself. As you saw the craft flying backward, the direction of the arrow must be wrong. It was caused by the IMU, for unknown reasons, making an incorrect adjustment to the yaw reading in flight.

Exactly the same problem has been encountered by a local pilot with his Mini 2 about a week ago. The erroneous yaw adjustment was also 180 degrees. The new version of FLY APP was not yet out at that time so the APP is not to be blamed.

Last edited:
Even if you do go through care refresh they first determine whether it was a warranty or user issue. They did exactly that to my Mini, sent photos of the logs and damage informing me it was not a warranty issue and that refresh would be used. Maybe it's a new thing?
As long as you don't select Express. Express bypasses the evaluation.

Did anyone happen to notice the max speed on that Airdata page, can that be real?

Did anyone happen to notice the max speed on that Airdata page, can that be real?

I think it's real. The craft took only 4.6 seconds to cover the following distance. The corresponding average speed was 23 m/s which is not far from the max instantaneous speed of 28 m/s shown on AirData

1609206373697.png

My Mini 2 started going into Atti mode with 24 sats locked since the last app update, however today new firmware 1.02 seems to have it flying correctly again. Definitely don’t claim using Care Refresh
Having a particular incident before an update and not having it after an update is not conclusive proof of anything.
It's simply a coincidence.

You would have to be able to replicate the issue every flight before and demonstrate that the issue is gone after the update to know that the update made any difference.
There are lots of possible causes for flight incidents and firmware/software is very rarely to blame.

Having a particular incident before an update and not having it after an update is not conclusive proof of anything.
It's simply a coincidence.

You would have to be able to replicate the issue every flight before and demonstrate that the issue is gone after the update to know that the update made any difference.
There are lots of possible causes for flight incidents and firmware/software is very rarely to blame.
Hi, your correct, I’ve just had my flight data analysed over on DJI forum, looks like it was a minor yaw error, luckily it didn’t translate into anything serious.

Ok but the dji spec page lists the maximum speed as 16m/s or approximately 36mph, so how is it getting to that speed? I thought dji drones were ground speed governed.
What am i missimg?

Ok but the dji spec page lists the maximum speed as 16m/s or approximately 36mph, so how is it getting to that speed? I thought dji drones were ground speed governed.
What am i missimg?
All bets are off with a yaw error.
The drone accelerates rapidly on a curved path, trying to correct it's position and stay still.
But every move to correct puts it further away so it keeps correcting, getting further and further away.

They are speed governed, but with a yaw error the "governor" can't work correctly. If yaw is 180° off then every action it attempts to slow down will instead make it go faster and it runs away until it's going as fast as it physically can...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman