DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spark 2 in July? Rumor or reality?

Former Member

Reactions
Now that the action cam has been released, whats next for DJI? Rumor has it that a Spark 2 being released in July. Any leaks or pics?

I dont know about how trustworthy this site DroneDJ is, I just saw this article:

If this is true (spec wise), it will leave the MA dead in the water. I want it to be true, but why would DJI introduce a product that competes directly against one of its own? As I said before, the current product line is nicely spaced, and this rumored Spark 2 would simply push the MA into irrelevance. Now, if they update the MA at the same time or have already cut back production on the MA, it would make a lot of sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Former Member
to me the only worthwhile update for the spark would be to give it folding arms so it would be easier to transport, there needs to be a significant difference between the different models in the line up and as stated to much of an upgrade would have a knock on effect on the line up

If this is true (spec wise), it will leave the MA dead in the water. I want it to be true, but why would DJI introduce a product that competes directly against one of its own? As I said before, the current product line is nicely spaced, and this rumored Spark 2 would simply push the MA into irrelevance. Now, if they update the MA at the same time or have already cut back production on the MA, it would make a lot of sense.

They do it occasionally when announcing a new product. Spark in May 2017, then the Mavic Air in Jan 2018. Made me angry that I just paid $750 for the Spark flymore, then the Air came out for around the same price with a 4k, 3 axis gimbal, and foldable arms.

Reactions: Shon
Rumor has it that a Spark 2 being released in July.
DJI is very good at keeping things under wraps until they are getting close to release.
There are no credible rumours for anything 2-3 months away.
Just dubious predictions, guesses and hoaxes.

Well, for one, if the Spark 2 will come, it MIGHT eat into the Mavic Air, but then the Mavic 2 Air will move up as well... I think it is the natural cause of product development to get better and better. If the phantom series will be discontinued, this allows space for the Mavic range to move up as well, giving some more breathing room on the bottom.

On the other hand, I have learned not to really expect anything from DJI, they may release products and abandon them seemingly on a whim... So for myself, I have been contemplating replacing my Spark with a Mavic Air. The only things holding me back so far have been the noise generated by the MA and the fact that there is no charging station for it (combined with the short flying time). I will keep contemplating some more till after July (or maybe get the Air before my holidays ;-) )

Reactions: Former Member
what we really need is the sparks and mavic airs to be fitted with ocusync like the mavics then they would be greatly improved and the choice of which one to buy would depend more on the size flying time and ,portability and what the requirements of use are.the fact that they have limited range and signal quality i think is a factor when upgrading,just because the spark is small it should be able to have a reliable signal at all times

what we really need is the sparks and mavic airs to be fitted with ocusync like the mavics then they would be greatly improved and the choice of which one to buy would depend more on the size flying time and ,portability and what the requirements of use are.the fact that they have limited range and signal quality i think is a factor when upgrading,just because the spark is small it should be able to have a reliable signal at all times

I agree.

Spark 2 wouldnt work. I believe it would effect DJIs annual earnings. They would have to come out with something that would draw seasoned drone fliers as well as new pilots. If they came out with a Spark 2 it would only be interesting to new buyers. They need to get both new and old pilots to buy. Spark 2 not interested. Something new in design and function is key.

As UAV regulations tighten, I think a spark sized drone will be the most widely appealing product for the general public and enthusiasts. So, that is reason enough for DJI to update the line. I also think DJI will shave off 50 grams from the existing spark to make SPARK 2 under 250g :)

As UAV regulations tighten, I think a spark sized drone will be the most widely appealing product for the general public and enthusiasts. So, that is reason enough for DJI to update the line. I also think DJI will shave off 50 grams from the existing spark to make SPARK 2 under 250g :)

Good point!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803